D500 and Action

Koru

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Richard.
Unlike some, I have found my E-M1 very quick to obtain initial focus (40-150 f2.8), just as fast as my D500.
Is is after that, that it goes a bit pear shaped. Panned sequences across the field are excellent with the E-M1 and 50-150f2.8, but to and from are most often to the same pattern. That is, a fast initial contact, a few frames in focus, one or two out of focus, then back in focus for a couple more. I think there is not enough processing power. The D500 rarely behaves like this, and I would guess the E-M1mk2 is similar.
Bikes coming at me at 100mph and the D500 nails them well. The E-m1 not many and certainly not sustained.
I recall when I first got the D500 experimenting with C-AF and 3D (tracking), being totally gob-smacked. I was on the edge of a very wide grassed field trying 3-D when a mynah popped its head up from the grass and took off low and quickly away from me. I stared in fascination at the little red squares dancing on and around the by now very small bird, which at the end of the field swooped straight up and over a dense bank of trees. Peppered with red all the way, with no diversion. I was not used to that!
Good luck,
Don

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Purely as a hobby, I've shot BIF with everything from a Nikon D90 with a 70-300, D600 with a 300 f4 (w and w/o the 1.4TC), D750 with an 80-400g (the newer version), and the Oly M1 with the 40 -150 f2.8 (w and w/o the 1.4TC). Actually last year I spent the first week at our usual birding spot with the M1 40-150 and the second week with the D750 and 80-400g. I thought the M1 held its own with tracking (or close enough with my middling skills) while the D750 files were better (as you'd expect) in marginal light conditions.

@MNm43 Nice shots (regardless of equipment). Was curious as to what settings you found worked best when for BIF with the E-M1 and 40-150.

--Ken

D

Deleted member 20897

Hi Richard.
Unlike some, I have found my E-M1 very quick to obtain initial focus (40-150 f2.8), just as fast as my D500.
Is is after that, that it goes a bit pear shaped. Panned sequences across the field are excellent with the E-M1 and 50-150f2.8, but to and from are most often to the same pattern. That is, a fast initial contact, a few frames in focus, one or two out of focus, then back in focus for a couple more. I think there is not enough processing power. The D500 rarely behaves like this, and I would guess the E-M1mk2 is similar.
Bikes coming at me at 100mph and the D500 nails them well. The E-m1 not many and certainly not sustained.
I recall when I first got the D500 experimenting with C-AF and 3D (tracking), being totally gob-smacked. I was on the edge of a very wide grassed field trying 3-D when a mynah popped its head up from the grass and took off low and quickly away from me. I stared in fascination at the little red squares dancing on and around the by now very small bird, which at the end of the field swooped straight up and over a dense bank of trees. Peppered with red all the way, with no diversion. I was not used to that!
Good luck,
Don

My findings are similar.

I was shooting some dance routines this past weekend. High energy hip-hop and crunk style dance. They were all over the place. D500 and 300/4 PF. I could barely keep up. on a lark, I put the D500 into 3DAF and just let it do its thing.

Talk about being surprised. Out of the 30 or so images I took, maybe 2 or 3 were out of focus. The rest were sharp!

In regards to the EM1.2 and tracking....the hockey game I was shooting, when the skaters were moving in a linear fashion, there was not much of an issue. However, when they would move erratically away/toward the camera, that is when the olympus fell apart and the C-AF just could not keep up.

MNm43

Mu-43 Veteran
@MNm43 Nice shots (regardless of equipment). Was curious as to what settings you found worked best when for BIF with the E-M1 and 40-150.

--Ken
Just to be clear, those shots were with the D500, 9pt dynamic. With the M1, I used old school - single point continuous focus. These are from the M1:
20160120-15-06-08-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20160120-15-02-53-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Koru

Mu-43 Regular
Beautiful shots MNm :flowers_2:
The E-M1 is very good on single shot alright. More in a row to choose from would be nice though, and the Mk2 probably does it.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Just to be clear, those shots were with the D500, 9pt dynamic. With the M1, I used old school - single point continuous focus. These are from the M1:
View attachment 517868 View attachment 517869
Thanks for the reply. I knew the first set were from different combinations, but I was still wondering about your E-M1 set-up. The images in this post were quite nice as well. I wish I had your sunny skies during our bird migration season (winter).

Thanks,

--Ken

MNm43

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the reply. I knew the first set were from different combinations, but I was still wondering about your E-M1 set-up. The images in this post were quite nice as well. I wish I had your sunny skies during our bird migration season (winter).

