David Thorpe's Pen-F review

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DanS, Mar 23, 2016.

1. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I thought I would pass this along for those that don't follow him!

• Like Like x 10
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice review. I like his thoughtful style.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Good review. I enjoyed it and concur with his remarks.

As a Pen-F owner/user, I can confirm this: the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten and... pleasure has a price.

The Pen-F is an awesome camera and I'm really enjoying using it. And I can say the same about the GX8. Are either of these two perfect cameras? Of course not, no camera is.

That said, we live in exciting times for photography gear and have awesome choices to make use of!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    His reviews are, actually what helped me decide on m43, and the G7.

5. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    same here.
    He talked me into m43.

6. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    I will second the last two speakers.

Great reviewer, should be mandatory subscriptions, just for the style.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Always enjoy his reviews.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. PanamaMan

PanamaMan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2013
    I third that! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    This recent post by David is one of the best pieces of photography-related writing I've seen: Are you a black man?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It was David's review of the Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 that swung me. Have a look at it if you haven't seen it (that's the first version of the lens, not the mark II which he also reviews).

11. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    The only bit David missed out on there is that by adding the optional grip the tripod socket is relocated to the centre of the base plate, not that you really need it as the grip has an arca swiss mount milled into its edges. when fitted it removes the issue David had in using a quick release plate with larger diameter lenses.
    I would also recommend it for the extra grip it gives when using larger zoom lenses.

Some stores are doing a special deal if you buy the grip with the camera, I got mine from Jessops in the UK and saved around £40 with the deal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's very well done. But I still prefer silver & black. :D I was ruined by my first Spotmatic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Thorpes reviews are always good...he did make a mistake at the end when he stated the EM10 Mk II has a mic input- it does not.

14. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I have never heard of Thorpe, but I think I will follow him after this. I found the review fair, thoughtful, and oddly philosophical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Good review. I pondered between getting an em5 mk2 and the pen-f, and I'm glad I chose the pen. It's not a better camera than the 5, nor my em1, but it's thoroughly enjoyable to use. I spent all day with it round my neck wandering around various parts of London yesterday, with the screen put away and didn't look at the photos until I got home. Not chimping and actually enjoying what I saw around me was quite liberating for me; I'd never have done that with the big Nikon (I wouldn't even have taken that..).

16. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I have always admired his methods of reviewing photographic equipment. His presentations are always first class and I like his point of view on photography in general. My issue with such reviews, not pointing to his specifically, is that the reviewer does not stick with the camera long enough to come back and report about it's flaws. Not everyone is going to buy a new camera every year or two and it would be nice to know what happens after two or three years of use and such information might benefit those who purchase previously owned models or those considering buying into a brand. Knobs falling off, that swivel LCD had to be repaired twice, the shutter started sticking, battery longevity not what was originally reported or what. It would be nice to have a site that did that. Some motorcycles, and now a few cars, are reviewed when they come out and then again after a year in service. Any problems are noted and included in the final review. Back in the early 1970's Consumer Reports gave rave reviews to certain cars that fell apart within a few years. My brother in law bought two of the cars they recommended in that time period and both of them required more repairs and provided worse service than the other vehicles of that time. In one of those vehicles it was so underpowered that he had to shut off the air conditioning when climbing a short grade. It would be nice to know how a camera performs after that honeymoon period is over.

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I also like David Thorpe's reviews, like others have said that they are thoughtfully put together.

18. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    I think you're onto something there. I've seen cars get awards then for the after-service to be awful!
    Maybe it's something that can be done on here. I had my first Nikon (DSLR) for 9 years, sold it a few weeks ago in very good condition. I've had my em1 a year already but it was second fiddle to my bigger Nikon, which has also now gone. It's going to get a lot more use now and I'm hoping it lasts a good 5 years with no issues!

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    The only way to do that is to wait until camera has been out for a while and during that time monitor forums such as this one for reports of problems. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    One of the things I like best about David's reviews is his pleasant relaxed voice (and Brit accent, of course).
    So many reviewers are loud, pushy and frenetic - high energy Web style -
    I guess they think it makes them stand out.
    But I guess David subscribes to the "If you want them to listen, whisper" philosophy.

• Agree Agree x 1