Darwin awards to be expanded?

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
@pellicle, I think the first Darwin Award for selfies was in 2014. As such, they've been expanded for some time. Two additional awards were made in 2017, one for elephants again and one for getting hit by an airplane.

My go to on the topic is Bansal 2018, the lead author of which was interviewed in a related article in the Washington Post.
Bansal A Garg C Pakhare A Gupta S said:
Highest number of incidents and selfie-deaths has been reported in India accounting for approximately 50% of total reported followed by Russia, the United States, and Pakistan [Figure 2]. Except India, the ratio of casualties to incidents is approximately 1, whereas it is double in India.
Drowning, transport, and fall form the topmost three reasons for deaths caused by selfies. The most common drowning incidents include washed away by waves on beach, capsizing of boats while rowing, clicking selfies on shore while not knowing how to swim, or ignoring warnings. Similarly, for transport, it is majorly the accidents due to clicking in front of a running train. Among all the reasons for death, drowning and fire have the highest deaths/incident ratio. Also, most of the selfie-related deaths because of firearms occurred in the United States.
About three-fourth of selfie deaths occurred in males. A project called selfiecity[9] has established that women take more selfies as compared to men. But because men are more likely to take risk to click selfie as compared to women, it justifies the higher number of deaths and incidents for men.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
its (better) entertainment than "reality" TV?

Perhaps YouTube could provide a "live feed" that self terminates and publishes to the persons channel ... say, on phone destruction.

@pellicle, I think the first Darwin Award for selfies was in 2014. As such, they've been expanded for some time.
I was meaning in participation not categories (although with increased participation we may need more sub categories)

1. train approaching from rear
  2. roof top (perhaps an entire urban sub category)
  3. cliff top selfie
got to be more

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
oh, we only wish our cameras would work on a selfie stick but no, they are too heavy :rolleyes:
I have used a mono pod as a selfie stick with my em5ii a couple of times lol. Custom shutter option with a couple second delay, 10 shot sequence, 1 sec intervals, af every frame. It actually works great, but it looks absolutely ridiculous. I might take some shots on a random hike or something, but dont have the balls to do it anywhere around people.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I have used a mono pod as a selfie stick with my em5ii a couple of times lol. Custom shutter option with a couple second delay, 10 shot sequence, 1 sec intervals, af every frame. It actually works great, but it looks absolutely ridiculous. I might take some shots on a random hike or something, but dont have the balls to do it anywhere around people.
I have tried a similar thing: put the E-P5 on a monopod and use it as an extension pole to photograph some frogs in a pond (paired with a phone for composition and shutter trigger), but yes, I am way too self conscious to turn the camera around and take a selfie (but no killfie) :oops:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom