1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Custom camera bag inserts?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jloden, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've about pulled out all my hair trying to find an insert for my two favorite bags to use them as camera bags. I must have looked at 50 different places by now and no joy. I ended up buying a Thinktank Retrospective to use in the meantime but I'd still really like to find an insert that fits one or both of my two other bags. I'm looking for an insert to fit these: Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack at 8"L x 3"W x 9"D, and Maxpedition Noatak Gearslinger at 11"L x 4"W x 7"D.

Does anyone know if there's a custom camera bag insert maker out there that can make inserts to given dimensions? I did find Courierware's customizable inserts, but they have a minimum size that's still bigger than my bag in at least one dimension. Of course, if you know of a maker that has premade inserts that fit the above that'd be welcome too.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Crumpler Haven, perhaps?

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did look at the Haven and the measurements look like it's still too wide for at least my Jumbo. Might be able to use one with the Noatak but ideally I'd prefer an insert without the drawcord top like on the Crumpler, for easier access.

4. burro39

burro39 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Cupertino CA
    Paul
  5. the_jaguar

the_jaguar New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2012
    I have been looking at getting this bag too. Based on what i have read so far, the insert that works for this bag is "Domke 720-2JP J-series end pocket insert". Here is a review that talks more about it - Amazon.com: cc's review of Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack

What do you think about the bags? How well do they work on hiking trips? I am looking for a camera bag that I can hike with and also use as a regular camera bag walking down the street, etc...

• Like Like x 1
  6. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I grabbed my camera bag inserts off of eBay and have been very happy with them. Just search "camera bag insert" and you'll get a lot of options. But unfortunately, I don't know of any custom options, but they do give you all the dimensions and you can figure out if it'll work.

7. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    Korean Ciesta from eBay.cost around sgd$40 for medium size.way cheaper than Crumpler.using for 5 years now.

on Nokia 8800

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I can't believe you found that, I must have looked a dozen times for anything referencing a compatible insert! Maybe I'll give that Domke a try - the only concern I have is it doesn't show in any of the pictures if it has a divider in the middle. WIthout a divider it's not that useful, but maybe I could jury rig something. I think I'll order one and give it a try, so fingers crossed.

As far as the Maxpedition bags, I've owned several:

• Noatak Gearslinger
    • Sitka Gearslinger
    • Jumbo Versipack
    • Condor II
    • Falcon II

They were all extremely durable, well built, and easily extensible with the pouches and pockets. Maxpedition gear is even teflon and PU coated, so it is water and stain resistant. No exaggeration, my first Jumbo in foliage green was schlepped all over the world until I replaced it with a black model and gave the old one to a good friend. I saw it recently and you can barely tell it's not still brand new.

I love my Jumbo as an everyday carry bag (the Noatak was what I carried before that, but it was more conspicuous and not as comfortable to carry with no waist belt). It's definitely the most comfortable of the Maxpedition packs I've used, because of the clip on waist belt. It's still a one-shoulder design, but if I'm walking around for an extended period I'll clip the belt on to offload the weight onto my hips. The Jumbo is about as comfortable as any shoulder bag can get: good padded & adjustable shoulder strap, padded back and side that's shaped to conform around your hip, and the belt for weight transfer. That and the excellent organization are the big reason why I'm trying so hard to find a suitable insert for it. It also doesn't hurt that it doesn't look like a typical camera bag or nearly as much like a purse as many of the other designs out there. Not that there's anything wrong with a man purse :eek:

EDIT: Got sidetracked and forgot to answer your other question. With regards to hiking: I wouldn't carry my Jumbo hiking personally, I am a stickler for comfort and a shoulder bag is just not comfortable for a long hike for me. Nothing specific to the Jumbo; as I said it's about as comfortable as it can get, but my preference would always be a two-strap pack.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've got 2 domke inserts. They might make nice bags, but their inserts are truly awful. Think nylon (not nicer soft fabric) stuffed with pre-cut thin foam pieces that aren't even completely sewn into the nylon (open bottoms) and that sums up the domke inserts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, I tried one Domke insert already that turned out not to fit despite my best attempts, and I wasn't impressed. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to return it because our dog ate it last night :rolleyes: It's better than no padding, but if I could find something nicer that'd be a bonus.

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I fold mine flat and use it to pad my messenger bag - it works best folded flat! Kind of sad :)

12. the_jaguar

the_jaguar New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2012
    Thanks much for the detailed feedback. I will buy one from Amazon and see how it feels. Any other retailers you would recommend specifically?

13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I bought most of my Maxpedition gear on Amazon except for a couple pouches that weren't in stock, which I bought direct from Maxpedition. LA Police Gear does have some good sales and if you watch amazon even they'll have price drops occasionally. Note that different colors tend to have difference prices too so if you're flexible you can get the cheapest price.

Make sure you review the Maxpedition site for the entire line of Versipacks - they have lots of models with slight variations. I like the original Jumbo but you might prefer a left-hand version, or a model with slightly different features (different pockets, larger or smaller size, with/without water bottle holder etc.).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    i found this partition camera bag had many value. I bought from korean ebay seller, for my Lowepro Compuday 150 if i need to carry on both body...and surprisingly fitted with my cycling messanger bag as an alternate from my slingshot for riding a bike...the patition had only 3 slot divider.

15. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Try these? The seller sells a bag I'm looking at, and maybe some of those will fit your specification?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Yes, I had something like that I side compartment

17. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Bumping up this old thread to see if OP or anyone else has found inserts that fit the Jumbo Versipack well.

18. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I ended up having a custom insert made shortly after this thread was posted originally. However, since then I picked up the new Crumpler Haven small and can confirm it fits the Jumbo Versipack like a glove (and it's a lot cheaper option!).

• Like Like x 1
  19. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Perhaps a bit off topic but I have the Colossus versipack from Maxpedition. It's a love/hate affair that I still drag for some reason, although I found a better alternative in the shape of a Lowepro Passport (ver. 1.0) with different inserts (Crumpler Haven L and M respectively).

Like: tons of compartments, although I prefer to secure a lot of items in my pockets rather than in a bag (wallet, multitool, flashlight, cellphone.) I prefer to abide by the philosophy of "never keep all your eggs in a basket".

Dislike: The thing is useless. I cut my fingers under my fingernails (!!!) lots of times, catching the sharp velcro pieces inside. Other than the Crumpler M, there's nothing I can put in it as an insert. I had to buy a bottle MOLLE pouch for (of course!) a bottle, and packing a jacket is out of question (save for a REALLY packable onion skin but I live in Canada. That doesn't do good to me.) Added bonus, I look like I'm at work, the thing screams "tacticool."

Ontopic: the best insert for the Colossus is the Crumpler M (the black/red one.) If you don't mind the weight of the bag alone, and live in a mediterranean to tropical climate, Maxpedition might just be an awesome bag.

Finally - I am replying to a topic from 2012. Since I got my Colossus in 2007, it softened up really nice. I hope OP's did too, as Maxpedition's bags tend to be a bit on the hard side lately.

20. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Monochrom Anybag: http://www.monochrom.com/Monochrom-Anybag-50.htm?websale8=mono-c&pi=17999&Ctx={ver%2f8%2fver}{st%2f3eb%2fst}{cmd%2f0%2fcmd}{m%2fwebsale%2fm}{s%2fmono-c%2fs}{l%2f01-aa%2fl}{mi%2f000817%2fmi}{pi%2f17999%2fpi}{sf%2f%3Cs1%3Eanybag%3C%2fs1%3E%2fsf}{p1%2fd6628228d6ea9adf01ea57af58f15844%2fp1}{md5%2fb8305b36c320d84339e8cbc10fc4f7b0%2fmd5}