D7000 or Panasonic GX7 (survival of the fittest)

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dcrx, Oct 17, 2014.

1. dcrx

dcrx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    Hey guys,

I have recently got a nikon d7000 after one year of being with the gx7.
    My journey with the gx7 was amd still is interesting and I believe it is a interesting camera, however I am not a professional photographer but more of a hobbist so I will need to decide within the return period if Im going to return it or not (which Im inclined not to).

For nikon i have only the 50 which ive owned before coming to m43 with my d90 and loved it and for gx7 i have all 3 cool and amazing lenses pan 20mm f1.7, oly 45mm f1.8 and the new arrived toy with an all metal construction 35mm f1.7 cctv manual lens.

Im going to put my cons and pros for each camera from a user point of view.

Panasonic GX7 pros:
    + compact and portable
    + amazingly well implemented wifi/nfc connection
    + good image quality
    + i might also say that iso performance is over d7000
    + tilt-able touchscreen

Panasonic GX7 cons:
    - overall lower dynamic range and dof even with the 45mm (voitglanger seems way too expensive and not a necessity for a hobby photographer)
    - I seem to have more keepers with the d7000 over the panasonic
    - way lower battery duration

Nikon D7000 pros:
    + best image quality I've had so far on a camera
    + great bokeh with the 50mm f1.8G
    + sometimes I don't have the mood to pp the photos with my pets for example and to me the nikon seems to have a better jpeg engine
    + sturdier and built like a tank
    + easier to operate everything
    + better viewfinder
    + lenses are cheaper and i can even rent some (none available in my country for m43)

Nikon D7000 cons:
    - wifi access (could be fixed with eyefi card)
    - not so easy to throw in my car for example
    - no low angle without grtting dirty

I could also come up with some images but so far i'm really enjoying playing with both... So its a tough call.

Are here any users coming from D7000?
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Where on earth do you live that you can own and use a camera for nearly a year, decide that you don't want it and return it for a full refund?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dcrx

dcrx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    First sentence is "I've recently got a nikon d7000". Thank you for your kind words!
  4. dcrx

dcrx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    Here are some photos I've found at hand to share.

Panasonic GX7:

Nikon D90 + 50 f1.8 (different, but still relevant)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I really don't get the point of your post.

What is it you'd like for us to do?

I don't know why it is so difficult for people to decide which camera they should use. Perhaps it is an issue with too much want and not enough identification of need.

Pick the camera and lenses that best suite your shooting style and gets out of your way. Or, hell, if you can afford it keep both.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    on the evidence of your photos.. sticking to the GX7 or switching to the Nikon wont make a difference... or its at least difficult to see how it will...

cameras don't take pictures... photographers do

• Like Like x 2
  7. dcrx

dcrx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014

I'm just trying to convince myself I have made a good choice by picking again a nikon.
    Thanks both of you for the feedback.

I couldn't agree more regarding your picture taking statement, however one should find best tool for the job. Right?

Anyway, any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    So you were talking about the Nikon; we can't return a camera even the next day, unless it doesn't do what it is advertised as being able to do.

I'd ask in a Nikon forum for advice.
  9. dcrx

dcrx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    In the store where I've bought it I have a 30 day return policy.
    People here seems to be more understanding and not so focused on brands.

I'm pretty sure if I'm going to ask this question on a nikon forum is going to be a nikon vote. I'm looking for some impartial advice.
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Impartial advice: Consider a Sony.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dcrx

dcrx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    Too late for that :) I ve recommended to a friend a sony nex 5t and hes loving it. However I find the body to be very plasticky and also the lens selection not so great at what seems a high price to me. Damn, i've paid 200$ for a mint condition 45mm and 300$ for a used gf1 + 20mm (which ive sold with the gx7 kit lens).
  12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Agree that good tools can make a difference.... however

owning the finest knives and saucepans doesn't make you a great chef

• Like Like x 4
  13. dcrx

dcrx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    Ok, you've made your point regarding the cliche it's the photographer, not the camera.
    Can we get past that? If I upset you for some reason you are free NOT to post here.

