Dang It... I did it again!

Yup... all the more reason to hate subscriptions and auto-renewals (just another form of subscription imo). For all you out there who don't regularly check your subs and renewals... Do it!

I got duped again. After finally getting rid of my subscription for Adobe after one extra year I didn't need I just got a "payment received" notice from ON1 for another full year for ON1 2019 or whatever they call it now.

Crap -> I thought I had cancelled that after not having used it for over a year... so here I go again, paying out another $130 Cdn for another subscription... and yup, like I've ranted on before ON1 is nothing more than a subscription based service. They don't warn you that their auto-renewal is coming up soon, which imo should be law! Instead you just get your "thank you for your money, fool!" notice after the fact.

I checked online and sure enough it looks like it happened at this 'busy' time of year last year as well. Of course my intent was to cancel it when it got closer. I mean, why cancel on the day when I'd already paid for a full year. Smack to Forehead! Common sense would have me place a calendar item for Dec. 1st, 2019 with multiple reminders to cancel this bl**dy subscription before I get hooked for another $130 next year. Please, someone ask me a week from now if I've done the calendar thing... too many things to even think about that now... I'm too busy ranting and getting in an attempt get it out of my system!

Btw... sorry about the rant, especially in this festive season, but, quite frankly, it's all the more reason I really like Alien Skin's Exposure and Affinity Photo as my editing apps. Neither one sneaks up on me with auto-renewals. Neither one is subscription based. Both are wonderful apps. There... I feel better now... just thinking about those two apps and how they treat their customers. Not warm and fuzzy yet mind you, but give me an hour, a glass of port and I'll get there.

Oh yeah... I hope this has helped save someone else some hard earned $$ here. Check your auto-payments... now!

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
Bite the bullet, cancel it now.
Build a bridge, get over it.
Your smarter than that, don't get suckered again.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Have you considered cancelling, asking for a refund, and/or doing a chargeback on your credit card?

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Have you considered cancelling, asking for a refund, and/or doing a chargeback on your credit card?
I'd advocate options A & B. Chargebacks should be reserved for a vendor who has really screwed you over and refuses to work with you.

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I just checked out their site, and nowhere does it say (at least prior to hitting 'submit' on your CC details) that it's auto-renew. I'm not a customer, but contemplated it a while back. Thanks for the heads up.

Can you claim back on the 30 day money back guarantee?

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
It seems to me that everything I have a subscription to there are options to go into my account and discontinue the auto payment. I think the only auto payment I have going is to this site!

There was a point in time that if a company took a payment without notifying me, I simply cancelled the payment. That was also for cases in which prices were raised and I was not notified.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I really like Alien Skin's Exposure and Affinity Photo as my editing apps. Neither one sneaks up on me with auto-renewals. Neither one is subscription based. Both are wonderful apps. There... I feel better now... just thinking about those two apps and how they treat their customers. Not warm and fuzzy yet mind you, but give me an hour, a glass of port and I'll get there.

Is Alien Skin Exposure a library application that can replace Lightroom? Asking for a friend.

It seems to me that everything I have a subscription to there are options to go into my account and discontinue the auto payment. I think the only auto payment I have going is to this site!

There was a point in time that if a company took a payment without notifying me, I simply cancelled the payment. That was also for cases in which prices were raised and I was not notified.
I looked for the auto-pay option and couldn't find it. I also clicked on the cancel subscription and all it says is Yes or No... nothing to say there is any money coming back. Apparently I was set up through PP so the only option I might have there is to check in PP to see if a stop could be put on it prior to it being processed. Their help desk only runs M-F so I'm pretty much pooched there too for any immediate action. Sigh!

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I looked for the auto-pay option and couldn't find it. I also clicked on the cancel subscription and all it says is Yes or No... nothing to say there is any money coming back. Apparently I was set up through PP so the only option I might have there is to check in PP to see if a stop could be put on it prior to it being processed. Their help desk only runs M-F so I'm pretty much pooched there too for any immediate action. Sigh!
Ah! If you set up auto payment through Paypal, then you must cancel it through Paypal. There is a list of your automatic payments under your account settings. You can tell Adobe that you cancel, but Paypal will take your money and send it to Adobe anyway, until you tell Paypal to stop.

