Daypack - Camera Carrying + Hiking Functionality

TassieFig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In fact all my gear now days is really heading towards the ultralight range of gear sizing/styles/weight so less carrying capacity is required.
With this is mind, I'm sure you could get away with around 16-20L. I can easily stuff everything you mentioned into my 20L and still have room left. Going ultralight does require a bit more thought and tinkering but you obviously have done that :thumbup:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Paramo Helki Jacket and Cascada II trousers over merino top and UnderArmour 6" boxerjocks, Tilley hat, merino wool socks for me.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
At some time in the relatively near future I need to sort out a daypack that I can use:

[1] As a carry-on bag for flying internationally [UK in the first instance];
[2] Carry my Olympus OM-D EM-1 or more likely Olympus OM-D EM-5ii plus at least an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 PRO lens. Not really decided on other lenses as yet but may just go with the one;
[3] Carry raincoat, rain pants, snacks maybe lunch somedays etc for day hiking in the UK [aiming to walk Wainright's Coast to Coast over ~ 15 days]
[4] Bonus: Tablet sleeve (10"]

I had been tossing up the idea of camera specific pack such as the Mindshift Gear Rotation series of packs and then I came across this blog post at PetaPixel where the author takes the path of a Osprey pack with a Tenba BYOB 13 camera insert.

So I thought I would drop in here and ask what folks do in such situation? Any suggestions on particular good day packs or other options for carrying camera gear and hiking gear.

My sort of short list at the moment is (really based on what others have mentioned):

LowePro Photo Sport BP 200 AW II [weight is a bit on the high side]
Mindshift Gear Rotation180 Trail 16L (discounted price at the moment]
Mindshift Gear Panorama 180 22L or maybe the Mindshift Gear Travel Away 22L

Another possible option but it is getting on the large size but the weight is not too bad, is a Marmot Graviton 36. WOuld need to use an insert but. Could maybe cut back to the one pack between the two of us which I am sure Anne wouldn't complain about :)
Sounds like a great trip :)
Say hello to Angela Merkel if you meet her.
The Wainwright Society :: The Coast to Coast footpath

JanW

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Here's another thought. If you're just going to take the EM5 II and the 12-40 Pro, maybe all you need is a camera pouch to protect the camera when you put it in a regular backpack?

This is exactly what I do when we go out hiking. Why would you want to put your camera in a bag when you're walking? I always have may camera ready for use and only put it in the backpack when it is raining.
When I take an extra lens with me I have a small pouch that clips to the belt of my backpack. No need do take off the bag to switch lenses.

Jan

dlentini

Mu-43 Regular
I would really recommend a "real" backpack and NOT a camera protector with straps. You are still going to walk for 15 days so having the weight on your hips will making the trip much more enjoyable.

If you hiking with your family and the plan is that everyone having it's own backpack with stuff, get a larger bag for yourself so you can take over your families weight. :wink:

Derek

Mu-43 Regular
Lots of good advice so far. I'm in the regular daypack camp, and tend to carry a 1"-sensor compact when hiking; I just attach its pouch to my shoulder strap with a carabiner or similar. So, not quite in the same camera category. That said, I'd definitely second this:

...an all-day pack must...have a mesh back panel to allow full air flow. I am willing to carry a slightly heavier pack with these comforts as they "carry" lighter by the end of the day.

For any extended hiking, I almost exclusively use packs that have some kind of suspended mesh back panel. I find them to help a lot with reducing flash-off (as do merino wool shirts, for what it's worth). I like my Lowe Alpine Centro 35 as it carries really well for me. Looks like they don't make that model any more, but here's their AirZone (ventilated) line of packs. The Osprey Stratos series is nice, too.

As for volume, part of that depends on how big you are. I'm not quite at the ultralight level when backpacking, but do pack lightly. However, I'm 6' 1" (185 cm in civilized units), and 180 lbs (82 kg), and things like clothing are scaled proportionately! I'm a US-size large up top, and large or medium for bottoms. When I frequented backpacking fora to learn about how to reduce my pack weight, I was shocked by how little people's clothing weighed; then it would come up in another thread that that person was, say, 5' 4" (162 cm) and 120 lbs (55 kg), and wore size small in everything. And used small sleeping bags. And sleeping pads. And.... Anyway, you get the idea.

