Dang, that Pro 12-40 lens is one crazy sharp lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by yekimrd, Sep 10, 2013.

1. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The 2 things that make me miss my Olympus MFT experience were the 75/1.8 and the revolutionary 5-axis IBIS. While I am (for now) fully a Fuji X user, I'm still hoping to someday again pick up an OM-D as my second body.

Judging by the MFT charts that are up on the Olympus website, this new standard zoom lens is truly deserving of its PRO designation. Heck, it's even sharper than the 75/1.8 and it's a zoom. :eek: And from what I can tell, this looks to be an all internal zoom. Can anyone confirm that?

My mouth is now watering at the prospect of how good the 40-150/2.8 will be. Hope they continue with this PRO lens lineup --- would love to see a lineup of 1.4 (or 1.2 primes) that are even sharper than their existing primes. :biggrin:

2. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    the 12-40 is an internal zoom? oh damn, and i was going to pick up the 12-35. This changes everything.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    You're right. On closer inspection of the sample images, I do notice that gap between the front element and the rest of the lens barrel that does suggest an external focusing mechanism. Bummer.

On the upside, found some interesting info as well re: Olympus' plans for their PRO lineup...

Olympus has also announced the development of a matching M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO telezoom, which is scheduled to be released by the end of 2014... After that, Olympus plans to release a wideangle zoom and super-telephoto prime in this nascent Micro Four Thirds 'PRO' range.

From now on Olympus's Micro Four Thirds lens line will be divided up into three segments, similar to how the company organised its Four Thirds lenses into 'Standard', 'High Grade' and 'Super High Grade' (the latter two known as 'Pro' and 'Top Pro' in some markets). Alongside the new top end 'PRO' line, there'll also be a 'Premium' range, which we're led to believe will include current primes such as the M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8, M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 and M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm F2.

So I guess, there will be no pro 1.4 or 1.2 lenses? :frown:

4. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    highres-olympus-lens-roadmap-2013-2014_1378468775. "1024">

Attached Files: