Darktable GUI

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ArizonaMike, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM.

1. ArizonaMike

ArizonaMike Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    I have been trying to use Darktable, on and off, for a couple of weeks but have run into one problem that has prevented me from being able to really use it. The text on the GUI is just too small for me to be able to easily read. This is not a problem with any other app that I use, only with Darktable.

Yesterday I replaced the 24" monitor I had been using with a 32" monitor, assuming that it would ease my eye strain and make the text large enough for me to see from the 50" or so that I sit from the monitor, but I have had to reduce the screen resolution from the native setting of 2560 x 1440 down to 1270 x 720 to be able to easily see the text on the Darktable GUI, and that makes everything else impossibly large. Is there any way to adjust the text display on the Darktable GUI?

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Googled about and I could find was this:

Feature #9840: Automatically rearrange the interface for smaller screen sizes - darktable - darktable - photography workflow application, where someone advises:
    • copy the darktable.gtkrc file from wherever it is on your machine to ~/.config/darktable. For the version of darktable installed by the package manager, the command is: cp /usr/share/darktable/darktable.gtkrc ~/.config/darktable
    • edit this file and change the font_name tags to use a smaller font size in points (for example, change 8 to 16 or whatever).
    • start darktable, and open the global preferences (by clicking the cog icon at the top right of the image pane)
    • change the width of the side panels in pixels to whatever you like, say 200 or 220 (this requires a restart of darktable to apply).
    The trick is probably going to be finding your darktable.gtkrc file. The joys of open source. :) 

3. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Thanks for the information. I work on a Mac and I wonder if that makes any difference. I mention this only because I could not find the darktable.gtkrc file, and that surprises me.

Some time ago I decided I did not like the way the Mac search functionality worked so I built my own search app that allowed me to specify where to search, what to skip and gave me a lot more search options, but that app could not find the file anywhere on my system. The only time this has happened to me before was when the file was not on the system or was hidden in some location I did not have permission to search.

I then opened the terminal app and did a Unix find, but that did not find it either. Between the two it seems to mean that either it does not exist on the system or that I do not have permission to search where it is located. Since I am running as administrator the latter would suprise me, but then again I have been surprised by such things more than several times before.

4. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    See if this helps: Feature #11351: User GUI Font is too Small - website - darktable - photography workflow application

Summary: It might be a .css file you need to change.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 7:26 PM
  5. ArizonaMike

Jan 19, 2018
    Arizona, USA
    Still working on this, but found some things that might be worth mentioning if anyone else is trying to solve this problem.

There is no /usr/share/darktable folder on my Mac, so there is no file in it to copy,

There is no darktable.gtkrc file anywhere that I can find on my system.

There is no darktable.css file anywhere that I can find on my system.

The darktablerc file, in the .config folder, is a text file with many of the initial settings for darktable, and presumably changing those will change the way the software works. There is no 'font' entry, and there is no 'sans' entry in it, and nothing that looks like a font setting, but I am going to start changing individual values that look like they might have an effect and see what happens. If I find anything worth mentioning (like where the font size is) I will post that information.

6. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    OK, I installed it just to see. I found a .css file in the installation tree

C:\Program Files\darktable\share\darktable\darktable.css

line 21 is:

font: 8pt Sans;​

When I changed it to 12pt Sans, the text in the interface got larger.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Update:

As an alternative, in .../AppData/local/darktable/darktablerc, you can change the value of
    screen_dpi_overwrite=-1.0​
    to
    screen_dpi_overwrite=150​
    and everything will get bigger (including icons, apparently). Tune to taste.

• Informative Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.