It's a free world after all :)
  14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    dcrx, I think the point is that you can take great photos with either camera. The choice comes down to your style, what you value, and how you interact with both cameras. No one here can help you with that.

The good news is you can't go wrong. Both great cameras. Both great systems.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Nikon D7000 is a great camera. I used to have one including D600 and D800 FF. And guess what I have now? Oly E-M5. Although it has been discussed to death, I think it's still relevant. For DOF, buy APS-C or FF. For portability, buy MFT. Anyway, any system needs great lenses. And Nikon great lenses are big and heavy. That's probably the main reason I switched. I do mainly portrait by the way, and Nikon's portrait lenses like 105mm F2 DC, 135mm F2 DC, 85mm 1.4, and 180mm F2.8 are all big and heavy. The background rendering is very beautiful though. So now I have the Pana 25mm, Oly 45mm, and waiting for my new to me the Oly 75mm. Beautiful lenses and I do print big. One day I do want to have the Nocticron :) Note I am not a pro just a daddy mainly taking pictures of his 5-year old son and family travel.
  16. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Agree absolutely its a free world and I am not upset with you... just in the spirit of open debate offering opinions regarding your question

first of all its not a cliche, more a truism that its the photographer not the camera that takes the photo. There are many examples of this but maybe check out the digital rev cheap camera/pro photographer youtube collection

secondly... you post on this forum asking whether to buy a Nikon ?... and then post pictures which frankly could have been taken with any digital camera.

Go ahead, buy the nikon as its obviously what you have convinced yourself will allow you to take 'better' pictures.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Why not to keep them both? They are different tools for different jobs.
  18. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I think you might get better responses if you identified what it was the issue with your m43 kit that made you start looking elsewhere...

You did mention pros and cons, but every camera and systems has those.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I used a D7000 for over 3 years for wildflower/insect macro photos and long-lens wildlife photos.

In March 2014, I switched to a Panasonic G6. I have not used the Nikon gear for 5 months.

Getting to a lighter weight setup was necessary for me. I went from a D7000+Sigma 150mm macro + tripod legs plus grp head weighing about 10 lbs. to a 4 lb. setup that is beautifully balanced in my hand.

The G6's EVF based features make a huge difference in getting consistent results. Changing white balance is easy, seeing a 2-second review in the EVF is very useful, fixing blown highlights is easy, the G6 ergonomics sre light-years beyond the Nikon.

I rarely have to fix anything in post processing with the G6. I'm getting Jpegs + Raw but I only use the Raw files for a few images.

I usually use ISO 400 and switch to 800 as needed. I use 1600 or 3200 in dim light but not often.

The m43 system provided me inexpensive, high quality lenses for the kinds of photos that matter to me.
  20. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I have an EP5/D7000/D7100. I am surprised that you find that the Gx7 is better at high ISO (my EP5 is a great camera but does not perform at 3200/6400 like my D7000). I have the NikonHacker video hack on my D7000 that gives me 68 mb. video data files (beautiful). I use black rapid straps for my two Nikons and carry them easily - however when I out with friends or wife the EP5 is used because of size. If you want to see what a good photographer can do with the D7000 visit Fred Miranda's Nikon forum and search for "Trench Monkey" and D7000, he gets extremely good action images using his D7000 and jpeg.

I think you have to ask your self does the benefits you see in the 7000 make up for the size and weight difference. I just took my EP5/14-42 R/40-150/Pany 14mm + GWC1 in a LowPro bag that I could just fit my D7000 and a 24-85 or 12-24 in on a 1300 mile car trip. Actually either is a great camera and it depends on your needs which one to keep. I've had my 7000 since it was first introduce and will probably keep it until it dies. But I can say the same for my EP5.