1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

dangit! Pressure to buy another body

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jun 6, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm still missing a camera body, but I don't want to spend any more money.

I like my OMD, but it's just a wee too big for street. I'd like something easy into the jacket or cargo pants pocket. I like my RX100, but I use this more for minimalist family vacation stuff. It's too slow to power on/off for quick shots. 6D is, of course, not right.

I want a quick-shot, but compact, body for when I'm walking about. Probably using it with my P14 and adding an O17/2.8. I think that means either buying back an EPM1 (for the price point) or an EPM2 (for the sensor). I don't know that I can go back to the old sensor, but I'm also not sure I'm keen on dropping $400 for an occasional use body, and I don't think the EPM2 could replace the RX100 -- RX100 is more versatile/more compact.

Oh well. More of a rant than anything. I don't think there's a magic solution here.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ricoh GR

3. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Should I keep waiting or buy one of these current m4/3 cameras with a tweaked sensor? Which m4/3 camera will take the next step in sensor quality? I am still waiting. I believe my Panny G3 can take photos that can match all the photos I see on the computer screen from the OMD and GH3. Technique in photography and photo software skills are the equalizer, but I still crave for another camera, like the OMD and GH3 (and EP5 and GX2). :)

Though for a different reason, I know how you feel.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    To everything - churn, churn, churn
    There is a season - churn, churn, churn
    And a cam for every purpose under heaven

:th_salute:

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Herbert :) ...funny coz its true.

I think I'm turning into a ninja gear churned myself...any day now expecting delivery of a Ricoh GR and will more than likely sell my X100s. The Fuji is a lovely camera but im finding it doesn't quite work for me as a street camera...it's just too big, the GR should solve that beautifully coz that dang thing is super tiny, massive bonus having the snap focus thing too....besides, always preferred a 28mm to 50mm setup rather than 35mm/50mm so the Ricoh will work in nicely alongside my PL25.

It's going to be fun having an APSC sensor camera @28mm that literally fits in my jeans pocket...I simply cannot be carrying a camera bag every time I go into the city for work and the x100s didn't even fit in my largest coat pocket.

Like yourself I really gave the epm2 a long look...but the apsc sensor, tack sharp lens and snap focus just did me in.

Anyone want a lightly used x100s ?

6. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Who isn't? I think anyone who's had ... hmmm - say 300 posts here? - is almost always a gear churner at some level.

But Bill is THE one. :wink:
    Much like if you say "Oly 45 fan" Bhupinder comes to mind. (Even more winks! :wink: :wink: :wink:)

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree with you on the storage question. These are all small cameras, but sometimes you need real small!

For what I want, I don't think the GR is it. It looks like it's still a powered-on lens (i.e. push the on button, and wait for a tiny micro motor to power the lens out of the body). I like to pop of the lens cap and just snap away. I also miss the 17/2.8, so I'd like the versatility of moving between the P14 and the O17 - very nice, small pancake lenses.

I just gotta figure out what to sell, to get the EPM2. I wonder if the EP5 would shake out some nice used sales on the EPM2...

8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    GX1?

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Not a bad call.

I just purchased an E-PL3 for Mary Lou's son ... under $200. It's small, smaller than Mary Lou's E-P3. For street stuff, I don't think a bit of noise really matters.

Gary

10. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    BTW - I recently re-discovered the wonders of the Pen (I have an E-PL3) + the Panasonic 20mm. I have stopped using it for some time, and just recently thought "Hmmm.. I do have the P20, let me put it on again" and was again wowed by it's size + quality.

I have also stopped bringing a cam with me everyday for some time, but needless to say this has also changed due to this rediscovery of this awesome pancake.

If you're looking for a street cam, I assume most situations will have good light. For a relatively cheap price, the older-sensor Pens still gets you the best bang for the buck. Couple that with the :43: pancakes and you have yourself quite a nice street setup.

PS - didn't see the Gary's post before this, similar point about light and the old Oly sensor.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I was going to get a GX1 on these recent deals but I decided that I wanted the EVF, so I picked up a lightly used G5 body for slightly under $300

12. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Olympus 35RC is the solution. Not sure if you're into film though. Can be had for less than $50 and the lens on it is SHARP.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently just switched over to the Nikon 1 system! The V1 bodies are cheap, comes with a built-in EVF and has the fastest (most precise) C-AF of all mirrorless cameras. The Nikon 18.5mm f1.8 lens is just as sharp as the 20mm 1.7, while focusing faster (with real C-AF) and sells for under $200. I've seen used V1s hover around $200 and the 18.5mm goes for $186, though I picked mine up used for $150. Not a bad small street setup for $350. While high ISO isn't great, the other advantages make up for that weakness. :wink:

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The lens on the Olympus 35 SP is faster and better. But they sell for more like a couple hundred.

15. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I (re)bought a GX1 for some of the same reasons and it's especially nice now that it's easily found for $199 if you shop around. But to be honest, I haven't shot it since I got it. I miss having the viewfinder (a friend has my LVF2 right now so I don't have one available), and the size isn't *that* small.

What's been happening to me is I end up carrying the X100S instead of the GX1. If it's slung over my shoulder anyway, who cares if it's slightly larger overall? I don't think the P14 or Olympus 17mm will fit in a pocket even on the EPM1/2, so at that point why not carry the OM-D?

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, I checked the sizes (incl GX1) on camerasize.com with their new lens attachment tool. The EPM2 w/the O17/2.8 is small. and could fit in a jacket or lose shorts. The OMD is THE camera for me when I want to wear a shoulder strap, but I don't always want to do that. I don't think the GX1 is right for me.

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm with John and Gary... GX1 body-only. The price is fluctuating a bit. I'm see it on some days for under $200 and other days at $250. Adorama and B&H are listing it for $234 today. Still a good price. Or you can wait around for a refurbished E-PM2 from Oly. They'll turn up before long.

EDIT: You posted about not thinking the GX1 was for you while I was writing this. Have you checked out the Panny 14mm f/2.5 on the GX1? Otherwise, you may just have to bite the bullet and go for the E-PM2, which is a perfect companion to the OM-D. I use the 14mm on my E-PM2 and it's a great combination.

18. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I have a refurbished e-pm2 with the kit lens on the way from an ebay reseller for $379 (now sold out - but cameta I see just listed red and white refurb kits for $399), so the refurbs will be arriving sooner than later.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just tentatively posted my 6D body on FM, to get some funds. As I posted elsewhere, I seem to only use FF in the fall and winter, and I prefer the smaller cameras in the summer, so maybe I should keep lenses, and just buy/sell the bodies, since the bodies are the things that depreciate most anyway.

20. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Wow Bill that was quick. :smile:

So what will you do after ... 4 months or so, when it's fall again? :)

Very tempted, but funds-limited at this time. I wish I could help you unload your burden. :wink: