David Busch's guide to OMD EM1 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Peejay, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Still waiting for this guide in Europe, it's been available in the US for about a week, has anybody got it yet and if so, is it worth it ?

2. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I have the Busch guide for the E-M5 and, in my opinion, it is very poor.
    Most of it is just a rehash of information in the manual and there are also factual errors in it.
    Some of the suggestions indicated to me that the author either didn't understand the camera
    or didn't understand digital photography in general.
    I've gone back to it several times trying to find some insight or gems of wisdom about the camera in it,
    (wanting to get my money's worth), but no luck so far. :frown:

I feel I've learned more about the E-M5 (for free) from forums and youtube than from the book.

Your experience with the book for the E-M1 might be different.
    If you're new to photography and new to digital cameras, the rather basic info in the book might be helpful.
    (when it is accurate).

• Like Like x 3
  3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    From Barry13 in another thread -

"Biofos.com has a lot of the settings documented for the E-M1, and a link to a spreadsheet."

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's an earlier thread here on this book in which I made comments similar to those made by spdavies above. Mr Busch responded and was unhappy with the negative comments the book received but I think it deserves it. As a glaring example of errors, some of the photos of menus used to illustrate various points where of the menu system of a completely different Olympus camera, easily seen due to slight differences in menu layout and things like an ISO100 setting which does not exist. Much of it seems to be a cut and paste from other books with no attempt to correct for differences in camera.

I bought it, read it once, and now it sits in my bookshelf untouched and un-referred to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I bought one of his books for another camera I had and it was a waste of money. Nothing I could not learn from the manual and forums. I wanted and waited for it to be helpful but it wasn't!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peterjvh

Peterjvh Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2014
    Thanks for this. Keep my money, I will. Keep looking as well.

7. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Thank you all. Two other guides are in preparation, one by Darrell Young and one by Gary Friedman. Has anybody been able to judge the quality of any previous guide from either of those guys ?

8. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

I have had three books by Digital Darrell (Darrell Young ) of the Nikonians web site fame. Mastering the D600 and Mastering the D7100 and Mastering the D7000. I still have and use the D600 book. For my purposes I found the D600 book to be excellent as well as the other two. As for the other gentleman mentioned above I have his E-M5 book and did not find it as good as Darrell's books. I didn't know Darrell was doing one on the E-M1. I'll probably buy it when released. YMMV

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Thanks for the feedback on the book. I nearly pulled the trigger on it but thankfully did a quick search and found your comments.

For those interested in Darrell Young's book, Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M1, it is apparently coming out mid to late October. Amazon is suggesting around October 14 and Book Depository in the UK around October 31.

The description at Book Depository reads ...

Regards
    Andrew

10. Peakbagr

Peakbagr New to Mu-43

Jan 14, 2015
    Any thoughts on Gary Friedman's online or printed version of his book on the E M-1?

11. Executive Summary:
    My experience with other books of his led me to buy this the same day I ordered my E-M1, but I have not had the time to go through it yet.

Detail:
    I have Friedman's book on the E-M1, but have not completely gone through it yet: I'm in a very busy period at work and with some freelance on a deadline, and just haven't had the time. I've also been wading through the biofos.com document mentioned earlier.

However, I purchased two earlier books of his on the Sony SLT-A57, and the NE6, and they were both excellent. From what I can tell, most of his books do two things simultaneously:

1. Cover just about every single setting in the camera, and explain -- often with diagrams or sample photos -- what it does and why one would use it.
    2. Cover photography basics, such as aperture and shutter speed.

As a result, beginners will find very helpful material along with some material that still does not yet speak to them. Experienced photographers will be able to jump over the basic material and zero in on what is more interesting for them. At least, that has been my experience. He is great to deal with, and has answered some of my questions rather quickly via email. When I asked for permission to pass along a Sony e-book to whomever might purchase the camera, he responded quickly and generously.

Now, it should be said that not all the photos presented as samples were necessarily taken with the camera that is the subject of the book. You will find some photos that reappear from one book to another. But there is no deception involved, and from what I've seen, they represent fairly and accurately the technique he is trying to cover at the moment.

He usually offers a special section where he goes through every menu item and button, and shares how he configures his unit, and why.

He offers free updates. He makes them available in multiple formats: PDF, iBooks, and Kindle, I believe.

For the OM-D E-M1 specifically, he also includes a multi-page update that deals specifically with the changes that come from the 2.0 firmware update.

• Like Like x 2