1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Customizing buttons on EM-5 MK II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jrsilva, Dec 9, 2015.

1. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hello.

I'm using old manual lenses more often, so I decided to have my EM-5 MK II optimized to aid me in manual focus.
    I've set Focus Peaking to Fn2 button and I'm already comfortable using that button without even getting my eye off of the EVF.
    But I also want/need the Magnify feature, so I decided to assign Magnify function to the Movie Record button. All the other Fn buttons are assigned to other useful features for me and I rarely do movies. But then I thought that one never know when a unexpected situation may arise right on our front and we need to start recording quickly.
    I thought I could use Multi function assigned to the Movie Record button, but then I realized that Multi Function is only available to 4 functions (5 with the addition of OVF simulation on firmware 2.0 update) and none of them are the Movie Record.

I've start reading the manual trying to find a solution for my needs and then I noticed the BFn1 and BFn2.
    I thought that they were a set of alternative Fn buttons accessible via the Lever switch.
    My thinking was that when I set the Lever switch to position "2" they would replace the Fn1 and Fn2 assigned function with the functions of BFn1 and BFn2.
    That's not what is happening...
    I've changed BFn functions on the Menus first, but I'm not getting into BFn1 and BFn2 functions...
    Looks like when I set Lever switch to position "2" the only things that change are the two scrolling buttons assigned functions (ISO and White Balance are the default assigned functions to Lever "2" position).

So, wow to get to the BFn, or wow to use them?
    Or, any other idea to let the Movie Record as it is and assign the Magnify in a different way (having in mind that I want to engage Focus Peaking and Magnify at the same time)?

Before someone suggest the Aperture button on the front of the camera, I'm using that button to preview DOF on native lenses and I find it useful.
    I've also assigned (and using) HDR button to HDR.
    LV button is assigned to Super Control Panel.
    I'm using FN1 to AEL/AFL (using AEL).

Thank's for reading.

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I've had my camera for only a week, so my settings may change, but the functions I have on custom buttons are...
    • HDR = HDR bracketing
    • Front button = DOF preview
    • Record button = Movie record
    • Rear lever = Toggle manual focus
    • Fn1 = WB/ISO adjust with dials
    • Fn2 = Magnify
    • Fn3 = Focus peaking

• Like Like x 1
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The Bxx buttons are on the external grip I believe. The 1/2 switch is limiting IMO, as well as the lack of metering mode button assignment. Basically, Olympus still needs work on Fn buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank you.
    And here do you have assigned the Super Control Panel?
    It is assigned to Fn3 by default.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Warning, incoming heresy: I don't use it. You can activate SCP by pressing "OK" button while shooting -- if you get the side menu instead, pressing "INFO" while highlighting most options will switch to Super Control Panel. I don't know if it is significantly different from what you get with the default Fn3 button function.

• Like Like x 1
  6. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    BFn = battery grip function buttons

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    I have assigned MySet4 to manual focus lenses. I have Fn1 set to magnify and Fn2 set to peaking. I have disabled the REC button so that I don't get surprised. By changing the mode dial to movie (one step away from my normal M position), the REC button is once again enabled. Go back to M and the return to MySet4 is complete.
    Another strategy would be to keep one MySet for movie capture and assign that MySet to one of the Fn buttons. This acts as a toggle. Press once and you change from Legacy Lens to Movie Capture, press again to change back. If you are in a different MySet by virtue of a button, this will appear in the viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank you for sharing your settings :thumbup:
    I will try that when I get home.

9. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's for the suggestion.
    I don't have the camera with me right now, but there's one thing I will try:
    Even setting the Magnify function to the Movie Record button, I think when one rotate the Mode dial to Movie it will act like a Record button again. Well, I hope so. I'm curious to try that.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Ok, problem solved.
    I've assigned Magnify function to the Movie Record button, and if I ever need to start record I just need to turn the Mode dial to Movie.
    Having Focus Peaking and Magnify on Fn2 and Record buttons respectively is a comfortable solution because both buttons are close to each other at the near end of the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tifoso

Tifoso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    Germany
    Giuseppe
    You can use the Multi function to magnify and leave the record button default... Isn't that an Option?

12. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Unfortunately not.
    Multifunction does not include all the functions.
    Only a mere 5 functions and none of them are the Movie Record.
    Anyway, my problem is solved as I said on post #10

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015