1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Custom lens adapters? Critical measurements...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by qball, Nov 7, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    If one were to make a custom adapter for the micro 4/3 camera for an odd lens, what is the critical "measurement"?

I assume it's something like flange to "film registration" plane? Or something like that.

It seems that the various legacy lens adapters for micro 4/3 vary in length (i.e., depth).

I have a couple of old Argus lenses and think it might be a neat experiment to try and fabricate an adapter of some sort.

Your thoughts?

2. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    I also own two Argus cameras

red_gf1_argus_c3.

red_gf1_argus_c3mm.

... and a set of fitting lenses. So I built an adapter. I found an old set of macro tubes with the Argus screw mount. Because I use a LTM to MFT adapter I tried to combine this with a small M39 screw tube. After some empiric experiments I glued both tubes together.

red_gf1_argus_tubes.

So I'm able to use all these lenses... (Soligor 135, Sandmar 100, Sandmar 35, Cintar 50)

red_gf1_argus_lenses.

on my GF1 (here with the Sandmar 35mm)

red_gf1_argus35.

red_gf1_argus35s.

I made some tests... and the results are more than expected (here as a sample with the Soligor 135)

red_gf1_soligor135.

and two original sized cutouts

red_gf1_soligor_crop1.

red_gf1_soligor_crop2.

Comments are welcome!

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Some of this is intentional, as different manufacturers' mounts have different flange-to-film/sensor distances. Some of it is poor design of lower cost adapters, resulting in lenses that either can't focus to infinity or that can focus beyond. For example, it seems that the Fotodiox MD -> :43: do not allow you to focus to infinity.

4. peak4

peak4 Mu-43 Rookie

Hi, You will find lots of useful measurements Here on Wikipedia
    With a bit of basic adding and subtracting, you should be able to work out the critical thicknesses of any adaptors you need

5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Minor thing is the screw detail. Not exactly critical and irrelevant on bayonet mounts.
    The lens’ “top” (where the dof marks are) could be some degrees to the left or right when attached to the camera.
    In the other hand, my M42 and Nikon F mount adapter “focus” beyond infinity (a bit too short).
    Better than can’t focus to infinity though