1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Damn you EM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Steven, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    After trying it again in a store recently, I cannot take any other EVF seriously. EM5's seems positively tiny. The only other finder that compared was the Sony A7.
    Checked out GX7 again, and the finder didn't seem too bad in terms of size. I can't help it think that the camera itself is unnecessarily chunky though. It must be that IBIS mechanism.
    I almost want to buy a cheaper Olympus body just to use the EVF4 with it :biggrin:

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    to me, the A7s viewfinder looked so much brighter, not sure why. The em-1 looked kind of dark.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Sadly the EM-1 EVF is much nicer.

4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    doesnt the A7 use the 500$ EVF that is sold as an accessory to the RX1?

if so , its terrible. i get a "tunnel vision" effect with it and also never get a sharp corner-to-corner view no matter how i fiddle with the diopter adjustment.

fwiw i dont have same problems with EM5 or Fuji X100 family

5. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Why do you say sadly?

6. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I was like WOW when I looked in the A7 Viewfinder right after the EM'1's

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I was convincing myself I needed the A7. The EVF was a let down. It is bright enough but it smears which I find distracting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I noticed it too , even compared to the VF4 mounted on EP5 they had in store. Maybe some settings just need to be adjusted in menus to make it brighter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    theres also a problem with accuracy. if i set the sony evf to auto-brightness --- and it shouldnt misread viewing environment because of the deep sealing eyecups -- it will be brighter than actual exposure.

underexposed a few photos because of that. (didnt look at histogram)

10. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    The new E-M1 camera has a "auto brightness" feature which dims the EVF down in not so bright environment. Noticed the muted EVF when comparing to my E-M5 which was much brighter.

You can turn "dimming" off in the menu, but meanwhile I switched it ON again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have both the E-M1 and the a7R. While I find the viewfinder in the E-M1 superior, the Sony's viewfinder isn't all that far behind. As for brightness, both viewfinders can be adjusted manually or be set to adjust automatically. For the E-M1, it's on page 97 of the PDF version of the manual: the gear menu, menu J, EVF adjust. You have to turn off EVF Auto Luminance first, then you can go to EVF Adjust to manually dim or brighten the viewfinder to suit you. You can also adjust the color temperature of the viewfinder there. For the shooting I've done so far, I leave it on auto and find it works just fine. If I were doing night shooting, I'd probably dim it to help preserve night vision. I do agree on the diopter comment, the Sony is nowhere near as good in that department as the E-M1.

12. Bpsmith511

Bpsmith511 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    I love the EVF in the E-M1, for some reason the VF-4 is more pleasing to me overall. Feels "bigger".

13. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Mine came in this afternoon, had to take a picture of it. Huge improvements over the EM-5

11720824294_017c8267a3_c.
    _1020006 by savingspaces33, on Flickr

14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Pretty sure it's actually larger. Same as the Vf2 which is larger than the built in Em5 finder even though it's the same guts. I guess they had to make it smaller to fit it in .

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Both finders (VF-4, E-M1) have the same magnification (1.48), and Sony's is also pretty much in the same ballpark (technically slightly lower at 0.71, i.e. 1.42 in MFT terms), so any perceived difference is due to psychology. Or a nose that's too big to get your eye close enough to a built-in finder ;)

On a more serious note, I don't see a real-world difference between the finders on the E-M1 and the A7r, although I admit I haven't shot either camera for particularly long yet (both less than a month). Both are truly excellent in use. One of the cute features I like on the Sony is the ability switch EVF display modes independently without menu diving; hit disp with eye off the viewfinder and it changes view settings for the screen, do it with eye to the EVF and you get your pick of what you want to see there.

Now if they would only let me map the option to turn off the screen to a button instead of burying it somewhere funny, that would be perfect.

16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    No, I compared the EM1 and VF4 side by side. VF4 is larger. There must be some other measurement that reflects that. Something to do with size of the opening perhaps. same thing with VF2 and EM5.

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Possibly you can get your eye closer to the eyecup on the snap on finders? The magnification figure defines the visible size and is identical for both.