Daks over Normandy - Duxford event (Image Heavy) 5th June

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
The following day dawned brighter and clearer and as we were having breakfast at our B & B in Old Warden, the owner had put on the TV showing the local news which was primarily about the event at Duxford. One section was about 95 year old Harry Read who had jumped into Normandy on the 6th of June 1944; he was about to re-create that with a tandem parachute jump into France later in the day, and by chance we managed to meet him and shake his hand! This was a privilege indeed.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(My wife's images, used with permission)

A couple of men re-creating a well known image from D-Day, painting each others faces in war paint.

Pleasure flights kept going through out the whole time and the angry buzz of Harvards taking off punctuated the air

As the morning wore on, the folk due to jump gathered together for briefings and last minute training: "1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, Canopy Check!"

And some informal shots were to be had

Unfortunately we had to cut short and start our way home to Derby, but having seen the mass departure on YouTube, it looked spectacular.

Hope you enjoyed this rambling piece!

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
Or - 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, check canopy...aaaaargh!! were my words when I did my first static line jump, lol.

Great set, Martin, by you and your wife.
I did say to Mr. Read about his tandem jump later that day: "Rather you than me!" Still sharp though, just his body ageing.

Real Name
Steve
I did say to Mr. Read about his tandem jump later that day: "Rather you than me!" Still sharp though, just his body ageing.
I have a friend and neighbour who is at least 98, he flew over 40 missions as a navigator on Lancaster bombers in WW11. He's still incredibly fit, articulate, drives and he does his voluntary litter pick around the local streets every seven weeks, accompanied by his wife, who must be around the same age. Some people are incredible.

His son in law wrote this book - Black Night for Bomber Command

It's a really good read.

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
I have a friend and neighbour who is at least 98, he flew over 40 missions as a navigator on Lancaster bombers in WW11. He's still incredibly fit, articulate, drives and he does his voluntary litter pick around the local streets every seven weeks, accompanied by his wife, who must be around the same age. Some people are incredible.

His son in law wrote this book - Black Night for Bomber Command

It's a really good read.
Thanks for that, Steven, just bought it for download to my kindle:thumbsup:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom