CV Ultron 28mm vs CZ 28mm C/Y

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by travisennis, Jan 26, 2011.

1. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    After having such a great experience with my new Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.4 lens, I'm considering getting a manual lens that is closer to a standard lens in 35mm terms. If I had the funds and it was available I would seriously consider the Voigtlander 25mm 0.95, but that is not likely to happen any time soon. So, given how much I like my Carl Zeiss 50mm lens, I started looking at the 28mm 2.8 lens in the same mount. I've done some research and I've read very favorable reviews about that lens. It also has a few pluses in its favor: it could reuse the same adapter as I currently have, it has the same filter thread size as the 50mm, etc. However, I think it is a bit slow for a 'standard' lens at 2.8. So, I started looking at the CV Ultron 28mm. It's a bit faster at 2.0 and also gets lots of good reviews from people using it on m43 cameras. Plus, I just like the looks of it. Negatives are that it's more expensive, I would need to buy another adapter, it doesn't focus very closely, etc.

I'm just having trouble making a choice between the two. I know they are both good lenses, but it's hard to compare them by only reading about them.
    Recommendations, anecdotes, or advice from those of you that have owned or use either of these lens would really help me in choosing one over the other.

Travis

2. travisennis

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Ok, here is a question that is more general and, perhaps, more interesting. Can a 28mm lens even be used as the equivalent of a standard lens on a m43 camera? A 28mm lens would have image distortion if used close up on a full-frame camera; wouldn't that image distortion still be there even on the cropped sensor of my gf1?

3. A decent 28mm prime lens should not exhibit significant distortion, and if it exists it will mostly be visible in the extreme edges of the frame which aren't used on a 4/3 sensor. Perspective distortion is relative to the angle of view, not specifically focal length.

4. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
  5. ebrandon

ebrandon New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2010
    In my opinion, two inexpensive lenses in this focal range that are absolutely incredible are the CY Zeiss 28mm f2.8 and the OM 24 f2.8.

The CY Zeiss 28mm is sharp, contrasty, tiny, and wonderful on m43. Can't recommend this lens enough.

The OM 24mm is beautiful in the hand, has gorgeous bokeh, is very close focusing, and also is tailor-made for m43. One of my best lenses.

They're cheap -- get both!

6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    "cheap" is relative ... the Zeiss seems to go for anything between £200 and £300 (300-450 USD) on eBay

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Don't forget, the Ultron 28mm f2 is a very small lens and only needs a very small adapter.

Cheers

Ray

8. travisennis

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    I appreciate everyone's feedback and based on it I had decided on the zeiss until ebrandon mentioned the Olympus om 24mm 2.8. That lens gets very good reviews and it generally seems to be much cheaper than the zeiss. If I can find a good multicoated version of it at a decent price then I may go for it, although I'm still kind of stuck on the zeiss. Unfortunately I can't buy both. Choices, choices.

9. The OM24 is right at the top of my want list too. IMO 24mm also works better on m4/3 than 28mm, which I often find to be not quite wide enough.