Day X, my EM1 continues to work and Olympus announces new products

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
BIRD SUBJECT DETECTION FOR OM-D E-M1X CAMERA

To help fulfill the growing needs of birding and wildlife photographers and make super telephoto shooting more convenient, development is underway to add Bird Detection capability to the Intelligent Subject Detection Autofocus of the OM-D E-M1X camera. This new feature will be available for the E-M1X via a firmware update that is scheduled for release in Winter 2020.
Also a promised update on the E-M1X for birding...

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
:)

I'm trying to remain positive, but it seems very odd that within a week of a vague MOA that basically sent the industry into a tailspin, they're announcing new products! How can they (or anyone else) be sure that "NewCo" will have the finance to follow this through? They are putting a future obligation onto a new business entity that doesn't even exist yet. All very odd.

Anyhow - I'll treat it as positive and keep looking forward to sunlit uplands!

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I suspect that the major R&D was already done in 2019-2020 and we're seeing them finally get finished for real world testing, get produced and be released. Vaguely interested in the 100-400, 150-400 but that's really a price thing at this point for me along with how much commitment the followup entity has or if Olympus ends up terminating the deal (given it is a proposal) and ends up retaining the camera division.

Personally I don't have too much skin in the game besides wanting an E-M1X from a panic exiter for a good price. My most expensive Micro Four Thirds lens is the wonderful 12-100... Most of my lenses are EF mount in the first place and they're supplemented f/1.8-2 primes and I think I'll keep those even if Olympus disappears.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich

I'm trying to remain positive, but it seems very odd that within a week of a vague MOA that basically sent the industry into a tailspin, they're announcing new products! How can they (or anyone else) be sure that "NewCo" will have the finance to follow this through? They are putting a future obligation onto a new business entity that doesn't even exist yet. All very odd.

I think they're trying to reassure folks that the future is not as bleak as people are thinking. Whether the future is good remains to be seen, of course. I treat it as a positive too, and kind of think it may be...

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It could be as simple as Olympus giving those pathetic doomers a chance to take their victory lap, all those who decided to ignore the fact that it's an MOU and who went and rumored all over the web that Olympus closed its imaging business and guess what - now they all have egg all over them...

My heart is really bleeding for all those doomers spreading their rumors...

It could also be a BIG thank you from Olympus to its loyal clients. Olympus is one of a few brands that enjoy such a loyal client base. See how many went ahead and bought new gear even while doomers were crying the end of the world... Nobody can ignore a client base like that...

My advice - say thank you and let Olympus know... we appreciate the news... :)

Question - why post the news on a US Olympus site?

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
It could be as simple as Olympus giving those pathetic doomers a chance to take their victory lap, all those who decided to ignore the fact that it's an MOU and who went and rumored all over the web that Olympus closed its imaging business and guess what - now they all have egg all over them...

My heart is really bleeding for all those doomers spreading their rumors...

It could also be a BIG thank you from Olympus to its loyal clients. Olympus is one of a few brands that enjoy such a loyal client base. See how many went ahead and bought new gear even while doomers were crying the end of the world... Nobody can ignore a client base like that...

My advice - say thank you and let Olympus know... we appreciate that... :)
Well, we'll see. I think on the basis of what we know - MOA/MOU last week with a financial engineering fund, and now new product announcements this week - that's it's as clear as mud. "Mixed messages" is an understatement. I think we all need to come to our own conclusions - but wait and see is probably the best strategy.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Factory has been built, tooling is paid for, molds are ready, and they can probably churn enough parts in 6 months to feed the market for the lifecycle of the products. NewCo will get a nice inventory, no need to keep any worker on retinue after that, and the factory can be recycled producing endoscopes after the spin-off. Win-win.
The late Maitani alluded to a similar situation at the end of the OM system life. The factory was run 1/2 day per week (or was it even per month ? need to find that article) to stamp top and bottom plates for OM cameras in the end.
M.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Well, we'll see. I think on the basis of what we know - MOA/MOU last week with a financial engineering fund, and now new product announcements this week - that's it's as clear as mud. "Mixed messages" is an understatement. I think we all need to come to our own conclusions - but wait and see is probably the best strategy.
Paul, I think the message is clear, this announcement is great news:-
  • Olympus has been restructuring from 2016 onwards (16CSP)
  • All new products fit the new strategy (lower cost/increased margins)
  • The timing of launching is part of the plan - EM1X & OMD MKIII models
  • Manufacture relocation - timing perfect - especially post virus & China effect
  • Olympus imaging business very well established in the mirrorless market
  • New lens roadmap is a perfect fit to the above story unfolding in front of us...
  • The MOU was necessary to implement the final step (financial / people)
  • The biggest unknown is the 2020 market conditions but ALL equally exposed
This announcement by Olympus is really good news. It's maybe a good idea to extend a little more trust to the company whose products we appreciate and enjoy so much. Just maybe these guys are much smarter than the dooming community like us to think or confuse you with... :)

Siegfried

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
  • Manufacture relocation - timing perfect - especially post virus & China effect
  • New lens roadmap is a perfect fit to the above story unfolding in front of us...
This announcement by Olympus is really good news. It's maybe a good idea to extend a little more trust to the company whose products we appreciate and enjoy so much. Just maybe these guys are much smarter than the dooming community like us to think or confuse you with... :)

Siegfried
Well, I'm remaining sceptical, but I'm hoping you're right Siegfried. I find it hard to believe that the announcement last week was part of some master-plan hatched 3-4 years ago. It seems much more likely that this was the inevitable consequence of years of losses followed by new board members coming in from ValueAct Capital last year. However, I'm sure that Olympus are an honourable company and will do all they can to pass the company off into safe hands - within the bounds of what they can afford.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
The American newsletter...
It’s the last gasp of a dying whale Siegfried, one last breath before death. And the sharks are circling....

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

Siegfried
I like your optimism.

I am a naturally optimistic person - but I've learned to accept that things won't always go my way.

In the great scheme of things, if this works out then great, otherwise, I'm not going to waste my life getting angry about it.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Thank you RichardC, I really appreciate your comment...

Optimism does not mean blindly following something. The more I study what Olympus did from 2016 onward, the more difficult it is to entertain the thought that they might sell the imaging business. It's not only studying what they did strategically, but its also following their actions...

I have no vested interest in Olympus doing well and will be the first to point out mistakes...

Everything is a chess game - follow the players... :)

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom