Dave Redman from west Michigan with GX1

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Let me make a quick introduction, before start asking ignoramus questions.

As a teenager my older cousin gave me a Agfa 35mm (had a range finder thing to help set focus, and nothing for exposure) and he gave me a light meter with a little circular slide rule thing to determine exposure settings. One thing interesting about that camera was the once set aperture and shutter speed, those two rings could be locked together and both turned together for the same equivalent exposure. And there were marks to show the depth of field for certain f stops. So, most all the concepts needed for understanding of good exposure and focus were all apparent right there in front of me, served as good examples, and I think my cousin explained most everything to me in a few minutes.

With my first job out of college, I got a Minolta SRT201 (man focus, match needle exposure). Used that for years and years, 1976 into the early 2000s.
Then got department store point-shoot digital cameras (about cheapest could find). THen about 2010 or so, started using cell phone camera mostly.

Last year or so, thru discussions with BobT here (that I have known from 1980's Suzuki motorcycle forum, and have meet a few times), he gave me the idea that MFT was the way to go for better camera features and portability. And, me, being a cheap guy, I found a used GX1 for a good deal (came with the standard 14-42 lens f3.5-5.6) as a way to gain familiarity with things without spending several hundred dollars.

(I would be the third guy that I know that BobT has recruited. I say that because maybe he gets a few status points or something har har har)

Many more things I can blabber on and on about.

Here is link to recently set up flickr albumns.
Dave Redman’s albums | Flickr
One album is "older" , but the others are pics in last couple months with the GX1.

Seems like a fairly friendly-helpfull group hereon MU43.
Does seem that most of the discussion is related to new-recent cameras and guys talking about new expensive lens to add to there collection of ten thousand dollars worth of lenses and multiple thousand dollars worth of cameras. But that is okay.

Oh, my avatar pic is of me at a local community photo contest-show, that I have entered most every year for last 12 years or so. Never even placed, so should have known. But a couple years ago did get a 3rd place.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew L
Welcome! Those old farm equipment photos remind me of childhood - I grew up on 60 acres of the old ranch that my grandparents had run; lots of rusty tractors, seeders, harrowers, disc/plow/rake etc. etc. One of my favorite tractor memories was driving an old green Erickson track with only two big levers for steering and braking.

Mu-43 Legend
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, sometimes we get wrapped around gear, but there are tons and tons of image threads here, too, and some about cheap gear too ;)

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome Dave!! You may remember me from the GS forum.
The GX1 is a nice little camera, a review of one on the Luminous Landscape site was what got me interested in m4/3 in the first place. I ended up with other m4/3s cameras, but recently bought a nice used GX1 and quite like it. Did you get the viewfinder with it? I find that it’s a big help, but if you’re used to shooting with just a screen then you may not need it.
I’ve found that buying used lenses lets you put together a very functional system for not a lot money.
Hope you enjoy the m4/3s world as much as I have!

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unfortunately Flickr appears to be acting up at the moment so I can't see your images, but welcome to the fold. I picked up a used GX1 to stand in for my GX7 after I dropped it and had to send it back for repair. Except for the the LCD being lower-res than the newer GX7 I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the two for the photos I take. Enjoy it!

Oh, and that kit lens is really under-rated IMHO -- you did good!

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
Welcome Dave, from the other side of the Atlantic. I pride myself on mostly not having spent a fortune on my camera kit (with the exception of one lens, maybe...).

I only very recently gave my G3 to my daughter (who still uses it) which is basically the same camera as a GX1, in a different body.

Cheers,

Rob

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Last edited:

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
The GX1 is a nice little camera, a review of one on the Luminous Landscape site was what got me interested in m4/3 in the first place. I ended up with other m4/3s cameras, but recently bought a nice used GX1 and quite like it.
Even though I have newer cameras, I still use my GX1. It is a great tank bag camera.
Small, light, great pictures, and if something happens to it, not a huge loss.

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Oh... maybe you saw pics of gs1100 and then pic of it laying on road.

Oh. Yah, it’s okay, went offside of road in wet grass and mud, went down, and slid back onto road on crash bars. No damage to BIKE.

Thanks for asking.

JanW

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes, I saw your Suzuki laying on the road in your photostream.
Glad the crash bars did their job and you and your bike are OK.
I had a Honda Transalp for years and I still don't like to see a bike laying on the road..

DaveRedman

Mu-43 Veteran
Yep, my 12 week recovery (broken collar bone) was up Mid September.

Have had a few photo expeditions with the GX1.
Have recently enjoyed experimenting with night time city building shots, crank up the ISO to 3200 or 6400. Should see if I can find a section here for that.
..... and for motorcycle shots.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Welcome from another GX1 fan/user. Great little camera with ergonomics that suit me better than anything else I've tried..and I've lost count of my many trials! :shakehead:

Latest threads

Top Bottom