Custom lens adapters? Critical measurements...

qball

Mu-43 Regular
If one were to make a custom adapter for the micro 4/3 camera for an odd lens, what is the critical "measurement"?

I assume it's something like flange to "film registration" plane? Or something like that.

It seems that the various legacy lens adapters for micro 4/3 vary in length (i.e., depth).

I have a couple of old Argus lenses and think it might be a neat experiment to try and fabricate an adapter of some sort.

Your thoughts?

red

Mu-43 Veteran
I also own two Argus cameras

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

... and a set of fitting lenses. So I built an adapter. I found an old set of macro tubes with the Argus screw mount. Because I use a LTM to MFT adapter I tried to combine this with a small M39 screw tube. After some empiric experiments I glued both tubes together.

So I'm able to use all these lenses... (Soligor 135, Sandmar 100, Sandmar 35, Cintar 50)

on my GF1 (here with the Sandmar 35mm)

I made some tests... and the results are more than expected (here as a sample with the Soligor 135)

and two original sized cutouts

Comments are welcome!

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It seems that the various legacy lens adapters for micro 4/3 vary in length (i.e., depth).
Some of this is intentional, as different manufacturers' mounts have different flange-to-film/sensor distances. Some of it is poor design of lower cost adapters, resulting in lenses that either can't focus to infinity or that can focus beyond. For example, it seems that the Fotodiox MD -> :43: do not allow you to focus to infinity.

peak4

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi, You will find lots of useful measurements Here on Wikipedia
With a bit of basic adding and subtracting, you should be able to work out the critical thicknesses of any adaptors you need

nseika

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lois
Minor thing is the screw detail. Not exactly critical and irrelevant on bayonet mounts.
The lens’ “top” (where the dof marks are) could be some degrees to the left or right when attached to the camera.
For example, it seems that the Fotodiox MD -> :43: do not allow you to focus to infinity.
In the other hand, my M42 and Nikon F mount adapter “focus” beyond infinity (a bit too short).
Better than can’t focus to infinity though

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom