1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Darktable+G3: Weird colors

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jbxberg, Apr 2, 2016.

1. jbxberg

jbxberg Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    Berlin
    Hi,

Is there anybody else processing G3 RAW images with Darktable? I got tired of switching to my Windows partition to edit images, so I decided to give Darktable a thorough try (been using Lightroom 4 before). I'm using the current version 2.0.2. There are some issues I'm currently trying to solve:

1. The default color matrix for the Lumix G3 seems somewhat off. I do realize Darktable generally gives more saturated colors than LR by default. However, some (however not all) blue tones come out extremely oversaturated and shifted towards purple. Darker denim for instance looks extremely unnatural. In the example images, look at the figure and the middle blue stripe of the cloth.

2. Noise reduction: I had no idea how much noise LR filters out by default. I tried all the suggested methods for NR in darktable (profile wavelet + non local means, manual, equalizer), however I can only seem to reduce the noise ever so slightly. After that, the noise's appearance just changes and weird artifacts are introduced.

3. Chromatic abberations: This correction is an on/off switch in DT. Not effective at all in many cases. Any suggestions which software could be used for that instead?

Anybody wants to share their DT processing secrets with me? :)

Thanks,
    Johannes

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    I use Darktable a lot but not with a G3. I use it with both Olympus and Panasonic cameras.

I do not really know what I am doing, I just like to putter around.

I am not sure about what to say about the color. It looks like to me that playing with the b part lab tone curve might help with the blue/yellows.

I have had the best luck with the denoise profiled module for noise reduction.

The chromatic aberrations module seems to help in the something with a hard line against bright sky situation, but that is about it.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Might Try digikam or rawtherapee, too.

4. jbxberg

jbxberg Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    Berlin
    Thanks! Just gave RawTherapee a shot, and indeed the colors do look more realistic. Noise correction seems more effective, too. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1