Cygnus revisited

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Oct 23, 2015.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi all,

I have been working on learning how to process my pictures in Pixinsight for a couple of weeks now and this is the first image that I feel I have been able to process successfully. Even though it is an expensive software and has a big learning curve, I personally feel that it is worth every penny as the quality of my pictures have increased dramatically since I started using it.

This was taken with a modified EPM2 with a 25mm 1.8 at f/4 at ISO 800 and with a Hoya red enhancer. It consists of 10 x 3.5min light frames, with bias, darks and flats added to the equation.

Cheers! Cygnus lrg1.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    very nice. i have an epm1, im wondering if it would be up to task for night and astrophotography.
  3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks! I used to have the epm1 and I don't think is as capable for night photography as the epm2. That being said, I am sure you could get decent results if you stack multiple images and do dark frame subtraction to deal with noise. All of that being said, I wouldn't personally waste my time with the emp1 since they are so many other cheap alternatives out there that can perform much better (I got my emp2 new for $180 on amazon). Modifying the camera will also help if you are interested in nebulae, otherwise it won't pick it up.