1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Day Backpack Recommendation

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Remnest, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Remnest

Remnest New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for a day backpack for my m43 gear. I own an EM1 with the 12-40 f2.8, the 60mm macro, the 45mm f1.8, and the FL600R flash. For about a year i have been satisfied with my Clikelite Probody Spot-CS. I have traveled to Asia twice with the bag and have able to stash my Surface 3, 2 external HDDs, the gopro, spare cases, batteries, cards, and chargers for all of the items mentioned as well as a thin rain jacket.

However, i recently acquired the 40-150 f2.8 lens and it simply does not fit comfortably in the bag with all of the other gear i normally take with me. Furthermore, in my recent trip to Beijing my EM1 crapped out which drove home the point that i should consider a backup body (EM10 is currently at the top of the list). I have been looking for a good replacement bag that can carry all of this gear but the options are overwhelming. So far i am leaning towards the F-Stop Guru with a medium shallow ICU. Does anyone else have good suggestions for me?

2. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Lower pro flip side 200

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    TT streetwalker

TT URBAN series??

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. lucifer06

lucifer06 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    U can take a look @ lowepro protactic 450 too.

5. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    This is what I use currently - http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-panorama

Pricey but love this damn thing. It's a little on the small side for me already - but in the rotation hip belt I can carry an E-M1 (with RRS L plate) with 12-40 pro mounted (hood reversed), a blower to blow dust off, a case for the polarizer when it needs to come off the lens. I can also carry a smaller lens like a 60mm macro, or a 75mm f1.8 in addition. Of course, batteries, cards etc. are no problem. It will fit my phone in there too. I want to try an iPad mini there just for the one or two apps that won't run on my Windows Phone.

If I have to take the 40-150mm pro, that goes in the main compartment. Along with that, I can carry a lightweight jacket, some snacks and a few other things including a water bottle if I don't want to use a camelbak style water pouch. It has a zippered compartment for the camelbak water pouch though with a tab in the top of the compartment to "hang" the pouch from. This compartment is NOT very spacious though and you can carry about 1L to 1.5L of water at the most IME.

Finally, it has multiple ways to carry your tripod. It doesn't impede access to any of the compartments on the backpack, but all of them require you to set your pack down to remove the tripod from the pack's clutches.

I love the fact that I can get the camera/ lens combo on the move and fire away. Took me some getting used to the mechanism, but now that I am used to it, I absolutely love it.

If I wanted to carry a lot more (like you do) I'd probably step up to the Pro version which is even more spendy. I really don't see a Surface 3 fitting in the Panorama pack that I have, but I can try my 13" MBPro retina if you want and let you know.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    First question is: "Do you really need to carry all that stuff in one bag?" When you're out shooting, for example, you don't need the HDDs, chargers, etc. I used to think this way too but I realized that I can easily put the support stuff (chargers, backup body, Colorspace Hyperdrive, electrical adapters, most of my spare AAs and AAAs) in my carry-on or in (gasp!) a checked bag.

My current small "tactical" backpack is sized so that my ThinkTank Speed Demon drops into the bottom and carries a reasonable complement of stuff. Together with other things I carry in the airplane cabin (variously: tablet computer, ear buds, camping salt & paper shaker, snacks, magazines) the pack slips under the seat in front of me quite nicely and no airline has ever stopped me from carrying both it and a true carry-on. In the field, my carry-on contains a couple of pouches that can be added to the Speed Demon belt for extra capacity and that suffices.

Sometimes the way we state a problem precludes solutions that might actually be the best.

7. Remnest

Remnest New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2013
    Thank you guys for the suggestions thus far, it gives me a few things to look at.

