1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dang you all--- ordered the 14mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by qball, Apr 17, 2011.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Bit the bullet and ordered the 14mm Panny 2.5 lens...

Some great photos in the sample archive!

2. Travisimo

Travisimo New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2011
    Just got this lens, and I was pleasantly surprised! I already had the 20mm pancake and 14-140 kit lenses, so I was initially hesitant to buy the 14mm. I figured that if I needed to go 14mm wide, then I would just use the 14-140 kit lens. However, the 14mm pancake has some nice advantages over both:

1) It's quieter and focuses considerably faster than the 20mm pancake. This makes all the difference in the world, particularly since I do a fair amount of video. The 14mm easily bests the 20mm in this regard.

2) It's sharper and brighter than the 14-140 @14mm. With about a stop and a half more brightness, the 14mm pancake is a better indoor lens. And while it's more difficult to obtain shallow DOF at this focal length, the pancake @F2.5 definitely makes it easier than the 14-140 @F4.

So when I want versatility of focal lengths or telephoto, I'll use the 14-140. When I want shallow DOF and low light photos, I'll use the 20mm pancake. And when I want to go wide and/or shoot video in lower light, I'll use the 14mm pancake. I think they all compliment each other nicely!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You won't regret it, qball :smile:.

4. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    This thread will make me miss my 14mm. *Tears

5. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

I've been taking a long hard look at this lens as well. And am considering selling my Contax CZ Planar 50/1.4 T* to get the cash for it. Shooting with legacy glass is fun, but it's the native lenses that are most often attached to my cameras......

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, it's Amin's fault that I bought the 14. To be fair, his positive comments were accurate. Physically I would describe it as irrelevant: it is impossibly small and light. Focus is lightening fast and the results are great.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I ended up using 14mm more than my favorite panny 20mm because it's way easier to take sharp group photos with 14mm in low light indoors. 20mm simply has too shallow DoF at both f1.7 and f2.5, plus limiting focal length for limited indoor space

8. GwagDesigns

GwagDesigns Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    David
    I just traded my 14-45 lens for this one last week with my friend, no regrets. Been wanting a pancake for a while. I originally wanted the 20mm more but since you cant seem to find those anywhere anymore...

9. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Dang you too!!!

I've been thinking about a 14/2.5, and your post just helped my make up my mind. For an upcoming overseas trip I was considering a 14mm to use on my GF-1, or a LX3 to carry around. Now I'm leaning towards the 14mm.
    Cheers
    DUD

10. bubbaj

bubbaj Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    i was going to get the 14mm also because of the same reason, but last week i happened to check bhphoto and it was in stock so i jumped on it fast. now i have a gf1 and 20mm 1.7 lens. next may be the 14 mm or a wide angle zoom