1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

custom WB EM5

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by PacNWMike, Aug 16, 2015.

1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    So I just picked up an expocap which was A B&H deal a couple of days ago. I thought that I could just put the cap on and set a One-touch WB as per p50 in the EM5 maunual. No luck. What am I missing? Any tips?

OneTouchWB-EM5.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    What happened when you tried?

You know you'll have to redo it if the lighting changes or you go to a different location, right?

Barry

3. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Well, nothing happens. After I push the INFO button the one-touch white balance screen does not come up so I cannot save anything.

Yes, I know I'll have to set the WB each time but I was thinking to program a function button....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And you're selecting the one-touch WB first? (I'm not sure if they're referring to a button or a menu. The E-M1 has one button)

IIRC, on the E-M1, you can hold the one-touch WB button and press the shutter. I think.

Barry

5. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Does this help? I'm away from my camera, so I can't try it, but it looks like the issue might be that the camera won't focus on the plain white surface. (For what it's worth, I couldn't make the custom WB work on my E-M5, either. I'll try this method when I get home.)

http://greggmack.com/2012/07/09/setting-a-custom-white-balance-in-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5/

6. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Thanks for that FF. It'll take some time to digest when I get home....

7. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I use an expodisc all the time. I have the function button on the front of the camera set to custom wb... I hold that with my ring finger and then press/hold the shutter. You do need to hold the shutter for a second or two for it to take.... can seem quite long compared to a quick press for a regular exposure. Alternatively, when I'm in manual focus, it captures the custom wb immediately.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Well, I got the camera to record a "One Touch" WB. Thanks for the tips. Meter then set in M mode works for me. They must use some different math to count the "touches" though. Took some test images which I will post when I get time. Bottom line, custom WB sucked. Auto WB was best followed by sunny. (it was a sunny day.)