I really like Alien Skin's Exposure and Affinity Photo as my editing apps. Neither one sneaks up on me with auto-renewals. Neither one is subscription based. Both are wonderful apps. There... I feel better now... just thinking about those two apps and how they treat their customers. Not warm and fuzzy yet mind you, but give me an hour, a glass of port and I'll get there.

Is Alien Skin Exposure a library application that can replace Lightroom? Asking for a friend.
I really like it... and have written numerous (sorry, lengthy) posts on it here. I have a thread comparing it to ON1 when I was originally making a decision between the two as possible LR replacements. For several of the reasons I (sort of briefly) outlined above as well I just plain feel its a better, more subtle, yet full featured without being gimmicky photographers editing program I chose AS Exposure as a hands down winner.
As per your question of it being a Library application... it's not in the terms of how LR implements a library. Instead it allows you to organize your photos, import them with metadata, keywords, presets if you wish, and a bunch of other options I haven't even fully explored yet. AS has a number of videos available at Youtube. If your friend wants a pretty good first glimpse of how Exposure organizes photos they have a playlist of 11 videos on their channel – Exposure Editing. A quick search on this site for Alien Skin and my name pondball will bring up a good number of posts I, and others have made about Exposure. I haven't updated them since I got the next version Exp4 as I haven't had as much time in the last 3 or so months to do so but, fingers crossed, I'll get some time in the new year to post some updates in the Exposure Discussion and Help Thread I started awhile back. Hope this helps.

Ah! If you set up auto payment through Paypal, then you must cancel it through Paypal. There is a list of your automatic payments under your account settings. You can tell Adobe that you cancel, but Paypal will take your money and send it to Adobe anyway, until you tell Paypal to stop.
Man, I owe you big time... if you're ever coming this way I'll have a wonderful glass of Port waiting! I probably owe you more though cuz although I've been PP for awhile I never saw that option in the account... and in fact had to dig around this time too. But find it I did and I will now be off the hook to more than one unnecessary recipient. Many thanks @WaltP

Last edited:
Real Name
Richard
I wwonder if there aren’t some consumer protection laws in place to prevent renewal w/o some form ofprior notice or ‘cooling off’ period.
There damned well should be. But there are also multi-page terms and conditions that people routinely accept without ever reading. Nasty way to trade IMO but we live in a time where customer loyalty is routinely punished rather than celebrated.

@WaltP hit the nail on the head re Paypal. The pre-approved payment preferences page is buried (gear wheel>my profile>my money>scroll below the fold to 'manage automatic payments'), but one which I visit every single time my daughter buys a game off Steam because virtually all purchases enrol you in a Futurepay agreement. I opt out as soon as the purchase has completed (I can always opt back in if she wants an upgrade next year).

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
Yes, they're all doing it. Whenever I'm about to hit the accept button, I go "What! Are you crazy!".. remember that saying.
When on the internet.
Keep your credit card in your pocket , and your clothes on!
Really, the whole thing is a hand grenade. The Chinese government have been hacking us for years. They're watching me now!!! :)

Real Name
Richard
Yes, they're all doing it. Whenever I'm about to hit the accept button, I go "What! Are you crazy!".. remember that saying.
When on the internet.
Keep your credit card in your pocket , and your clothes on!
Really, the whole thing is a hand grenade. The Chinese government have been hacking us for years. They're watching me now!!! :)
Even the Chinese get GAS.

So as soon as I dove into PP and stopped auto-pay on the apps I don't use anymore and courses I've already downloaded I started getting emails from PP letting me know I had done the deed.... so now I have a record of these (it is a longer list than I thought it was going to be when I first started looking for the evil ON1 auto-pay!). I think I should print one out, frame it and keep it above my desk... just to remind me to stop auto-pay as soon as the purchase has gone through... good tip from @RichardC on that one!

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
One thing I often do is setup the auto-payment in PayPal to get the initial subscription happening and then once that is done cancel the auto-payment. That way I am forced to manually resubscribe if I want to in due course.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom