Customizing an OM-D E-M10 - What Have You Done?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billbooz, Mar 4, 2014.

1. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I'm ready to start adding some customization to my new E-M10 now that I've had it for a week plus. I have a few ideas percolating in my brain based on my experiences using the camera for this short time (, but I was wondering what others with the E-M10 have done with their cameras.

I'm thinking I want to assign ISO to a button and want to be able to activate Wi-Fi with a button if I even can. Any suggestions?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Right now, I have Fn1 set to One Touch WB and L-Fn set to AF Area Select for when I use the 12-40mm. Haven't changed Fn2 yet.
  3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    First, I'd install the RRS OM-D E-M10 L-plate and probably be happy. If that didn't pickle mah pickle, I'd go all out and customize it with new leather, e.g., white cobra or kid skin with matching hand strap.
  4. stu-52

stu-52 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2014
    Southern California, near L.A.
    Stuart Liddle
    For now, I have set the following:

Fn1 - AEL (not sure I'll keep it this way)
    Fn2 - Exposure Bracketing
    Rec - Manual Focus
  5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    You should get some flames painted down the side. That makes it faster.
  6. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure if this should be here, but I came across this video which would be very helpful to me as I customize my E-M10
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Dial 2 - flash exposure comp
    Fn2 - magnify
    Fn1 - 2x ETC
    Right arrow - ISO/WB
  8. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    - changed auto iso settings
    - enabled focus peaking in mf-assist settings
    - created a preset for street (monotone) and set the myset on the mode dial (scn)
    - changed the evf style to "2" and enabled the half way level
    - enabled quick release to delete photos with one press
    - changed the filename to have my name as prefix
    - changed power off and sleep settings to save battery. especially on my street myset I've a short sleep limit... wake up time is fast enough
    - disabled live guide and live control in the control settings
    - assigned the multi function button to fn1 and AEL to fn2.
    - set the AEL metering (menu E) to spot metering so I can always quickly switch to spot metering with FN2
  9. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Had forgotten the E-M10 had a buil-in HDR feature. Someone reminded me and I tried it. Thought it was cool, so removed ISO/WB from my Fn2 button and set it to HDR. Moved ISO/WB to 3 o'clock dial position. RESULT: kept hitting the Fn2 button by mistake (didn't seem to happen before??) and found I was pressing shutter button and firing off tons of shots. Went back to my original configuration and plan to access HDR via menu!

No way to assign Wi-Fi to a button I've found. So, now have following configuration:
    - Fn2: ISO/WB
    - Rcd: Focus Peaking
    - Fn1: AEL/AFL
    - Rt Arrow: drive mode
    - Dwn Arrow: Flash Mode

I have also created custom configurations an assigned them to MySets. Only two so far:
    - MySet1: Picture Mode Natural, ISO 200, Focus mode S C-AF
    - MySet2: Picture Mode Monotone with +2 Contrast & +2 Saturation, ISO 400, Focus mode S C-AF

I have #1 assigned to the "S" position on my Mode Dial for "standard" shooting (I don't use Shutter- or Aperture-Priorty) and #2 assigned to "A" position for "artsy." This way, when I switch to either of those modes, the focusing function is with my Fn1 button and NOT with the shutter button! "Back Button Focusing" essentially. If I hand camera of to someone else, I can either switch it to S S-AF focusing mode or set Mode Dial to iAuto Mode. Still experimenting, though, and always interested in how others set their buttons.
  10. stovi

stovi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    fn1 home focus (Although I tend to focus and recompose, I'm doing this to remind me I can change the focus point)

fn2 manual focus (so I can just start firing shots off assuming i have some dof to play with)

Switched front and rear dial around so shutter and aperture are on the front (in s or a mode) as that feels easier for me.

I did this without reading any hints and tips (for a change). I don't know if it will work long term but that's how it's been since day one.
  11. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    This camera is highly customizable but sometimes the limitations are quite frustrating ;)

I wonder why the function that can be assigned to the arrows are so limited.
    I can't find more than one function... only ISO/WB (and I really don't want to change WB so I would have prefered an ISO only setting, but that's not possible)

That's not possible to assign zoom + focus peaking to one button.
    I would have like different settings for MF lenses.

So long for the complaints ;), my configuration so far:
    - Fn2: zoom
    - Rec: MF switch
    - Left/Bottom arrows: ISO / WB

I may switch back to my initial configuration where I used the arrows for focus point, and :
    - Fn2: ISO / WB
    - Rec: MF switch

But then, I found no way to activate the zoom manually (when it's not assigned to a button) even with the control panel or the menus.
  12. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz