Day Two with E-P2 (newbie M43 user)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by khollister, Sep 18, 2010.

1. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    So, I bought a E-P2 to try a more stealth/portable platform to use in addition to my Nikon big guns (D700/D300s and all the f2.8 zooms). Took some adjustment and I'm still coping with the camera, but I had a breakthrough today. Went down to the local camera store to nose around and was surprised to find they had Nikon F to M43 adapters. Came home with one, dug out my Voigtlander 40/2 pancake, Nikkor 105/2.5 AIS and Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS and played this afternoon.

Awesome - very easy to focus in the VF-2, even without the 7x zoom. Here's a couple, one with the 40 and one with the 105 (which is still, after 28 years, probably my favorite Nikon lens). I shot them as monochrome jpg's in the camera (!!!!!) and did some levels adjustment and sharpening in CS4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    So my take away so far on the PEN is ...

* Little sucker gets pretty warm, no overtemp indicator, though
    * The battery sucks - I am definitely going to have to get a couple extra :frown:
    * The UI is, uh, different. I really could use a few additional shortcuts to commonly used features (selecting focus area, zoom for focusing without changing the default live view info)
    * I keep feeling the images aren't super sharp like I am used to with my Nikon bodies. I need to get an arca camera plate so I can lock it down in my tripod and take some test shots.
    * Since the IS only operates during the actual exposure, I can't get a feel for how much stabilization is provided. Used to seeing the effect through the VF with the Nikon VR.
    * I am running Normal gradation and no contrast adjustment and feel the images are pretty low contrast compared to what I am used to.

Great form factor and fun to use, though. I need to install the RAW software and see what that gets me. I have the feeling I will shoot with MF adapted lenses more than native stuff, although I do not yet have the Lumix 20mm or 45mm. I tried the Oly 9-18 zoom at the store today, and was not impressed with the images I brought home on the card.

Still getting the hang of it, so things will only improve, I'm sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.