1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dat 75...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Aug 20, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I got mine today...took it out really quickly, and took some random test shots (will post them later) of my friends during a hike, just to test it.

Before the Oly, I had a Canon 5D Mark II with a bunch of L lenses, including the famed 135L. One of the best things about the 135L was that it was deadly sharp, even wide open. That lens was the reason I kept the Canon kit so long.

Well...it looks like the Oly 75 is even sharper. It's ridiculous. I took a head shot of my friend at f1.8 (doubt I'll use this lens on any other setting haha), and even just looking at the JPEG on the screen you can see each individual pore on her skin. It's...ridiculous.

Haven't tested bokeh yet, but I'm expecting it to be slightly less magical than the 135L, due to the smaller sensor size. Technically I'm losing 1 2/3 stops of DOF, but since the Oly's sharper, I'd say it's AT LEAST as sharp at f1.8 as the Canon was at f2.2 or 2.5...so, I'd only be losing a stop of DOF (plus, assuming my subject distance is the same, I gain a little due to the increased FL), realistically speaking...plus, I'm gaining IBIS...and the lack of stabilization was my only (but very massive) complaint about the 135L. I constantly had to watch my shutter speed and quite often (since I like to shoot at night) had to crank the ISO way up to compensate for that.

I'll post up samples, but it's just nutty...I was afraid that I'd regret having both this and the 45 (which is also a great lens, though I don't think QUITE as sharp as the 75), but the 75 is (relatively speaking) a beast...weighs nearly three times as much, and is probably two or three times the volume of the 45. So...I think the 45 will be my travel prime, and the 75 will be my around-the-home-country prime. :D

PS: I like street candids...this lens should be an absolute street candid monster when coupled with the OM-D. Do I sound giddy yet? Because I am! :D

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I'd love to see samples. I've been wavering on this one. No doubt it won't disappoint, but since I have the 25, 45, 60, 40-150, I'm not sure I need the extra reach, but the curiosity of trying it for myself is just itching. I got to say, the 60mm macro is darn close in sharpness, but obviously doesn't have quite the speed, but is impressive for it's cost.

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I've never played with the 60, so I don't know about any of the differences...but I think this would be hard to beat...this is just a JPEG straight off the card (I lightened the shadows a tiny bit because I underexposed slightly, but that's it). Everything set to Neutral in the camera, zero sharpening either in camera or in post.

Original:

9554278319_5efa92ecfe_b.
    TVOM2230l by canonzenit, on Flickr

100% crop:

9557065684_fabe4ebeec_b.
    TVOM2230lcrop by canonzenit, on Flickr

:)

Attached Files:

4. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    What was the f/stop on that shot?

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I wish that I could afford this lens, it is absolutely awesome. For now, I'll enjoy the 45. :cool:

6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    As I've said, the aperture was f1.8 :) I really don't think I'll bother stopping this lens down much...I'll play around with it more in the coming weeks (including MF...I've noticed that as great as the AF is on the OM-D, I can usually get a little more sharpness out of my pictures if I MF)...and report back. :D

7. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes you did, and I read it too...somehow that detail slipped my mind when I came back to the thread to reply :smile:

8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Haha no worries at all, I hope I didn't come across as snippy :p

Another aspect of a lens that's very important...CA. This is a pretty tough torture test...shot wide open, bright light from the back/side, white background, dark foreground, and this area is out of focus...about as challenging a situation as you can throw a lens's way, in terms of CA control.

There's the slightest hint of green shift here and there, but I would say that it's negligible, and given the conditions, I highly doubt that lenses costing multiple times this lens's price would have been able to do any better:

9560955580_81f0df3ba2_o.
    TVOM2230lcrop2 by canonzenit, on Flickr

9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Tamas that lens is designed to be shot at f/1.8. :smile: It is apparently sharper closer to wide open than at f/5.6.

I just sold mine but I know its a freaking fine lens. :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, it's a beast of a lens - one that most of us would find hard to let go once it's been experienced. The deeper DOF compared to the 135L on FF is actually a good thing IMHO. Portraits on the 75 still need a little stopping down to make sure all facial features really are in sharp focus. On the 135L you need to be at f5.6 or so to guarantee that and as you say, without IBIS, handholding becomes a factor in poor light at that aperture.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    its stupidly sharp at f11

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/9111572337/" title="P6220095 by kevinparis, on Flickr"> 9111572337_db4244a092_b. "768" height="1024" alt="P6220095"></a>

and seriously stupidly good at all sort of apertures... this is one seriously good lens

Olympus 75/1.8 - a set on Flickr

K

Attached Files:

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Kevin - fantastic shot. Beautiful model and fantastic capture on your part.

Nerdy question though - how do you include images on posts with a click-through link to the Flickr original?

13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thank you...

sharing is done like this... hopefully you will get the jist... copy and paste the highlighted text

Screen_Shot_2013-08-22_at_00_29_07.

K

Attached Files:

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    This is what I do but I still get the link underneath the picture. Do you know why?

Attached Files:

15. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    True, but I like to use these lenses for street candids (I'll put some examples up) not posed portraits...because of the increased distance to the subject, the DOF increases as well, so I did like what the 135L used to give me.

HOWEVER...it was still a razor-thin DOF and I remember that since it wasn't a controlled environment, I lost soooooo many shots due to my subject moving ever so slightly...

I haven't shot the O75 in its intended environment yet, so I'll reserve judgment on that until I do. Either way I'm happy with the lens and it'll be a keeper!

Kevin: nice shot! :)

16. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    My sentiments exactly Bob. Maybe down the road I'll have the $$$ for the 75 but not right now...

17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, it's definitely a kidney-punch to the ol' wallet...but I sold my Canon 5D Mark II and my Tamron 70-300 VC USD and the little 40 STM (awesome little Canon pancake!)...so all that paid for my current Olympus gear. :D Plus, I still have to sell my 135L and the 16-35L II...but I think I'll be smart and the proceeds from that are just going to go into savings. Still, it's nice to switch platforms and end up with some top-notch equipment AND come out ahead financially :D

18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

in my late night screengrab, I seem to have selected the HTML button instead of the BBCode button... select BBcode and you should be good

EDIT.... just reread your post... first coffee still working through my system... your question is about the link appearing below the photo... and I am not sure why that happened... will investigate

K

19. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Lowrider. You were warned.:biggrin:

Gordon

20. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    The lens is so sharp that I usually end up using a slight local negative clarity adjustment when taking portraits.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2