Thanks,

--Ken
Yeah, those were from our winter respite in FL at the Ding Darling Wildlife refuge. My daughter is out in Seattle and apparently an entire sunny day is an event. I was looking through my files to find a BIF with the M1/40-150 combo and there just weren't that many as I usually delete images that are either unrecoverable or not clearly in focus. The perching (or wading) bird images are plentiful, but maybe only a dozen BIF. From the week with the D500, there were literally 100's to choose from. Part of this may have been just better opportunities, but the equipment clearly made a difference.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Yeah, those were from our winter respite in FL at the Ding Darling Wildlife refuge. My daughter is out in Seattle and apparently an entire sunny day is an event. I was looking through my files to find a BIF with the M1/40-150 combo and there just weren't that many as I usually delete images that are either unrecoverable or not clearly in focus. The perching (or wading) bird images are plentiful, but maybe only a dozen BIF. From the week with the D500, there were literally 100's to choose from. Part of this may have been just better opportunities, but the equipment clearly made a difference.
Aligning a sunny day with a day off from work in the winter so I can attempt some BIF can be an event for me these past few winters. No worries on the samples. I shoot with Nikon as well as Olympus, but have not quite got the tuning right with my E-M1 for BIF. I know the keeper rate is not going to be the same, but I still want to improve my skills with this set-up so I am not the weakest link, or at least not by much. I suspect that either a D500 or D7200 may see its way into my kit, but I have been trying to put that off as long as possible unless I really need it for a specific project.

Thanks,

--Ken

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Had a day out with the D500 and 300mm f4 AF-S ED (the old one), and my E-M1 with the 60mm Macro for pit shots, see #6, MV Agusta. I can see why many have come into the m43 system for general photography!
Wow, I thought I logged into Nikonians there for a moment. I had no idea there was an Other Systems forum on mu-43.

Nice shots Don.

MNm43

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow, I thought I logged into Nikonians there for a moment. I had no idea there was an Other Systems forum on mu-43.

Nice shots Don.
It's all just fun. Mu-43 is one of the few forums where I haven't see the constant format angst.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Nikon photos are welcome here on Mu-43, and I don't mean to discourage that at all.

However, I do want to put in a quick word that I've been transferred ownership of Nikon Cafe and hope our dual Micro 4/3 and Nikon shooters will check it out if you haven't done so already!

Koru

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for pointer about the cafe Amin.
But would I be right saying that Nikon pics should not be displayed in forums other than this one? I would have the guilt's about posting on the Sport and Action forum, unless maybe I had a few side by side with my Oly pics from the same event? I would understand being advised no!
Cheers,
Don

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Don, that is entirely at your discretion. Occasionally members advise otherwise, but our longstanding policy here is that you are welcome to do it. I think it's perfectly fine. All best, Amin

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Nikon photos are welcome here on Mu-43, and I don't mean to discourage that at all.

However, I do want to put in a quick word that I've been transferred ownership of Nikon Cafe and hope our dual Micro 4/3 and Nikon shooters will check it out if you haven't done so already!
Are you able to provide any more information about this transfer?

--Ken

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Are you able to provide any more information about this transfer?

The owner there has had changing interests and circumstances. He was also spending a lot of money (close to $4k per year) paying for the server while neither accepting any donations nor any other form of revenue (ads, etc). For at least a couple years he's been looking for someone to take it over for him. At the same time, I've been reading over there (lurking) and felt that it was a great community, similar in many ways to this one. Basically I was in the right place at the right time...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
The owner there has had changing interests and circumstances. He was also spending a lot of money (close to $4k per year) paying for the server while neither accepting any donations nor any other form of revenue (ads, etc). For at least a couple years he's been looking for someone to take it over for him. At the same time, I've been reading over there (lurking) and felt that it was a great community, similar in many ways to this one. Basically I was in the right place at the right time...
I used to be a member of Nikonians before I joined here and primarily shot with m4/3rd's. I never renewed my membership even though I was a member for about 4-5 years. I don't have many questions these days, but it is good to know there is an alternative as I still shoot with Nikon gear. Nikonians had its own vibe, but I was just not much of a fan of how they ran the site and all of their workshops etc.

All the best,

--Ken

Koru

Mu-43 Regular
I used to be a member of Nikonians before I joined here and primarily shot with m4/3rd's. I never renewed my membership even though I was a member for about 4-5 years. I don't have many questions these days, but it is good to know there is an alternative as I still shoot with Nikon gear. Nikonians had its own vibe, but I was just not much of a fan of how they ran the site and all of their workshops etc.

All the best,

--Ken
I made the mistake of joining Nikonians. Well, I may be unfair, but it just did not ring my bells. Emails every few days, I need to exit.
This site is a breath of fresh air, no wonder it is so popular.
Don

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Reviving this old thread as there were a number of D500 owners posting on it. I have patiently waited for a good Nikon sale on the D500, and it just popped up today (an additional $100 off from the old sale plus the free grip). Before I hurt my wallet, I wanted to check with folks after having owned their D500's for a few more months to see if they had any more words of wisdom or changes of heart. Any new or additional owner feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

damianmkv

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Zero regrets for me - maybe it's GAS or natural progression, maybe I'll come back to m43 full time in a few years. But for now, the d500 wins for fast action, high ISO, slow SS panning detail

I'm happy with my purchase, I've taken around 1750 shots so far and all is good

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Zero regrets for me - maybe it's GAS or natural progression, maybe I'll come back to m43 full time in a few years. But for now, the d500 wins for fast action, high ISO, slow SS panning detail

I'm happy with my purchase, I've taken around 1750 shots so far and all is good
Had originally planned on the D7200 back this spring as it was a mostly bug-free body with good IQ, but the one issue I wanted to address was focus on moving objects, and almost all accounts have the D500 being much better.

I assume that you are also happy with the IQ and look of the D500 images in addition to nailing focus.

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom