I made myself a new monopod this summer. I harvested a nice piece of maple early in the spring and let it dry in the heat of our garage (the sun really heats it up - no insulation). I cut the pole to length allowing for the height of a small Cullman ballhead that I already owned. I carved a face into the front - my first attempt at carving. Then I drilled into the top and inserted a 1/4 20 bolt and glued it inplace with epoxy. I cut the head off of the bolt and filed the edges. I cut a circular piece of rubber, put a hole in the center and glued it down around the bolt to hold the base of the ballhead steady. I stained the face and used exterior poly on the whole staff. I drilled a hole for a leather card near the handgrip. The result: Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available) It's actually taller than this, but you get the idea. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available) Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available) It makes a great walking stick and a fun monopod.