custom WB EM5

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by PacNWMike, Aug 16, 2015.

1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    So I just picked up an expocap which was A B&H deal a couple of days ago. I thought that I could just put the cap on and set a One-touch WB as per p50 in the EM5 maunual. No luck. What am I missing? Any tips?

OneTouchWB-EM5.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    What happened when you tried?

You know you'll have to redo it if the lighting changes or you go to a different location, right?

Barry

3. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Well, nothing happens. View attachment 434068 After I push the INFO button the one-touch white balance screen does not come up so I cannot save anything.

Yes, I know I'll have to set the WB each time but I was thinking to program a function button....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And you're selecting the one-touch WB first? (I'm not sure if they're referring to a button or a menu. The E-M1 has one button)

IIRC, on the E-M1, you can hold the one-touch WB button and press the shutter. I think.

Barry

5. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Does this help? I'm away from my camera, so I can't try it, but it looks like the issue might be that the camera won't focus on the plain white surface. (For what it's worth, I couldn't make the custom WB work on my E-M5, either. I'll try this method when I get home.)

http://greggmack.com/2012/07/09/setting-a-custom-white-balance-in-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5/

6. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Thanks for that FF. It'll take some time to digest when I get home....

7. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I use an expodisc all the time. I have the function button on the front of the camera set to custom wb... I hold that with my ring finger and then press/hold the shutter. You do need to hold the shutter for a second or two for it to take.... can seem quite long compared to a quick press for a regular exposure. Alternatively, when I'm in manual focus, it captures the custom wb immediately.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Well, I got the camera to record a "One Touch" WB. Thanks for the tips. Meter then set in M mode works for me. They must use some different math to count the "touches" though. Took some test images which I will post when I get time. Bottom line, custom WB sucked. Auto WB was best followed by sunny. (it was a sunny day.)