So, as I think you know, the most important thing is to pick a pack that is comfortable for you. Consider mesh back panels, especially if you sweat in most weather when hiking. Then get a volume that will fit all of your intended gear in a manner you can live with (e.g., do you just want to stuff things in easily most of the time, or are you okay with carefully packing and unpacking things every time you want something?). With my size, I'm in the 30-L vicinity in the wilderness, for what it's worth, with similar gear, food, and water. I can work with less space in warmer weather, or in civilization.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
If you are doing some serious hiking then the solution is only one if you value your back: a proper rucksack with suspension and seeing you are walking in the UK a waterproof hood that can be pulled out when it rains to ensure no water gets into your rucksack. Go to an outdoor sports shop check out this stuff online.

Camera carrying rucksacks are not made for long distance carrying of loads on your back. I know this from experience. I have a camera backpack rotting in the attic. It was just not up to the job.

The good news is that a proper hiking rucksack costs much less than the rip off camera rucksack solutions.

PeterG

New to Mu-43
At some time in the relatively near future I need to sort out a daypack that I can use:

[2] Carry my Olympus OM-D EM-1 or more likely Olympus OM-D EM-5ii plus at least an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 PRO lens. Not really decided on other lenses as yet but may just go with the one;
[3] Carry raincoat, rain pants, snacks maybe lunch somedays etc for day hiking in the UK [aiming to walk Wainright's Coast to Coast over ~ 15 days]

I had been tossing up the idea of camera specific pack such as the Mindshift Gear Rotation series of packs and then I came across this blog post at PetaPixel where the author takes the path of a Osprey pack with a Tenba BYOB 13 camera insert.

So I thought I would drop in here and ask what folks do in such situation? Any suggestions on particular good day packs or other options for carrying camera gear and hiking gear.

My sort of short list at the moment is (really based on what others have mentioned):

Another possible option but it is getting on the large size but the weight is not too bad, is a Marmot Graviton 36. WOuld need to use an insert but. Could maybe cut back to the one pack between the two of us which I am sure Anne wouldn't complain about :)
I use the Panorama since about 2 years. I am very happy with it. It is small enough to fit under the seat in airplanes. The camera compartment has space for the EM1 with the 12-40 mounted, plus e.g. 75/1.8 and 7-14/2.8. Even the 40-150/2.8 fits.
There’s enough space for a raincoat and some food in the main compartment.
I find the bag very comfortable. Plus i like how easy you get to camera and lenses while bag is on your back.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While the mesh back packs are definitely nicer for sweatiness, the F-stop medium sized packs strike an excellent balance. The comfort, quality of shoulder straps and hip strap, suspension and adjustability is excellent, and size/weight/shape balance for the Ajna/Loka sized packs is really great. At least as good as more traditional hiking packs without mesh. They're Alu framed, so not super light, but I would not hesitate to take my Loka on a longer hiking trip in moderate temperatures. It's more comfortable than my old McKinley hiking packs.

I don't do a lot of long hikes, mostly backpack travel, so ability to pack the bag into an overhead is important to me. The commonality I see in packs with a well ventilated back is their poor bulk-to-contents ratio, which makes them less suitable for carrying a decent quantity of camera gear alongside other stuff.

If I were only packing a 1" compact or single body/lens, and didn't care if it fit well in a carry-on bin, I would consider a chest mounted case and get the optimal hiking pack for ventilation. The F-Stops are an excellent compromise solution for my needs.

Tsky

Mu-43 Regular

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Now that bag looks like a good solution.
I'm using the Jack Wolfskin Acs Photo Pack. 30l, proper mesh airflow and strapping, space for everything for a day hike. Can carry all my m43 gear, i.e. gripped em2, pro 7-14, 12-40, 40-150, 60mm macro, Panasonic 100-400, younghou flash, etc, plus waterproofs, food etc. Can be had for reasonable money too...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Wolfskin-ACS-Photopack-Backpack/dp/B00G87SI6W/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=41U-DOjHSoL&dpPl=1&keywords=jack wolfskin acs photo pack pro&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&qid=1506845541&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_2&sr=8-2

Jack Wolfskin ACS PHOTO PACK PRO Camera backpack - JACK WOLFSKIN

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Unless it is too deep. Flying to Italy soon and I have a 10kg weight limit. In China I was restricted to 1 carry on at 5kg. There were people with 3 bags coming on board, complaining that there was not enough space to put their bags into an overhead locker near to them. My Lowe 40 ltr bag complies with most airline carry on sizes at 50x35x20. Some airlines are sticklers and get people to jam their bags into the wire test cages then charge them extra to have it placed in the hold as it is too large and heavy. I may sneak my P42.5 away with me this time.

