Damn camera lust, it seems I'm buying NEX

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by nianys, Aug 17, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I resisted the E-M5 will all my strentgh (and was reasonable enough not to buy since I hate the Oly user interface), but NEX got the better of me, it seems I'm in the process of getting a 5N + kit lens...
    This APS-C goodness is more than I can NOT lust after ;) I'll most likely get the Sigma 30/2.8 for it, and use my FD 50/1.8 adapted, as well.

I know there is NOTHING as stupid as buying a camera 3 weeks short of Photokina, but I'm able to get a really good deal on the combo, which is hardly used with a long warranty remainder, so I hope to avoid the worst of buyer remorse when the NEX6 (which is what I really want) is announced.

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John

Do you know what it's going to be, then? :biggrin:

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    You've gone over to the dark side!:rofl:

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Hey... it's just cameras and lenses... no reason why you shouldn't try out different ones.

There certainly is a 'look' associated with FF (which I love), and perhaps with APSC as well - vs. m4/3.

In the end, you can always sell off the no-longer-wanted gear and usher in the new.

Let us know how you like the NEX! Someday... s o m e day, there should be a nice range of great lenses for the NEX system. When that day comes, I may be joining you. :wink:

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I like my NEX it happily cohabitants with my GX1. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I've used all the Nex bodies and currently keep a Nex 3 around for testing out e mount lenses for sale. It would be really nice if focus peaking (or some variant thereof) would come to a Panasonic or Olympus body. Sony just beats the crap out of the m43 for the total experience with manual focusing....it's not even close.

However, Sony seems content to develop new bodies and sell sensors (very nice sensors) than develop e-mount lenses. The Nex-5N is very nice, on par with the best 16mm sensor bodies for m43. Enjoy!

7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    BTW, there are deals to be had on the EVF (which is really nice) for the 5N. Used ones on some of the boards are running from $200-$250...$100 cheaper than 6-8 months ago.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have mixed feelings about the NEX. I have the Sigma 30 and it's pretty nice (albeit slow to AF) but I don't find the NEX+Sigma to be as engaging camera to use in AF as it is in MF. Put a manual focus lens on it and it really transforms the NEX into something special. If I didn't know better I'd say they designed the NEX specifically for manual focus lenses.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol.. I think all MFT users will end up with NEx as second camera. I am also thinking of picking up NEX 5N with 16 mm . It's interesting that for price of PL25 , I could have bought it.its fun to try different cameras ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Gotta give the NEX it's due...it's an interesting camera with great IQ and wonderful handling of legacy glass. With my Konica 24 or Pen-F 38 attached the NEX really reminds me a lot of the way I felt shooting my compact RF cameras...the basics for controls, easy to get to everything you need, great glass and a nice simple way to focus. It may not be what Sony intended but I think it's absolutely brilliant what they ended up with.

11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Another reason I like the NEX is the speed at which it shoots. I love shooting 10fps. Even saving raw files it blazes like a machine gun. Often people glance over when it's going full bore.

Lately, I've been shooting a lot using both my GF2 and NEX 3. The GF2 is downright sluggish when shooting raw. It takes much longer to write out a file. I fire off a burst of 3 shots at a time. It feels like the NEX finishes all 3 shots in about the time it takes the GF2 to finish one.

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
  13. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

That's it guys, it's done !
    I've always been a very big consumer of cameras, trying everything and selling back if I don't like it (or even if I do sometimes, I now have to list my G3 to help pay for the new kid).
    The GX-1 is not going anywhere. I have a nearly organic bond with that cam, it speaks to me on a personal level, and I'd still consider the GX-2 if the upgrade is worth it. But I do want the NEX for Focus Peaking and using my FD and CCTV lenses. Also, I like NOT to use and EVF, and the Sony being so expensive, it will most likely make the NEX an all LCD experience for me.
    Specs on the future NEX6 are pretty well leaked now. Built in EVF, 16mp chip, phase detect on sensor. That sounds pretty exciting to me. Also Sony seems to be finally pulling their head out of their behind and there are 3 or more new lenses coming at Photokina I think. I know m4/3 has a big line up of lenses, but only the PL35 seems to really suit me (although I do keep the excellent 14-45 and 40-150 zooms for convenience). The 45 I sold back, and the 75 leaves me cold, as well as the 12-35, so lenses is not as big an issue for me between the two systems.
    Of course when I get to hold and try the camera I'll write my impressions, but mostly post samples of how it works for my style. Thanks for all your input !

14. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Similar experience here - carried both my GF3 and Nex 5 last month so I could switch between them rather than changing lenses [20mm or 14mm on the GF3 and 55-210 on the Nex). AF is faster on the GF3 but the burst shooting was as you say very sluggish.

When the 5n drops to bargain prices I will hopefully pick one up as an upgrade to my Nex 5. Also want to get a viewfinder - as good as the Nex screen is, an evf is almost essential in bright sunshine. The new AF on the 5-R sounds interesting though, as do the apps - eg: in camera intervalometer - very useful.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've tried too many APS-C cameras. I've no use for them, though the new Fuji X series is tempting -- mainly because of looks, dedicated SS dials and the lenses.

Tried NEX 3 times. I won't bash them, but I will say -- I LOOOOVE my mini-NEX (RX100) and I am following the FF rumors very closely. I am very happy with my OMD, but am waiting to hear about the Nikon D6000 or the NEX FF. I'll leave the APS-C up to others :)

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've almost purchased an NEX camera many times. Just yesterday I was eyeballing a nice deal on a 7, but then I got to thinking that I'd really need to invest in some Zeiss glass to get the most out of that sensor, and I don't want to be $3000 in to Sony at the moment. So I looked at a 5N, until I realized that of the current models I'd only want the 7 (EVF; controls).

Of course the 6 will light the fire again, with the EVF and lower price tag.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    For the likely reasons that everyone else is thinking about NEX, I consider the same thing (i.e. -- more DOF options, smoother gradations, and a bit better low light performance -- it sure ain't the lens selection!!!), but the OMD controls are just da bomb. I'm sure it's personal, but the tri-navi on the NEX 7 with two wheels near the thumb. That's nice, but having instead aperture at my thumb and EV on my index finger on the OMD (in A Mode) is just sooooo easy. Same in playback -- I have the thumb wheel for moving between images and the index finger wheel for zoom in/out to check critical focus. I honestly cannot imagine at all how you could make an easier-to-use camera. The Fuji X series is nice, but the dials are dedicated. I like the non-dedicated dials of the OMD. The index finger wheel is EV adjustment for me in A mode, but it's shutter speed for me in M mode.

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The NEX is great. The 7 would be the one I would really want. But if the funds aren't there, the 5N is a perfectly good alternative. I think the OP has the right idea with the Sigma 30mm. I would suggest adding the Sigma 19mm for another $200... either now or this Christmas.

19. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I got it yesterday and have been thoroughly impressed with the IQ. DOF control IS way better than m4/3 (whatever people say) and focus peaking is killer. Other than that, I like the GX-1 operation and overall speed way better, but the subject isolation I get with the NEX is golden. Probably a keeper for my use.

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Nianys, have you shot full frame?