Daylight modeling bulbs

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
So since I have switched to the em1 coming from a nikon dslr I've got a new issue I'm running into using my studio lights. While I have a myset for studio use with the viewfinder boost so that I can see properly, the orange cast from the tungsten modeling lights annoys me when setting up my shots. Has anyone come across a dimmable daylight bulb that has a standard household base? Plus it needs to be narrow enough to fit within the flash tube. Haven't been able to find the right combination of wattage size and color so far in my searches.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
That's rather strange, as mine corrects for WB in the EVF. I just checked to be sure and while turning on the camera and looking through the viewfinder at the same time, I can see the EVF correcting. I have some halogen downlights in two rooms and LED white warm downlights throughout the remainder of the house and the initial colour in the EVF is different for both types of lighting, but corrects itself in about a second.

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
Well I imagine that this is due to having my white balance set for flash. :) I don't believe the awb can react quick enough to adjust when the strobes fire.

barry

Super Moderator
Some CFL bulbs are dimmable.

Also there's dimmable LED bulbs, but the ones I've seen are a little large.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I use auto WB and shoot RAW, so it doesn't matter what I use for lighting. I prefer it this way, as then I will get a better visualisation of exposure, lighting etc. Even using studio flash with modelling lights, you obviously want to concentrate on the lighting, shadows, highlights etc, more than WB.

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
That's a good point OZ. I always shoot raw in the studio so I suppose I could set my WB to auto or tungsten for that matter just to get a better visualization. Of course reviewing the images then becomes a thing until I've uploaded them to the PC. I will still see if I can hunt down some bulbs that are at least a bit closer in color temp. The old BBA bulbs would do the job if they didn't put out so much heat (they are 250 watt!)

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
I've found a couple of different LED and CFL bulbs that may just fit within the flash tubes on my lights. I might give them a go this evening to see if they fit. I've also found some medium base extenders that might allow me to use more commonly found dimmable CFL's that have the wide bases on them. I will report back what I find.

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
Here's another thought someone suggested. I could adjust the EVF Hue to perhaps compensate. I don't have my camera with me right now though to see if that adjustment is something that a Myset would remember. If so then this could be end of the issue.

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
OK, so the LED bulb I tried (a CREE household style bulb) had too large a base to fit inside the flash tube. I might try a base extender before giving up entirely but for now that doesn't work. Also the EVF color adjustment is very subtle so it is not going to help in this situation either.
OZRay really has the best idea in that I should just use AWB for the studio and shoot RAW (which is the file type I shoot in the studio anyway). I was concerned that maybe the AWB readings wouldn't adjust fast enough for the flash exposure but I didn't really think that through. So for now I'm OK with the regular halogen bulbs but I think I will still experiment with the LED bulbs as they would essentially eliminate heat and would probably last a really long time compared to the halogen modeling bulbs.

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
OK, I have reached the end of this quest and found it not worth it. the base extenders made the bulbs stick out way to far so I went as far as modifying my strobes a bit to move the socket out a little bit (they didn't need to go far). I was able to get one to work for a while but the base of these bulbs has a heatsink and it is conductive enough and close enough to the flash tube that the charge was arcing across the heatsink instead of through through the flashtube with a very quiet "tick". Some of my lights did this, some did not but it was enough for me to back off before I end up damaging one of my lights. I will go back to using a tungsten wb and then switching it in the raw files later or use AWB and again do a final wb adjust in camera raw later.

Thanks for the input everyone and don't be surprised if iI end up back in this thread down the road with a new hair-brained scheme. It's what I do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom