DAM Recommendations

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
This might be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway: if you have multiple pieces of DAM software on the same computer, do they ever get to a point that they interfere with one another?

I am specifically thinking about a Mac that has the native Apple Photos, plus Olympus Workspace and ON1 Photo Raw. All installed on the same computer and the same user profile. Is this asking for trouble?

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
This might be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway: if you have multiple pieces of DAM software on the same computer, do they ever get to a point that they interfere with one another?

I am specifically thinking about a Mac that has the native Apple Photos, plus Olympus Workspace and ON1 Photo Raw. All installed on the same computer and the same user profile. Is this asking for trouble?

I personally don't think so. (I am a retired DBA) They each store their catalogs in different locations, and frequently with different file structures. But even if they use some sort of generic text file, it is unlikely they will cross contaminate each other.

Now if you ran two DAM products at the same time and tried to install the same photo at the same time, you might lock up your computer (but who does that?) Even then, the chance of corruption is small, and if it did happen, you regularly back up your catalog anyway, right? RIGHT? (The correct answer is yes)

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, be they catalogs or browsers, AND they use/access the same folder structure. You really need to be careful when you start accessing the same files with multiple products. It’s an invitation to messing up catalogs, unintended deletes or conflicting metadata.

Just stay awake when you work this way.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
It’s when you unintentionally delete in Explorer. You don’t know it even happened when you open Bridge. At least Lightroom will flag it as a missing file. I'm not an overly disciplined person in general. But I don’t ever use the file system to manage images.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
It’s when you unintentionally delete in Explorer. You don’t know it even happened when you open Bridge. At least Lightroom will flag it as a missing file. I'm not an overly disciplined person in general. But I don’t ever use the file system to manage images.
:doh:

If one is as careless as that, then either recover from the Recycle bin (or Apple Trash).

It would also seem to be essential to have daily programmed backups. Specify "No overwrite" to ensure the continued existence of accidentally deleted files.

Also rotate backup disks on a regular basis.

For PCs, I recommend SYNCBACK.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
if you have multiple pieces of DAM software on the same computer, do they ever get to a point that they interfere with one another?
I'm sure it is possible, especially with moves and deletes.

That's one reason I'm fascinated with darktable. It can be configured to use a "real" database (MySQL), and thus, you could have multiple copies of darktable working on different devices (or even the same device) at the same time, and they won't interfere with each other.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
:doh:

If one is as careless as that, then either recover from the Recycle bin (or Apple Trash).

It would also seem to be essential to have daily programmed backups. Specify "No overwrite" to ensure the continued existence of accidentally deleted files.

Also rotate backup disks on a regular basis.

For PCs, I recommend SYNCBACK.
Daily backups exacerbate the problem. Unless you catch it within a day, your next backup wipes it. People don’t have photographic memories of all stored images. Going to the trash, before you empty it, takes knowing you inadvertently trashed a keeper, or a folder full of keepers, or even a directory full of keepers. That’s why DAM 101 pretty much starts with don’t use your file system to manage image files.

Do what you feel works for you.

Real Name
Mike
That’s why DAM 101 pretty much starts with don’t use your file system to manage image files.
Um, Lightroom uses the file system to manage image files... Actually I'm very conscious of that and if I want to reorganise some image files or folders I do it in Lr rather than Explorer.
I've got various neophyte DAMs on my system, like ON1, DxO and Luminar, but I only use them as image editors not for their (sadly unimpressive) DAM functionality. I would love to see one of the neophytes graduate to offer proper DAM functionality. I have also tried out IMatch and it is a very good DAM but I don't think I've got the self-discipline to use it alongside Lightroom.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Daily backups exacerbate the problem. Unless you catch it within a day, your next backup wipes it. People don’t have photographic memories of all stored images. Going to the trash, before you empty it, takes knowing you inadvertently trashed a keeper, or a folder full of keepers, or even a directory full of keepers. That’s why DAM 101 pretty much starts with don’t use your file system to manage image files.

Do what you feel works for you.
Please re-read what I wrote.

Unless you specify it, backup programs such as SYNCBACK will not delete files that no longer exist on the target. That is, they will be left extant on the destination, even if deleted from the source drive.

I have five offline backup drives and one external one of these is plugged in at any given time. I also have an internal 3TB drive that's used purely as an online backup device.

Redundancy is the key with backup.

And I routinely use the file system for managing files. That's what it's there for ...

Latest threads

Top Bottom