1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Date displayed in search results

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by barry13, Nov 29, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet,

I was looking for this thread: the Show: Fall Colors

When I searched by Title for 'fall colors' and saw "Order by Most Recent" was set (on the advanced search page), I expected this thread to come up near the top.

Eventually I realized that the date displayed and sorted by is the date the thread was created, not the date of the most recent post.
    Any way to change that?

Here's the final search I did:
    Code:
    https://www.mu-43.com/search/1128787/?q=Fall+Colors&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=54
    (the forum/bbcode seems to have trouble with this URL, ironically, so I put CODE tags around it)

Thanks!
    Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If I'm not mistaken, it seems to sort according to the date of the search match. If the match is in the most recent post, it will sort by that date. If the match is in the thread title, then it will be the first post. I don't know of a way to change that.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    @barry13@barry13 and others:

I reinstalled Google Custom Search but this time combined it with the regular site search. Try searching for "fall colors" again (without the quotes), and you'll see what I mean. There is a tab with the Google results, and another tab with the XenForo site search results.

My question is, which one should show as default? Google or XenForo? Both are useful, but I think the Google one tends to return better results, so I'm inclined to leave that as the default one showing. In Buy & Sell, the XenForo search is more useful, but it's easy enough to click over to the other tab.

What do you think?

4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I like how it looks. Give me a few days to decide what I think of the search result quality.

Thanks!
    Barry

• Like Like x 1
  5. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    OK... Google's working better than I thought a minute ago... If I search by Title only, it's hard to read the titles in the Dark Theme, but the search results are very good:
    upload_2015-12-2_21-20-37.

One other comment... the XenForo search often returns a lot of media/gallery entries, esp. when searching by title; would be nice if those could be (optionally?) excluded.

Thanks,
    Barry

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you click on "More" (Advanced Search), there are tabs that let you restrict your search to Threads and Posts, Conversations, etc. It defaults to Search Everything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet,

The search is a little confusing when searching by User Name; e.g. I'm searching for 'cabriolet' posted by myself, and both the Google Results and the Site Results give me a bunch of other users' posts.
    I think what's happening is it's not finding a match, so it's giving other results; if I search for other terms with my name it works better. I'm not sure if this is new behavior (since adding Google), or if it's always done that.

Thanks,
    Barry

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's always done that. Not something I can change except to make the site search results the default tab if you think those results are better. If I'm not mistaken, the Google results ignore everything except the search term itself.

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    OK, no problem.

If there's a way to have it show the site results by default only if an advanced search is done, that could be useful, but otherwise I'd leave it with the Google results by default.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1