@oldracer@oldracer, I usually carry all of that stuff on the flight with me so i dont have to check it in. However, when i arrive at my destination the surface and HDDs stay in the hotel. The thing is that i do carry most of the other stuff at all times. Since i travel often i like the idea of having a nice compartment to put snacks and a jacket in there while still having space for my main lenses and flash.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. Maybe I wasn't clear. I do too. I carry my pack (with the ThinkTank bag inside plus the snacks, jacket, tablet, etc.) and a carry-on with clothes, shaving kit, and other misc. junk. Between the two I have virtually all my stuff. My wife and I reluctantly but necessarily check one bag. Among other things, the checked bag carries my pocket knife and her aerosol hair spray. When I am carrying a tripod (carbon Benro Travel Flat) it goes in the checked bag too. When I am carrying just a monopod it is either in my carry-on or in the checked bag. This is all for international travel; we do very little commercial air travel in the US.

Just trying to make my suggestion a little clearer.

9. Remnest

Remnest New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2013
    Oh i see, that makes sense. I think im the kind of person that justifies owning a m43 system because its lighter while still carrying the kitchen sink with me. I like having all of my lenses and accessories with me. This includes the gopro stuff lol. My current bag has been perfect for so long. But after buying the 40-150 i realize i cant fit it in there comfortably which scares me since its not a cheap lens.

10. Remnest

Remnest New to Mu-43

Dec 24, 2013
    Saw this bag before i bought my Clikelite, i think i will give it another consideration. Thank you for bringing it to my attention again!

11. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I'm in the same boat after getting the 40-150. On the next trip, I'd like to bring the 12-40, 40-150, 17 (or 25) and 75 with two bodies (EM1 and EM5). I'm deciding between the F-Stop Guru with medium shallow ICU or the Kenti. The latter has side access panels where you could fit two bodies with lenses attached. The former is more of a system bag, and has side pockets for water bottles which the Kenti lacks. I think I'd prefer the Kenti in the city and during bike rides, and the Guru during hikes. Decisions, decisions.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I use an old Lowepro Mini Trekker when I want a full back pack, or a Slingshot 200 for less kit. I know some people have found the AW covers don't work stunningly well in torrential rain, but I've yet to have wet kit. Neither are perfect for M43 as the dividers are really focused around DSLRs but I just add extra dividers from whichever one I'm not using and or the Apex 100 or Apex 140 that are my main small bags.

13. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I use a Guru with a micro ICU (I carry one body and a few lenses) and absolutely love it. The Guru may not be great during bike rides due to the waist strap, but it's been a solid city bag for me. If you want faster access to the camera gear to switch between bodies the Kenti might be a better fit. Hard to go wrong either way.

• Like Like x 1
  14. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for your input. I just made the decision, and put in an order for the Guru with medium ICU. The versatility of the Guru won over the smaller size and ease of access of the Kenti.

15. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    My fav - I gave the same setup, as well as the small icu. I got several of their accessory Garekeeper straps to tie on tripods and other gear. It gives up little or nothing to my Osprey hiking backpacks and works well for air travel and city touring as well.

16. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Aren't the F stop bags heavier than the Ospreys?

17. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Yes, but I'm carrying more weight anyway. The bottom line is I can carry either all day and hardly notice.

18. Arachnarchy

Arachnarchy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2015
    Just did a video review of the F-Stop Loka after a year of use, it might be a little big for your needs but it depends what constitutes a day trip for you.

19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
  20. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Remember that the Guru itself has no fixed size: it can be compressed in thickness. The size of the Guru on the website of F-Stop is the size when it is bulked out. I measured mine with a Medium Slope ICU fitted in (the widest possible ICU at the bottom, allowing for gripped bodies or a body placed sideways). Without adding stuff between the ICU and the outer wall of the backpack, or filling out the outer two pockets at the lowest point of the slope ICU, my measurements would still have it fit within 9". In fact with the hip strap on the side of the bag, I've measured it to be within the 20cm/8" maximum depth allowed on domestic flights in China for example. I can still place things on top of the ICU. With a Shallow ICU you'll be able to shave off some more space. My main target is now to get my carry on within the 11 pounds / 5kg weight limit in place in China. I'll have to juggle some lenses...