CV 10.5 F0.95 vs Oly 12 F2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by walter_j, Dec 30, 2014.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I currently have the Olympus 12mm F2 - which I like. Cosina Voightlander's 10.5 is coming soon, which I'm interested in, but am wondering if the CV FOV of 93 deg would be much different than the Oly 12mm at 84 deg. 9 degrees doesn't seem like much of a difference. Although f0.95 is much faster than the f2, but I imagine the f0.95 is also soft wide open. I'm also wondering how useful bokeh is in a wide angle lens, where sharp landcapes is the normal use for such a lens. Any suggestions/comments?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    9 degrees doesn't seem like much on the long end of a telephoto, but on the short end of a wide lens, that is a lot more than you think.

The way I look at it is this. It is a heck of a lot easier to rack out a telephoto and crop some than it is to try and back up further or shoot a stitched panorama to get the extra width you need.

If you need the extra light and the wider FOV and are OK with manual focusing and have the money to finance it...then do what you think is best.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I would imagine that this would be the most expensive of the 0.95's. I'm guessing in the $1,200+ range. For my needs personally, I use UWA so infrequently that it isn't worth it to me. Sure I would love a 21 equivalent, but personally I'm looking forward to the 7-14 Pro more. Yes it's a little slower, but covers the 21 equivalent, and goes wider if needed. I used to shoot with the 14-24 on Nikon and there was a few times that I went super wide.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    In my film days, mostly street & landscapes, I at one time owned every WA/UWA prime FL from 35 to 19mm. When I got a 21-19 prime, I always sold any 28 or 24 I had & always kept the 35 but didn't use it much.

Currently own m43 12mm & 9-18. When using the 9-18, it's always at 9. But I keep the 12 for low light & love doing night sky now that I'Ve got digital. So yes IMHO, there's a useful difference between 12 & 10.5. But wider would be better. Also own really wide pano cameras.

But I'm considering the now shipping SLR Magic 10mm f2 mainly because I have strong doubts the CV f0.95 will be usable for night sky work at its max aperture. All the other 0.95 CV lenses have lots of coma & astigmatism until stopped down to f2. Take a look at reviews over at LensTips. The SLR may be no better & that's why I'm waiting. But if it's sharp, I'll again sell the 12mm when I get the 10mm.

FWIW, In my film days, I owned a couple f1.2 & was always disappointed. A slightly more modest aperture was always significantly sharper.

Unless your goal is shallow DOF, creamy smooth images.

• Like Like x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    It's big difference. I suggest that before you lay out the big bucks for the 0.95 buy a used 9-18mm and spend some quality time with it. You'll see for yourself what a difference a mm or two makes at the wide end and you'll also get a sense of whether it matters for you. Worst case, then, sell the 9-18mm for nearly what you paid for it. Probably a $30-50 tuition expense to find out what you really want. Buy it right, sell it right, and it won't cost you anything.

So many people treat these lens decisions like they are decisions to get married. IMO that is silly. Buy used to try. Sell if you're not happy. The cost is negligible and, unlike a human one-night stand, there is no risk of negative aftereffects.

• Like Like x 2
  7. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Ok. Sold my Oly 12! never thought that would happen. Now I have to sit on my hands and wait for the CV10.5

8. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Looking forward to what you think of the CV10.5. I still haven't seen a price for it. Have you?

9. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    no. I expect 1300 CDN, about what the 17.5 goes for. I saved for it already, and am being tempted by the 42.5 too. If a good deal comes along...