1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CV 15mm + GH1 + adaptor = NO infinity focus?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Activator, May 11, 2010.

1. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I just picked up a used Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 (newer Leica M mount), and bought an M to M43rds adaptor from Rainbowimaging on eBay.

I have purchased 5 different adaptors from them for different lenses, and all have been excellent, but this M adaptor won't allow for infinity focusing!

I held the lens in front of the GH1 with no adaptor, and it seems like it needs to move back 1mm or so closer to the sensor in order to achieve infinity focus.

Rainbowimaging says they've tested the adaptor and it should actually go a little PAST infinity, but it should not stop BEFORE infinity is achieved. They have offered a full refund, but I'm now wondering if the newer 15mm M mount is incompatible with M adaptors??

Anyone have a 15mm M mount + adaptor that focuses to infinity? If so, which one. I have no problem spending the big bucks on a Pana or Novoflex adaptor, but not if it's going to have the same problem.

Note that the Rainbowimaging adaptor I got seems to be the exact same one as Amazon sells under the Fotodiox brand name.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've got the 15mm and use the Voigtlander and RJ Camera (from memory, need to check) adapters and have no problems with either.

Cheers

Ray

3. inmyeye

inmyeye Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2010
    Chicago-USA
    Activator, I can't be sure this will be of any help, but you never know. I had come across a blog where this guy was talking about RJ Adaptors. The one he refers to was for Canon FD lenses, but I thought it might be worth a try as he had the same problem you are. Here is the link: in my view ...: micro 4/3 lens adapter

scroll down about midway down the page and you will see: "infinity focus revisited-problem solved" It would seem to require only a small screwdriver (you will see what I mean) There are three small screws in the adaptor plate. He was advised to check and see if they were not tightened down all the way. Indeed they were not and after tightening them (carefully) his infinity focus issue was solved. Hope this helps.

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    inmyeye - I had the same problem with my M43 to Nikon adapter - as you mentioned screws loose, (don't we all have these), tightened and no problem since.

5. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for all the replies!

The adaptor screws are tight... I actually took the silver plate OFF, and held the lens in front of the black, M43rds part, and the lens needs to move back about 1-1.5mm further than the silver plate will let it. Something's wrong.

Could the lens itself be "off" in some way? This is, again, the M-mount 15mm Heliar, not the screw mount.

6. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Could someone measure the depth of their Leica M to M43 adaptor? From the flat front face to the flat M43 mounting face. Note the slightly beveled edges... try to measure from flat to flat.

Mine is exactly 9mm.

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    could be i had a similar problem with an rj rollei slr adapter

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I have both the RJ adaptor and the Voigtlander VM - M43 to Leica M

and will check and post a photo

RJ is on the left

just under 9mm - tigh-tish sliding fit

(just a smidgen under 9mm as I would say, not being at all technical)

[​IMG]

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have a Voigtlander and a Chinese brand (can't find which one) and they are both exactly (as best as I can measure without a caliper) 8mm from front flange face to the rear.

But then I remembered that I do have a caliper and the Voigtlander comes in at 8.263 mm (0.3253") and the Chinese one at 8.255 mm (0.3250") (stuffed up the first conversion from imperial to metric).

Cheers

Ray

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Morning Oz

Am I do something wrong in the way I measure the thing - could be as I'm not great with these measuring things

just read the book with the measuring thing and it looks like 8.79mm on the Voitlander and the same on the RJ - to the nearest 2 decimal places

Both adapters have a very very slight "lip" on the outer edge of the face that meets the camera

Cheers

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Looking at the photo of your caliper, it seems to be just on 8.5mm. You read it by looking at the largest number on the 0 mark (8mm) and then find where the lower scale mark lines up with the higher one, appears to be about 5 (0.5mm). One thing I can't guarantee is that my old imperial calipers are fully accurate, and they're bloody hard to read, so the distance is somewhere between 8.3mm and 8.5mm.

Cheers

Ray

12. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Oz

did it again a couple of time

the 7 is the next nearest that lines up the closest, just a little better than the 5 and after that the 9 is then the nearest 2nd digit

anyway - what has been established is that it is not 9mm

Is this why they call is Micro 4 thirds

Cheers

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It's been a long time since I've used manual calipers (I almost bought a digital once last week), so my interpretation of your metric set may be wrong. You may in fact have to read where the top scale aligns with the bottom one and that is your fraction of a mm. In that case, yours appears to be much more closer to mine, at about 8.3mm. We need an Injun-Near to set this right. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

14. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    The way I read the instruction leaflet is

Top scale gives you the 8 ......... and nearer to 9 than 8

Then you look for the nearest digit on the bottom scale that lines up the best, which is 7

and then you look for the next nearest digit that lines up the best which is 9

as i said there is a small lip on the edge that fits to the cam - - unless you get the calipers "dead square" this edge tends to push it off square and reduce the reading slightly

Anyway this is another "anorak" debate that we can have

Also the RJ has just one "screwed in ring" - on the lens side - it is machined on the cam side

Whereas

The VM adaptor has a screwed in ring on BOTH faces - which, maybe, allows it to be adjusted in a way that the (an) article on the web states

Cheers

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yeah, my Voigtlander has a lip on the camera side (why?), but the Chinese one doesn't. Either way, I don't seem to have infinity problems, or haven't pixel peeped enough.

Cheers

Ray

16. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for all the replies!

Upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass and precision ruler (not calipers), I'm going to say that the adaptor I have measures @ 8.6-8.75mm flat-to-flat. It needs to be closer to 8mm for my 15mm to achieve infinity.

So... I'm guessing there's some subtle difference in the M version of the lens?

BTW, the inability to focus to infinity isn't a "pixel peeping" thing. The infinity focus isn't even close. I CAN focus sharply on things in the 2-5 foot area, but anything farther than that and it is blurred no matter where the focus ring is set.

I can see the inner lens element moving when I turn the focus ring, so it is definitely not stuck or binding. This is a virtually brand new lens.

Hmmmm....

17. traveler_101

traveler_101 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    bad business

The difference between 8mm and 8.7mm is substantial--not merely a matter of tiny machining error. What do you do, send it back to China? :rolleyes:

I would very much like to avoid this happening to me. I have purchased the same lens, except its the older screw mount version. Can anyone recommend an adapter that works on this lens?

Mark

18. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I think you may be OK with the screw mount 15mm. I have a feeling it's an M mount thing.

I may actually do an eBay "trade" and get a screw mount version... I have an LTM adaptor that I know works. I just liked the "look" of the newer 15mm with those chunky, squared-off petals.

19. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I have a Metabones adapter that allows all my M-mount lenses to focus slightly past infinity while my Voigtlander adapter does not allow the lenses to focus past infinity. Seems there is some variation between the adapters as well as some variation among lenses. If you are interested I could send you the Metabones adapter that I'm not using and you could try it to see if you're interested in buying it.

-Thomas

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I very much doubt that there is anything wrong with the lens, it's the adapters that can vary tremendously and often the very cheapest are so because they don't get the same rigour as the more well known ones. I posted a list of suppliers that I've used, and so far haven't had issues with any of them.

You'd be better off trying another adapter brand than selling the lens and getting a screw mount. Selling the lens wold be like selling your car and getting a different one, because the tyres are not good.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1