Cuyabeno reserve, Ecaudor

Discussion in 'Nature' started by mattia, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I just came back from an amazing month in Ecuador - at least, amazing in terms of what I saw, but a lot of bad luck photographically (wrong charger for the E-M5 batteries, so only 3 charges for 4 weeks of travel, and worse, 2 weeks worth of Galapagos photographs stolen (memory cards and passports), and the E-M5 is acting a little flaky, possibly due to humidity/seaside, so it'll be off to Oly for an overhaul soon).

So I'll definitely have to go back to the Galapagos to do the place justice, photographically, with more batteries, backup chargers and double-backups of all the memory cards once I've filled them with images :)

Anyway, I thought I'd share a selection of images I shot with the E-M5 and the Panasonic 100-300 (no chimping, screen off to conserve battery got me 300 shots with plenty of battery to spare). Post-processed from RAW with DxO Optics Pro. Click for larger versions, more of the same in the set. Shot all the landscape stuff with the RX100, still sorting/post-processing that.

Shooting conditions were generally not easy (shooting off a moving boat, often against strong backlighting or into dim canopy), and I was pretty happy with the results. I don't shoot a lot of tele, and 600mm effective focal length is even less forgiving than 400 on FF. I prefer shooting in the Savannah, much easier lighting ;) Curious to see what some of these look like in print...

Long-tailed Potoo with chick. Weird-looking birds, blending in quite well.
    P7308155_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Squirrel monkey:
    P7318188_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Noisy Night Monkeys. Nocturnal, this was high up in a tree, very dim lighting, spot metered to expose them decently. ISO 3200, boderline shutter:
    P7318222_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Wooly Monkey (I think...)
    P8018304_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Spectacled Caiman:
    P8018355_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    EVERYTHING is interesting here - and shot well. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Bummer - how did that happen?
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Classic bait and switch. Distracted by two guys and a third stole my GF's bag. Live and learn.