DAM Recommendations

Real Name
Roel
Interesting topic!

I currently use Lightroom for DAM and editing (together with PS), one big catalog.
For specific assignments, where I want to be able to shoot tethered and/or work on multiple PC's (laptop/desktop), I do use a separated "working" catalog (on a external disk). I do merge this catalog with my main catalog when the shoot is over and/or there is no need to have it on the external disk.

Overall quite happy with Lightroom for DAM. The option of using one main catalog, separate "small" mobile catalogs and Lightroom CC sync (albeit sometimes a bit buggy) suits my need.

I am however struggling a bit as I have almost all images I take in LR (so ranging from specific photography genres like landscape, cityscape, street and portrait to vacation/home/family), which makes the big catalog a bit messy. This is not a fault of LR but more my own laziness in getting all images structured correctly. Currently I am restructuring the folders, categorizing and adding keyword-structure to improve this. It would be interesting to learn how every one has setup their DAM workflow (regardless of software/method). I don't know if it would fit this topic though, so maybe a new topic would be better.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I use, or have used, Aperture, C1, Bridge, Photo Supreme and Lightroom. While I can’t say much for Lightroom's Develop module or Adobe's abysmal customer “service”, their DAM/Catalog IMO is superb.

I never thought about “workflow”. But if one can assume catalogs of 40,000 to 100,000+ images, I’d be inclined to make sure I rated images worth cataloging. Then I know what to go back and keyword. That provides all I need to find what I’m looking for. To me, folders are the computer's file system. Lightroom doesn’t really need more than one. But like most of us, I fastidiously create event by date folders.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I never thought about “workflow”. But if one can assume catalogs of 40,000 to 100,000+ images, I’d be inclined to make sure I rated images worth cataloging. Then I know what to go back and keyword. That provides all I need to find what I’m looking for. To me, folders are the computer's file system. Lightroom doesn’t really need more than one. But like most of us, I fastidiously create event by date folders.
Event within year within company (I worked for 3 others besides my own) plus a bunch of other categories. No LR doesn't need them but........ My largest 2 catalogs are about 60k and 210k images.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, I canceled my Adobe Photography plan today before it renewed tomorrow for another year... currently I have Luminar, Affinity, and Pixelmator Pro... but really need to figure out what I’m doing for a DAM till affinity releases theirs or Luminar’s becomes usable

For me, nothing comes close to the function of the LR classic catalog for my use cases.
The ability to disconnect my photo library (external or NAS drive) and continue to search/tag/keyword, edit, and even print can't be beat. That said, I'm no fan of the way Adobe is pushing the cloud. I'm always looking for alternatives.

On1 tries to come close, but is still amazingly buggy in its catalog.

DXO3 has great RAW processor and Prime Denoise is very good. However I found their organiser to be very slow and very basic.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Well, I canceled my Adobe Photography plan today before it renewed tomorrow for another year... currently I have Luminar, Affinity, and Pixelmator Pro... but really need to figure out what I’m doing for a DAM till affinity releases theirs or Luminar’s becomes usable
It's my understanding you can still use the LR DAM features including add and exporting images. You just can't use the Development Module.

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
DXO3 has great RAW processor and Prime Denoise is very good. However I found their organiser to be very slow and very basic.
I purchased DXO PL3 during their Black Friday sale last year. Principally because it gave better raw conversion results for my Olympus EM1 raw files then my creaking Lightroom 5.7.1 however, it is much slower to edit in DXO compared to my version of Lightroom so I think moving forward I will be using DXO to convert the raw files from my EM1 to tiff plus any minor edits e.g. using their excellent prime noise and clear plus options and then finish up back in Lightroom utilising the excellent DAM to organise my photos.

I’ve been happy with ExposureX5 as my Dam and for the most part photo editor... doesn’t provide the high saturated looks that seem to be favoured by Luminar and ON1, and that I don’t like. As well as it’s own set of editing tools it also boasts a great set of photographic Presets... most built with different film emulsions in mind. The dam itself is very “finder” like (Mac enviro here). I keep the app on my MBPro and my photos on an external SSD. Backups go to my NAS and also to an external portable HD that gets swapped out with an off-site external portable HD. EX5 has all the keywording, tagging, sorting, collections, etc that I require of a DAM... and I’ve found has not been nearly as buggy as when I had ON1 and Luminar. Edits are saved in sidecar files, and Edit-in is an option from within EX5.

not all apps are be all end all solutions (if any) so I also use Affinity Photo (and Designer and Publisher too). As much as I love EX5, I too can’t wait for the Affinity DAM to emerge... hoping for this year. Photo and Designer edits are available from within Publisher itself so I imagine it won’t be long before the Affinity DAM is announced.

Real Name
Siegfried
I been using DXO a few years. Have PhotoLab 3 and love it. I am very comfortable with Photoshop and enjoy post processing in Photoshop. I do not use LR, prefer PhotoLab. That said I also like WorkSpace.... The thing with PhotoLab is it's a very different way of editing, it does not have the familiar set of sliders one see in raw converters like PS. It has some really nice features like spot editing plus plus. One can add Nik filters and DXO PhotoPack which both are great film simulation filters.... No trouble to highly recommend PhotoLab

In terms of DAM.... I assume you refer to databasing your image collection. Never tried it, I think PhotoLab has a separate option for that.... if I recall it was a well known software they bought out.... I have my own system and do my own organizing - prefer that. I hate when a viewer takes minutes a time to update....

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I’ll have to give it a try tonight!
I, along with many others, would appreciate your experience using LR after a subscription lapses.

I’ve read countless times the Catalog side works. Yet no matter how much digging I’ve done, I’ve never come across anyone saying they use it that way. Frankly, I cannot imagine Adobe making it a pleasant experience. But it would be nice to know.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
One note on DXO, it's doesn't support Fuji X-Trans. While I only have Olympus cameras now I had, until just a few months ago, a Fuji X70 and X-E3. Those RAW files are not supported and everything I've read says they have no intention of add it.

To bad, the interface looks good.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
As I remember only Capture One gives the options of storing your images and work in a referenced catalog, in a managed catalog, or in a session.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Affinity promised a DAM years ago and nothing so far. Have they promised it again with a firm date?

Affinity promised a DAM years ago and nothing so far. Have they promised it again with a firm date?
Not sure if it was a promise or just very wishful thinking on their user base... and that hasn’t changed.

they did state that they were concentrating on their big three apps first, and in fact have incorporated both Photo and Designer within Publisher... they have excellent iPad apps for both Photo and Designer as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t using their resources to finish development of iPad Publisher... and then work the DAM development.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
For those curious, it looks like I can still use all the DAM functions of the Library Tab in LR Classic even with the subscription suspended... though it does keep asking me to purchase a new plan.

Import, Export, Rename, Keyword, Sorting... it's all there. Only Library module though, no access to Development, Map, or the rest.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
On1 Photo Raw has a DAM that is about like the Luminar DAM. Both scan folders you tell it about to look for photos. Neither have the naming/renaming capabilities of Lr, C1P, Photo Mechanic...etc.

When picking a DAM....know your requirements in advance.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom