1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dang it! Now I own an RX100. But I want to send it back!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Jul 20, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I completely forgot I had pre-ordered the RX100 from Amazon. I did cancel my pre-order from B&H, but forgot Amazon.

They just dropped it off, and my jaw fell open when I opened the Amazon box, and found an RX100 inside.

My first thought was to re-package it and drop it right back in the mail. I want to get the new pens with the new sensor, so I'm saving my pennies.

But, I did have to carefully pop it open, to take a peak.

Wow! This thing is tiny, well built and nicely laid out. Truly a pocket cam. I have left on all the plastic, am not pushing the shutter, and only put in the battery, but this thing is real sweet.

Soooo.... someone tell me that I shouldn't spend $648 on a pocket camera, that it'll come down pretty far in price in the next 6-12 months so I can get one then, and that I really do need to save for the Pens.

Right? Right???

Help me.... :)

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    OK.

You shouldn't spend $648 on a pocket camera that it'll come down pretty far in price in the next 6-12 months so you can get one then and you really do need to save for the Pens.

Does that help?

• Like Like x 2
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    $648??? That's almost as much as the PL45! Or a new G5! I know which I'd rather have.

Send that sucker back and buy it when it goes 1/2 off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If there's a new EPM2, and if the EPM2 has the new sensor (let's just pretend for a moment), and if they raise the price a bit to, say $449 body only. That's $900 for 2 bodies. Figure I can sell my existing 2 EPM1 bodies for $150 each, so that's net $600 for two new, new-sensored EPM2 bodies, OR only one pocket Sony.

That's nuts, right???

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You shouldn't spend $648 on a pocket camera that it'll come down pretty far in price in the next 6-12 months so you can get one then and you really do need to save for the Pens.

Seriously.....do you really walk around with a camera in your pocket? if you have big enough pockets I understand, but then you could stick the EPM2 in there if your pockets were big enough.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    This is the Age of Austerity! Does that help?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    There's a lot happening in this compact segment in the next few months - I'd hold out a little while. The new LX7 looks interesting, although they kept the sensor small and went for a faster lens, I'm sure there'll be a new Olympus, maybe something from Ricoh and Fuji, more details to come on the Samsung, etc...

I used to think "jeans pocketable" mattered but then I had an S90 for awhile, which is as small as these things get, and I never kept it in my pocket and felts its bulk on the rare occasion I did. So now I go for coat-pocketable and figure I'll just carry it in a very small case/pouch when I'm not wearing a coat. Once I figured THAT out, the selection got a lot easier because I vastly preferred the handling of the slightly larger cameras like the LX5 and X10 to the tiny S90 anyway.

Then again, if its killing you to send it back...

Amazon's return policies are quite liberal. I'd shoot with it for a couple of weeks and see if you really like it. If so, keep it. If not, you can still send it back. I know a lot of people object to that approach, but their policy is there for a reason.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm with Ray on this one. I just ordered an XZ-1 for my better half at a really good price. Considering the camera is over a year out from original release, the price truly had fallen on it. Samsung, Panasonic, and eventually Olympus will all have newer enthusiast compacts out.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    if you want a new toy keep it, but all your other EPM is a better image maker.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I guess it depends on how you define it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the RX100 will beat out the E-PM1/14-42 kit in IQ once ACR support arrives.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, thanks for the free time on the psych couch. I've boxed it up, it's labeled, and it will ship back tomorrow.

In my 1 hour with it, though, I can confidently say that if you are looking for a fixed lens pocketable camera, and you don't mind losing the shallower DOF options, this is a rock solid option. I also think they've improved their menus from the NEX systems I've tried, and the focus tracking feature was easy to engage and use. Well done Sony. I'll see you again in 6-12 months.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Maybe true, but no kit lens here :)

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The photos that I have seen are "good for a small camera", but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as everyone else is raving about.

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Did you at least shoot some with it? It's now a refurb or open box either way, so hopefully you did something with it...(pics please)

If not, unpack it and take it out tomorrow and shoot it vs the E-PM1 w/14 & 25. We'd love to see how it shakes out in real world conditions. Your only risk is that you drop it or something, but what are the chances of that happening?

• Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No, I didn't shoot with it.

The OTHER risk is that I could decide I love it, so it's going back.

17. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I ordered, but had a crisis of conscience - canceled before shipment. If it had arrived, I'm afraid it would have made it into my bag before I thought about it anymore...

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    DH.... What leads you to come to this conclusion?

19. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Too much money to spend at this time. There are going to be SO many announcements in the coming months. At this rate you'll need to buy one of everything. Some do, but that's a hobby in itself, right?

Send it back, send it back!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been considering getting RX100 for video (samples I downloaded are breathtaking) and pocket cam needs. I also recommended this cam to two of my friends who recently asked me which pocket cam to buy so I'll play with theirs first:) It's been said numerous times on this and other forums that most folks buying DSLRs w/just a kit lens would be much happier with good P&S. In this sense the price for RX100 is reasonable while video is better than any DSLR (instant AF, effective OIS, manual controls, slow mo, live view, etc.).
    No, I don't think RX100 can beat E-PM1 (even with just the kit lens) in IQ and especially AWB and colors. I saw pretty poor jpegs w/greenish AWB coming out of RX100. Of course the difference will be even more pronounced if you add very sharp and yet compact Panny 20 or 14 lenses.
    I do not think there'll be any competition to RX100 anytime soon. LX series were always bulky and XZ-1 is very large for a P&S too. Not to mention XZ-1 has horrendous video quality so I don't expect quantum leaps from XZ-2. Canon S100 was very disappointing, soft lens and subpar video. I don't expect much from the successor. Nikon may release 1" sensored compact but so far their P&S cams have been very underwhelming. Sony is onto something this time.

• Like Like x 1