CWB question on EPL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by boogie, Apr 30, 2010.

1. boogie

boogie New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi

I'm Andrea from Pittsburgh, Pa., and have just purchased my first m4/3 cam.
    I chose the EPL1. After using slr's/dslr's over 40 years this cam is a gem and
    I don't even mind the shutter speed. :smile:

I have been shooting infrared for over 8 years with various P&S/Dslr's and plan on converting this cam to Full Spectrum.
    I use a Leica C-LUX3 for my visible pictures.
    But I've run into a problem that maybe someone can help me with.

How do you control WB/CWB while in the Art Filters? All my images require
    a CWB with a infrared converted camera.

I've tried everything I could think of in the menus while in Art Filter Mode and it won't budge from Auto WB.
    I sure hope I'm missing something somewhere. :frown:

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    My instinctive reaction is that Art Filters only work with JPEG, so why bother?

Maybe an E-PL1 user here can make "CWB" work for you in that mode, but I wouldn't bother. Just set your custom WB to give you useful previews and histograms, and then apply your "filters" and other processing as you process the RAW files and/or once you get it into Photoshop.

Do you prefer a different way of working?

3. boogie

boogie New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2010
    Yes you are correct David as to art filters working in only jpeg...which is fine for me.

I did some more looking in the camera menus and found I could change Auto WB to CWB in the G menu. Went back to the art filter and it worked.

Today I've set a CWB and have the histogram showing...I can't work without the histogram. The feature set is great on the camera I just have to learn it.

Until I get comfortable with this new camera system I'll be using jpeg. I shoot Raw with my IR Canon 20D's so I'm familiar with the processing. I always save my processed raw to tiff then finish in Photoshop.

Thanks for the feedback David. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

boogie, I enjoy the art filters on the E-PL1, too, but I did not know there was an option to change the white balance while using them. Good investigative work!:cool:

5. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    I have noticed this too, about AWB in art filters. You can switch to an art filter, hit MENU, scroll down to the gears G, to the Color/WB menu and choose any WB you want. You can even adjust the amber and green axes on each WB slot. The camera seems to reset back to Auto WB when you flip away from art filters and back to it again.

6. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    boogie - are u going to remove the IR filter yourself?? i am thinking about having a go at the e500 i have surplus now the p1 is here. the only sites i can find with tips for the proceedure is for the canon 300/350 (rebel in US)

7. boogie

boogie New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks BBW.

Yes Faraday. Since my E-PL1 will be IR converted the CWB is important.

Dannat...

Remove it myself! No Way. I leave camera conversions to the professionals.

After reading this it confirms my answer. I would NOT attempt this. :eek:
    IR-Photo.net | Infrared Photography

spencerscamera.com converts the E500

Lifepixel.com converts Canon/Nikon and 2 Fuji

maxmax.com doesn't list the E500.

Good Luck if attempting to convert yourself.