Derek

Mu-43 Regular
The commonality I see in packs with a well ventilated back is their poor bulk-to-contents ratio, which makes them less suitable for carrying a decent quantity of camera gear alongside other stuff.

This is quite true: the internal-volume-to-external-volume ratio of packs with suspended back panels is definitely less favorable than for most packs without a suspended panel. My solution to that is, uh...well...umm...let's just say that I have a pack problem. I'm pretty sure my solution is not the optimal one for most people....

Michael Sans

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael John Sansom
I have Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L, which carries my EM 5 mk 2 attached to a 12 to 40 mm f.2.8, 60 mm f.2.8 macro and 40 to 150mm f2.8 . and 3 batteries in the sides plus other odds and ends I can get a thin jumper a light weigh breathable jacket sandwiches drink ( it can take a tripod ) you can also carry a normal breathable coat when it to hot to wear by attaching it to the the every day with built in straps. See this Everyday Backpack
or

I am 82 and not all that fit but can carrying the em 5 MK 5 attached 12 to 40 f2.8 and 40 to 150 f 2.8 with the side backed as above for about 3 to 4 hours which for me is doable with some rest stops I find being able to get my camera out by releasing one strap and swinging it in front .
I hope that helps

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
For light trekking I use the Mindshift Horizon. This is a 34 l, very well made, light, backpack. Same materials as Deuter uses for their normal ones. Comfort is better than most normal backpacks, but the price is steep. The rotation feature works perfectly, and the rotation compartment fits a GH5 with 12-60, and additonally a 7-14, 35-100/2.8, and another lens like the 25/1.4 or the 75/1.8. A rain cover can be purchased separately.

sriracha

ballistic photons
  1. assume laptop, camera, and other travel items i would look for a >20L backpack
  2. assume two bodies and three lenses (wide, medium, telephoto) plus all the items from #1, i would look for a 25L - 35L backpack
  3. day hiking bag for camera gear varies wildly depending on length of trail, equipment, and terrain. assume day hikes ~ 10 km hills / mountain or ~20 km flat / paved roads you want a bag that is at most 1 - 1.3 kg empty @ 10L - 20L capacity with a hip belt if possible
with your current selections
  • Marmot may work for #1 and #2 but is overkill for #3
  • LowePro can work for #2 and #3 but i think you can find better options to satisfy #1. it is a top loader which i tend to dislike due to ease of access and do not add much value to day hikes. that said, this is more of a preference thing
  • Mindshift 16L is ok for #3 (camera gear, water, snacks, and rain shells) but a stretch on #1 and #2
  • Both Mindshift 22L are a poor use of space for #1, #2, and #3. the 'rotation' feature is more gimmicky than useful as it cuts into precious space and weight. the Travel Away is geared towards #1 and #2, missing a hydration bladder compartment which usually means you will have to bring a water bottle
i totally agree with the PetaPixel article in that 'hiking' camera bags are a waste of money if you actually hike. the compromise i see most frequently flyers / travelers end up with is a dedicated bag for travel, a separate one for day hikes (usually something super light and compact. i like the Osprey, check out Hyperlite Mountain Gear's Daybreak pack as an alternative), and cameras are stored in a padded insert

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
An update ... still no bag purchased as I got side tracked. Anyway we have changed our trip plans and are now walking the Robert Louis Stevenson Trail in France so the chances of rain are far lower and I think a smaller daypack will be okay. Also we have to fly Ryanair out of France to London so need to meet their cabin bag size restrictions.

Therefore have pretty much decided to go with the Osprey Talon 22 and will use an insert [one one two of those on hand so should be good there] plus hopefully a Peak Designs Capture Clip. Does anyone know by any chance if the Capture Clip will fit the Talon 22's shoulder strap?

Oh I can pick up an orange [not my first colour choice] Osprey Talon 22 for $110 [$85 US] which is a pretty good price, so that helps.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you haven't committed yet, I have another possible solution. When doing day hikes, I carry my camera + 35-100 and 7-14 in a Cosyspeed Streetomatic + (other models may also work). All the food/drink spare jacket and other stuff goes into a normal good hiking backpack. This way, I don't have to take of the backpack off to take a photo and I still get the comfort of a good backpack for the other stuff.

Latest threads

Top Bottom