1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dartmouth Butterwalk, a tudor building photographed from a different viewpoint

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by grebeman, Mar 23, 2011.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    The Butterwalk must be one of the most photographed buildings in Dartmouth. It is a tudor wooden framed building on granite columns, built between 1635 and 1640. Could the double decker bus on the Plymouth to Dartmouth service act as a platform for a somewhat different viewpoint of this building, albeit that there are some issues with reflections and degrading of the image.

All these images were taken with a Panasonic G1 fitted with the 20mm, f/1.7 Panasonic lens.

A 93 bus entering Dartmouth after its two and a quarter hour journey from Plymouth, passing the Butterwalk.

Here are three closer views of the architecture of this building taken from the vantage point of the top deck of a similar bus.

1020177_1.

Barrie

• Like Like x 4
  2. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    The final picture is my favourite; it looks like the hull (or fo'cas'le) of an old gunboat - and the lone man in the corner sets it off nicely. The second picture is similar, and brighter in mood, but the cars and pedestrians put me off it a little.

Very nice set!

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks Kal, maybe one of the bus drivers that I'm on Christian name terms with could be persuaded to wait "For the decisive moment", but somehow I doubt it :biggrin:

Barrie

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks for sharing some of your home town.

Very historic and interesting.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Same here. I immediately saw the last shot and thought of an old ship. Nice set.

• Like Like x 1
  6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I wish it was my home town Alan, there's a lot more going on there than in my home village of 30 houses :biggrin:, for now I'll have to confine myself to visiting the place, only 12 miles down the road and easier by bus, no problem with parking, though regatta week is probably best avoided. Both of my recent trips were really to visit the dentist, next time hopefully it will be as a free agent with no commitments.

Barrie

7. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree that the last is the best....it reminds me of a building in I think Chester that is just like that...I must look it up and post it!

• Like Like x 1