1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

dark side of B&H ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PacNWMike, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. I was disappointed to read that yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I wasn't aware of this. The multiple and continual serious lawsuits are troubling as well. I have been a satisfied B&H customer but I will definitely be following this story.

4. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I was also disappointed. As a business owner, I understand the cost pressures that are present in the world today. But I also believe that it's important to treat others (including all of our employees) as we wish to be treated. It's true that not all of these are proven, but the pattern suggests there's substance to them. I'm not sure there's any way to be certain other stores are better, but I'll have to think hard about sending any more of my dollars to B&H.

5. Subsonic

Subsonic Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2013
    Chicagoland
    Chris
    If true, this is deeply troubling. I do have to say, however, that it did not escape me that a news organization based in the Muslim world wrote an article about abuses at a company owned by Orthodox Jews. I think I need to see this from a less potentially biased source before I draw my conclusions...

Update: I did find this additional article from the New York Times, it does seem to be an accurate representation of the story...so unfortunate.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/n...to-video-citing-hazards-move-to-unionize.html

6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Read the thread a few days ago on reddit. Deeply disturbing, especially the part about not letting people outside when faced with fire in the warehouse, at least not until they got through the metal detector. I wouldn't doubt the source for this information, as the cases are documented, and go way back. 2007 was the first case settled.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I know nothing about this issue and would not try to defend B&H without knowing the facts, and I don't wish to sound xenophobic, but I'm a bit skeptical of the source of this report, especially given that B&H is a Jewish-owned business.

EDIT:
    Subsonic beat me to my thought. The Times is a much more reliable source IMHO, so I've got to think this has been properly reported.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    NY Times and a bunch of other news outlets are following up. So I think it's safe to assume the cat is out of the bag. I think photography websites should think long and hard about affiliating themselves with B&H until they get this mess sorted out. Also Adorama is another big camera company owned by Orthodox Jews and I haven't heard a peep about their employee practices, so I don't think the news source has anything to do with B&H's religious affiliation. In fact if I was another camera store right now, I'd go on a blitz campaign promoting happy employees equals customer satisfaction and great prices...unlike B&H! :yahoo:

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Not to criticize you, subsonic, I was pretty sure that angle would come up fairly soon in this thread.

FWIW, Al Jazeera has been one of my morning news reads for at least three or four years. Like all news organizations it has its biases. Understandably it tends to cover the Middle East in more depth than many sources (a main reason that I read it). It also tends to overweight stories involvin Arabs and Jews and it is a bit scant in covering the various warring groups and countries in the middle east.

That said, my experience is that the stories that they do cover are done in a fairly unbiased fashion, even those involving Israel and the Occupied Territories. So ... for someone not familiar with Al Jazeera I think this is a legitimate consideration. As a result I, too, am pleased to see the NYT article.

Actually, I would encourage Americans interested in the Middle East to put Al Jazeera on your daily reading list. It adds much-needed balance to the distorted news that we get from American media. Non-US M34-ers, your domestic coverage is more balanced but you might still enjoy the read.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    RE: B&H being owned by orthodox Jewish sect. Religious subdivisions come in many flavors. This particular Hasidic Orthodox sect is not Zionist as are the Ultra-orthodox ones generally seen in Israel carrying Kalashnikov's.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    With regret, I am going to close this thread.

Not because B&H is a site sponsor.

I've followed this topic on other sites, and it always leads to a bad place which will eat up moderator time and energy.

This is what I mean. I'm not saying anything said was wrong, only that this discussion is leading to a place that is not for this forum.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.