dangit! Pressure to buy another body

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jun 6, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm still missing a camera body, but I don't want to spend any more money.

I like my OMD, but it's just a wee too big for street. I'd like something easy into the jacket or cargo pants pocket. I like my RX100, but I use this more for minimalist family vacation stuff. It's too slow to power on/off for quick shots. 6D is, of course, not right.

I want a quick-shot, but compact, body for when I'm walking about. Probably using it with my P14 and adding an O17/2.8. I think that means either buying back an EPM1 (for the price point) or an EPM2 (for the sensor). I don't know that I can go back to the old sensor, but I'm also not sure I'm keen on dropping $400 for an occasional use body, and I don't think the EPM2 could replace the RX100 -- RX100 is more versatile/more compact.

Oh well. More of a rant than anything. I don't think there's a magic solution here.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ricoh GR

3. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Should I keep waiting or buy one of these current m4/3 cameras with a tweaked sensor? Which m4/3 camera will take the next step in sensor quality? I am still waiting. I believe my Panny G3 can take photos that can match all the photos I see on the computer screen from the OMD and GH3. Technique in photography and photo software skills are the equalizer, but I still crave for another camera, like the OMD and GH3 (and EP5 and GX2). :)

Though for a different reason, I know how you feel.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    To everything - churn, churn, churn
    There is a season - churn, churn, churn
    And a cam for every purpose under heaven

:th_salute:

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Herbert :) ...funny coz its true.

I think I'm turning into a ninja gear churned myself...any day now expecting delivery of a Ricoh GR and will more than likely sell my X100s. The Fuji is a lovely camera but im finding it doesn't quite work for me as a street camera...it's just too big, the GR should solve that beautifully coz that dang thing is super tiny, massive bonus having the snap focus thing too....besides, always preferred a 28mm to 50mm setup rather than 35mm/50mm so the Ricoh will work in nicely alongside my PL25.

It's going to be fun having an APSC sensor camera @28mm that literally fits in my jeans pocket...I simply cannot be carrying a camera bag every time I go into the city for work and the x100s didn't even fit in my largest coat pocket.

Like yourself I really gave the epm2 a long look...but the apsc sensor, tack sharp lens and snap focus just did me in.

Anyone want a lightly used x100s ?

6. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Who isn't? I think anyone who's had ... hmmm - say 300 posts here? - is almost always a gear churner at some level.

But Bill is THE one. :wink:
    Much like if you say "Oly 45 fan" Bhupinder comes to mind. (Even more winks! :wink: :wink: :wink:)

7. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree with you on the storage question. These are all small cameras, but sometimes you need real small!

For what I want, I don't think the GR is it. It looks like it's still a powered-on lens (i.e. push the on button, and wait for a tiny micro motor to power the lens out of the body). I like to pop of the lens cap and just snap away. I also miss the 17/2.8, so I'd like the versatility of moving between the P14 and the O17 - very nice, small pancake lenses.

I just gotta figure out what to sell, to get the EPM2. I wonder if the EP5 would shake out some nice used sales on the EPM2...

8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    GX1?

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Not a bad call.

I just purchased an E-PL3 for Mary Lou's son ... under $200. It's small, smaller than Mary Lou's E-P3. For street stuff, I don't think a bit of noise really matters.

Gary

10. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    BTW - I recently re-discovered the wonders of the Pen (I have an E-PL3) + the Panasonic 20mm. I have stopped using it for some time, and just recently thought "Hmmm.. I do have the P20, let me put it on again" and was again wowed by it's size + quality.

I have also stopped bringing a cam with me everyday for some time, but needless to say this has also changed due to this rediscovery of this awesome pancake.

If you're looking for a street cam, I assume most situations will have good light. For a relatively cheap price, the older-sensor Pens still gets you the best bang for the buck. Couple that with the :43: pancakes and you have yourself quite a nice street setup.

PS - didn't see the Gary's post before this, similar point about light and the old Oly sensor.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I was going to get a GX1 on these recent deals but I decided that I wanted the EVF, so I picked up a lightly used G5 body for slightly under $300

12. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Olympus 35RC is the solution. Not sure if you're into film though. Can be had for less than $50 and the lens on it is SHARP.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I recently just switched over to the Nikon 1 system! The V1 bodies are cheap, comes with a built-in EVF and has the fastest (most precise) C-AF of all mirrorless cameras. The Nikon 18.5mm f1.8 lens is just as sharp as the 20mm 1.7, while focusing faster (with real C-AF) and sells for under $200. I've seen used V1s hover around $200 and the 18.5mm goes for $186, though I picked mine up used for $150. Not a bad small street setup for $350. While high ISO isn't great, the other advantages make up for that weakness. :wink:

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The lens on the Olympus 35 SP is faster and better. But they sell for more like a couple hundred.

15. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I (re)bought a GX1 for some of the same reasons and it's especially nice now that it's easily found for $199 if you shop around. But to be honest, I haven't shot it since I got it. I miss having the viewfinder (a friend has my LVF2 right now so I don't have one available), and the size isn't *that* small.

What's been happening to me is I end up carrying the X100S instead of the GX1. If it's slung over my shoulder anyway, who cares if it's slightly larger overall? I don't think the P14 or Olympus 17mm will fit in a pocket even on the EPM1/2, so at that point why not carry the OM-D?

16. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, I checked the sizes (incl GX1) on camerasize.com with their new lens attachment tool. The EPM2 w/the O17/2.8 is small. and could fit in a jacket or lose shorts. The OMD is THE camera for me when I want to wear a shoulder strap, but I don't always want to do that. I don't think the GX1 is right for me.

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm with John and Gary... GX1 body-only. The price is fluctuating a bit. I'm see it on some days for under $200 and other days at $250. Adorama and B&H are listing it for $234 today. Still a good price. Or you can wait around for a refurbished E-PM2 from Oly. They'll turn up before long.

EDIT: You posted about not thinking the GX1 was for you while I was writing this. Have you checked out the Panny 14mm f/2.5 on the GX1? Otherwise, you may just have to bite the bullet and go for the E-PM2, which is a perfect companion to the OM-D. I use the 14mm on my E-PM2 and it's a great combination.

18. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I have a refurbished e-pm2 with the kit lens on the way from an ebay reseller for $379 (now sold out - but cameta I see just listed red and white refurb kits for $399), so the refurbs will be arriving sooner than later.

19. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just tentatively posted my 6D body on FM, to get some funds. As I posted elsewhere, I seem to only use FF in the fall and winter, and I prefer the smaller cameras in the summer, so maybe I should keep lenses, and just buy/sell the bodies, since the bodies are the things that depreciate most anyway.

20. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Wow Bill that was quick. :smile:

So what will you do after ... 4 months or so, when it's fall again? :)

Very tempted, but funds-limited at this time. I wish I could help you unload your burden. :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.