Damned too good Oly 25 A Rant

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by alex66, Feb 25, 2014.

1. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    So I was all set to buy a Panasonic25mm but the IQ of the ply has put me all in a quandary, if its as good do I wait until it comes down to reasonable price. Sorry I think here in the UK it is well above an acceptable price even taking into account VAT and I just do not like the feeling of over paying for things. I will have to wait until it gets to a reasonable price but what for the interim? a Panasonic 20mm and live with its foibles I guess, the difference in price and I could get a Sigma 60mm as well or a Nikon J1 with lens as well as the 20mm. This has wound me up could they either release it at a decent price here or make a crap lens arghhhh.
    Rant over

2. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I'm also in the UK and I object to the massive over-pricing here compared to other countries, so I bought my Oly 25mm from an East Asian eBay seller at a very reasonable price. I always buy direct from East Asia - I've never once been stung for import duty, and I've never once had a defective camera/lens so no warranty hassles either. Sure it's a risk, but it's worked for me so far and saved me £££££££££.

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Who did you get it off if you don't mind me asking, I alas have been stung before so I became nervous of the risk.

4. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    It was love.otaku.japan - I've also used shueido.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I have the opposite experience: imported two times (p20 and e-pl5, from uk and usa) , customs/vat both times.

7. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia

I have the opposite experience: imported two times (p20 and e-pl5, from uk and usa) , customs/vat both times.

8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I got stung just bringing in a battery for my EM-5!!!

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Should be able to find a used PL25 f/1.4 in UK?

10. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    You may consider still going through with the Panasonic's purchase. If you're not bothered by the larger size, it's only £30 more I believe? And it's still a fantastic lens with a unique rendering (which is why it's my favorite lens overall, as well as that of many people - just look at the Amazon reviews, which IMO are more telling of this lens's qualities than test chart shots).

11. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    UK
    I also live in the UK and yes it can be frustrating that we pay more for lots of stuff. My view is that life is too short. If you have the money buy and enjoy what you want and be happy.

Alternatively you could do what I do and buy 90% of your stuff second hand on ebay from UK sellers. In moving from a Canon DSLR system to m43 I saved plenty on stuff that was as new.

12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Companies set their prices according to current and future exchange rates (and VAT etc. obviously). The future exchange rates for the pound don't look good.

Quantative Easing (aka printing money) is a de facto devaluation. Take a look at graphs of the exchange rates for (say) the last ten years: GBP vs. Yen or Euro. Then extrapolate a little. It's going to get worse. You have Gordon Brown, Alastair Darling and Gideon Osborne to thank for that, not Olympus.

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Not too sure of that logic. The USA in injecting more cash into the economy than the UK and Japan is on a currency devaluation hyperdrive! Truth is, a lot of the established Western countries are fiscally screwed, but it's not just the UK. Oh, and I can't see Oly deciding pricing now based on future unknown exchange rates. Might be a different story if you're talking of BA buying aviation fuel for delivery in 2015!