Custom Naming Files on E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thenextpage, Dec 19, 2014.

1. thenextpage

thenextpage Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2014
    I'm wondering if there is a way to custom name photos that are taken with my E-M5. For example, lets say I'm in New York. Is there a way that all photos taken in Brooklyn can have filenames brooklyn.orf, instead of 002.orf? I've spent an hour going through the menu but can't figure it out.

Thank you!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

You can change the first letter of the filename; search for "EDIT FILE NAME" at http://biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html#SECTION4

Or you can just remember the dates you were in Brooklyn and file the photos into folders (or bulk-rename them) when you get home.

Barry

3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I use Lightroom similar to what Barry mentioned: as soon as I import them, I assign keywords to the group - like "Vacation" or "Florida" or whatever I want to remember those shots by. You can rename the folders into which you import the photos, too. I toyed with custom filenames in the past but found it more trouble than it is worth.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    While you can alter more than just the first letter, I prefer just altering the first letter to keep the date portion of the filename intact...I only have different letters for my black and silver E-M5's and E-3 so I can tell which camera took the image.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do similar to separate my different Olympus cameras too (P for E30, O E-M5 & M for E-M1).