Darktable release from last summer

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I just found out they had their first ever mid-year version release. The new Filmic module is really very good, much better than the old one that just seemed to want to overexpose almost everything. This new module is much more usable and looks decent when activated without having to manipulate much.

Sounds like they're going to have yet another release just before Christmas. All of this is due to people having time on their hands from COVID, so one good thing anyway.

I still wish they'd come out with a simple dodge/burn module. Yes, there are ways to do it with masks and different modules, but for Pete's sake, what's so hard about a brush, darken, lighten, amount, and erase? Just about every other program has it and the basis for all of it is already in the modules. I've watched the developer show how he does it. It takes about 10X as long to accomplish the same thing. Maybe this next release...

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, exceptionally they released 3.2 mid-year. Darktable 3.4 is announced by Christmas.

I find 3.2 a big step-up from 3.0.1, the filmic module is simplified by hiding the middle gray slider which confused a lot of people. Especially the Ligthtable makes a big difference to me.

I still wish they'd come out with a simple dodge/burn module.
This, like many things in DT, can be achieved in various ways. I have 2 presets for the Exposure module: one with a +0.3 EV and one with a -0.3EV value. I simply add 2 additional instances of the Exposure module, one with each preset and then take a brush and start painting-in the image.

You'll have to play around a bit with the amount of exposure but I find +0.3 and -0.3 EV a safe starting point.

I've watched the developer show how he does it
Are you referring to a video somewhere? Mind to share where?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Yes, exceptionally they released 3.2 mid-year. Darktable 3.4 is announced by Christmas.

I find 3.2 a big step-up from 3.0.1, the filmic module is simplified by hiding the middle gray slider which confused a lot of people. Especially the Ligthtable makes a big difference to me.

This, like many things in DT, can be achieved in various ways. I have 2 presets for the Exposure module: one with a +0.3 EV and one with a -0.3EV value. I simply add 2 additional instances of the Exposure module, one with each preset and then take a brush and start painting-in the image.

You'll have to play around a bit with the amount of exposure but I find +0.3 and -0.3 EV a safe starting point.

Are you referring to a video somewhere? Mind to share where?
I liked the middle gray slider, it was how I fixed it after activating Filmic. Although this new version is a lot better, I think there are now 5 different control panels for the module instead of 3, so I have to dive into it.

If I need to dodge or burn I usually make a combination drawn/parametric mask. Say for instance, pulling detail out of an overexposed sky. You can be a little sloppy with the mask itself and let the blend and feathering clean it up, as long as you don't get too carried away. Mask feathering is very powerful.

The new Negative Doctor looks pretty cool too.

Here you go.

darktable live edit : dodging and burning to increase local contrast - Bing video

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom