Darktable 3.0.0 released

Real Name
Marc Sitkin
Mine is a mid-2012 Retina, with the dedicated GPU unsupported since Apple and Nvidia parted ways -- 2 years ago? So, maybe it's slower than yours!

I would like it to be faster, but your solution seems much worse than my problem. :)
Have tried running DT on a Linux Manjaro on a Vbox machine on my Mac. No OpenCL running, program seems about the same speed as running with OpenCL on the Mac. Export is much slower however, with an error "Tiling failed with module Atmous, file may be garbled". Export of 40 images continued, no problem visible in the files to my eye. No crashes during editing, which was nice.

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok, new problem. I just updated my GPU to a 5700XT. I noticed the Local Contrast filter is now misbehaving when set to the default local laplacian filter. The image being edited has lots of smudges, but when I export the image, these are not visible. Also, if I change the mode to bilateral filter, the artifacts go away. See the image for before and after. It's almost like there's something wrong with the preview. It's definitely the midtone range slider, as if I drop it down by half, it also goes away. Any ideas?
bad.PNG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
good.PNG

Real Name
Marc Sitkin
I've got enough problems of my own, but wonder if it has to do with OpenCL, which seems to be a core issue for me. Maybe post over on reddit, devs seem to follow up to posts there. Good luck

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Ok, new problem. I just updated my GPU to a 5700XT.
I haven't been keeping up as much lately, but I do recall very similar stuff has been reported with the AMD ROCM drivers on Linux (and yeah, pretty much anything like this will be an OpenCL issue). If you're seeing this with the most recent Windows drivers, that may be an interesting data point, dunno...

Real Name
Marc Sitkin
So I'm finally back home and installed darktable on my HP Windows box. Other than a little fuzzy looking type, the program ran fine on the first images I processed, and the OpenCL activated with the stock Radeon 550 card the system came with.

Next test will be to create a dual boot on the computer and try things out with a Linux OS. See if I can work through the driver issues on Linux with the Radeon card. Will test first with Manjaro, go from there.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am not sure that this question belongs in this particular thread as I am not trying to hijack it, but I thought I might ask rather than just starting another thread to ask a simple question.

I installed darktable on my Mac (Mojave) and wanted to try using it but I can not read the text on the screen because the font is too small. I looked in the setup and could not find a font setting in it either. The font size is so small that I have to literally sit next to the screen to read anything and was wondering how to change the font size.

I looked through the manual but could not find any entry for font. I looked at the index and at the setup information but nothing struck me as being related to changing the font size. Can anyone help me?

Real Name
Mark
I installed darktable on my Mac (Mojave) and wanted to try using it but I can not read the text on the screen because the font is too small. I looked in the setup and could not find a font setting in it either. The font size is so small that I have to literally sit next to the screen to read anything and was wondering how to change the font size.
I'm also using Darktable on a Mac and I'm not having this problem but you, apparently, are not the only one who is having this issue. Bruce Williams has a YouTube video that I think covers your issue. I've found his videos immensely helpful as I've made the transition from Lightroom to Darktable.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
I am not sure that this question belongs in this particular thread as I am not trying to hijack it, but I thought I might ask rather than just starting another thread to ask a simple question.

I looked through the manual but could not find any entry for font. I looked at the index and at the setup information but nothing struck me as being related to changing the font size. Can anyone help me?
First, make sure your system display is not scaled, either in System Preferences/Displays or in any third party display app you might have installed.

If that's okay, one option is to try scaling it in System Preferences/Displays, to Scaled/Larger Text.

If that didn't work:

Close DT, then use Finder to open the .config/darktable folder, open the file darktablerc in TextEdit, change the line "screen_dpi_overwrite=" to a number of choice. Maybe try 120. Save and open DT. This will make the icons bigger too, not just the text. If it's a disaster, close DT and change it back to default -1.0.

P.S. if you can't find .config system files, you probably have your OS set to default (hide system files). Fix this by:
  1. Open ‘Terminal’ app.
  2. Type the following command line: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks, but that did not help.

one option is to try scaling it in System Preferences/Displays, to Scaled/Larger Text.
That option apparently is not available in Mojave because it does not show up in the dialog box.

If that didn't work:
It did not.

If it's a disaster,
It was not a disaster, but it did not really help. I tried various values from -20 to -600 and values in-between, but nothing I did make the text readable without a magnifying glass. Here are 2 screen shots taken at -300, one with scaling turned off and one with scaling turned on.

With the text so small I can not use Darktable and I am sure this is not a common issue.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Thanks, but that did not help.
I don't think you did it right.
That option apparently is not available in Mojave because it does not show up in the dialog box.
I'm using Mojave! So I'm not sure what you have done. Try again. Here are screen clips from my Mojave OS:
1583971467425.png

When I click on 'Displays', above, I get this:
1583971544449.png

Click on Scaled, then select instead of the middle (default) box, pick one of the 'Larger' ones.

Also, are you using any 3rd party display app, like SwitchResX, that might be affecting things? If so, turn it off for the moment. What display are you using?
It was not a disaster, but it did not really help. I tried various values from -20 to -600 and values in-between,
I said to try 120, not -120.

cheers

Real Name
Marc Sitkin

Did you check to see if the Roboto font is installed on your computer? If not, download it from Google fonts and install it.
After you do this, follow the guidance for changing font size. When testing the changes, change the default interface style in dt and go back to your choice to force it to update.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A couple of things.

Actually I first tried positive numbers in spite of the initial setting being negative. All it seemed to do was to make the text even smaller.

As for the Displays dialog box, this is what I get when I open it when the display is not scaled:

And here is what I get when the display is scaled.

duakiog-Scaled.jpg

As you can see there are no boxes to click to make the text larger or smaller. I used to have those boxes when I was running Catalina but have not seen them since I upgraded to Mojave about 6 months ago.

The only thing left that I can do is try to see if anything I have installed on my system is causing this and I will try that but, as you can see, there are no boxes to click to control the font size and as I mentioned I did try positive values for the dpi setting before I tried negative ones. Nothing seemed to make the font size any larger although some of the settings did make the text even smaller.

Attachments

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As I mentioned above, I did try positive numbers before the negative ones but decided to try it again. This time I used much larger numbers (I started with 300) and found that it did increase the text size and have worked out an appropriate size.

The text is now large enough for me to be able to use the app so thank you for your help.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Well, I must say I am a bit stumped. I had the exact same tiny font problem and I don't have it any more. It is a common complaint with DT users.

Maybe try fiddling with screen_ppd instead of screen_dpi in the rc file.

Trying to remember -- did the issue resolve when I installed DT3? Maybe you should upgrade, the UI is totally revamped in DT3 and vastly superior to use. Not a small upgrade.

P.S. Catalina is the upgrade to Mojave, not the other way around.

[edit: just saw your latest post -- good news.]

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am just a newbie with DT and although I have figured out how to adjust my images and gotten good results I have not figured out if there is a way to send an image to Photoshop or other external editor.

Part of the time I think that learning new software is a pain and part of the time I think it is half the fun of working on a computer. The difference seems to be whether or not I am making progress ... :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom