1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Dangerous Ferguson

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Exclampt, May 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Exclampt

Exclampt Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2014
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Dale
    Donald Trump angered the community of Ferguson, Missouri when he said it was among the most dangerous cities in the world.

After he made that statement, I took it upon myself to create a photo montage of images I made over the last several months. The montage shows many Ferguson scenes which paint a different picture, I hope.

My city has been ravaged by the media (don’t get me started on CNN), the DOJ, protesters bused in from the coasts, the police, etc.

Tell me what you think.

26895890310_c77dd6cc40_k. Ferguson, MO by Dale Gebhardt, on Flickr

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A nice antidote to negative stereotyping. But good news never makes the headlines...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Great job! I looked at this a few times while on the train home from NYC. Made my day to see the smiles and something positive. Thank you.

While I tend to agree with pdk42, it's an unfortunate result of the hype of our ever-connected 24 hr cycle.

HOWEVER...literature, music and art... photography included, have bridged gaps in so many ways across generations. After all, a photograph is worth a thousand words, right? So, your wonderful collage is just like the first essay in what I think should become your FergusonFaces project!

My feeling is you don't need to acknowledge any politics. You seriously have something to work with here and create a fun project for yourself while benefitting your city. Keep it 100% positive. Even just changing the title to something like "Ferguson: Amongst the most interesting/diverse cities in the world" is enough to already rise above and make your point. I'm in consulting as well as photography. I always focus on the positives and stay away from the negatives when presenting. Just that one change opens the door to swing the tide.

Not sure if you've seen Claire Bangser, who was just featured on a Pen-F video for DPReview. She has a project called NOLAbeings.
    NOLAbeings (@nolabeings) • Instagram photos and videos

...or the Humans of New York project?
    Humans of New York

I say your onto something and should run with it... even if it's just a little at a time... big things start small.

Either way you go, thank you for sharing the great work and nice post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Wow, those are some absolutely wonderful photographs you've compiled. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the runner or the guy beneath him. But they're all outstanding.

5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Wonderful stuff, appreciate the post.

6. moonraker

moonraker Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 6, 2013
    Wiltshire, UK
    Really appreciate what you have done here... I lived in St Louis many,many years ago and have fond memories. Individual politics aside, during elections many things are said which bear little relation to the truth (and Trump is pretty well known for this over here in the UK as well..).

7. Exclampt

Exclampt Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2014
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Dale
    Thanks to all of you for the kind words, favorable ratings, and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

My montage project has been therapeutic. Compare the photos above to the one below taken just after the worst of the unrest.

15707586957_9614f25777_b.

Ferguson MO - Crazy Bread by Dale Gebhardt, on Flickr

And I must say, my GX7 is a beautiful piece of machinery.

Peace,

Dale Gebhardt

• Like Like x 2
  8. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    So, a small minority of "activists" can ruin things for everyone else, and don't trust what I see in the news. Good lessons. And nice pics. Clearly, the media have wronged your hometown.

9. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Good job, Dale. My time and experiences in this world have taught me to listen to my inner self on important matters.

10. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Great shots - great story - very powerful! The Ferguson riots where on tv in Denmark as well, but once the riots stopped so did the stories. Media never seem (or only rarely) to follow up on stories or try and look at alternative angles.

Would love to see them on their own i.e. not in the montage.