Custom dial settings: what do you use?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kadamnation, Oct 16, 2013.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I jumped on the GX7 bandwagon last week, and am loving it so far--much closer to what I'd been looking for than my old OM-D. As I get used to a new body, though, I was curious to know how y'all choose to set your custom dial modes on your cameras?

For anyone whose camera comes with C1, C2, etc on the mode dial, what do you use those for?
  2. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Giving a partial answer to my own question, in case it helps! I've settled on my first custom settings mode--Bulb-release shutter, low ISO, stabilization and noise reduction disabled, RAW+Fine jpg, and narrowest aperture, for landscape and long-exposure night photography.

This is a new type of shooting for me, so having the settings readily available should make it easier to experiment!

Now to decide what to do for C2 - C5... :)
  3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I've only had the new camera for a week, so I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. I haven't paid enough attention to the "sets" of my configurations to build custom configs. I'll probably end up with one for dragonflies (moderate ISO, f8-10, AFS with override, focus peak on) and one for biking - (AFC, shutter speed mode, AFC or AFF, burst mode, etc)
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    I saw your first post, but couldn't think of what to respond with, as I haven't set up the Cx much yet. I was excited when I saw the GX7 had them, as I used U1/U2 on my D7000 all the time:

U1 = Landscape, cityscapes, static stuff
    U2 = follow the kids around

On the GX7, C1 is set as my base: A mode, ISO 200, WB Auto, level indicators on, Single shot, etc.

Need to chase the kids? I use iAuto.
    Need to give the camera to a waiter for a group shot? iAuto again.
    Exposure Bracketing for an HDR? Hit Drive Mode, scroll to Auto Bracket, select.
    Low light/evenings/indoors? Sounds like a good choice for C2: Auto ISO, ISO Limit 1600

I seem to be able to change the settings quickly enough that I'm not sure what else to do with the Cs.