Curse You Gold Box Special!!!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dixeyk, Jul 13, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I picked up a GX1 yesterday with the Amazon special price. I have been doing a lot of consolidation and selling off of gear and have been for a while thinking I might want to update my camera as well. I switched all my MF stuff to my NEX and my m43 stuff is gong to be for AF and when I want something faster and more convenient. One nice thing about the GX1 is that it answered my question about whether or not I should pick up a PL25/1.4 or wait for the rumored Olympus 25/1.8.

So now I have THREE m43 bodies and I really don't need or want all three. I have an E-P1 and GF2 (both in amazing condition) and one of them is going to hit the bricks. At first I thought it would be the E-P1 because the GF2 I have is faster, better video, better handling and in general an all around better's even RED! The E-P1 is a sentimental favorite but it doesn't have much going for it over the GF2. That said, the GX1 has everything the GF2 has only better so I am thinking maybe keep the E-P1 just to have a slightly different set of strengths (IBIS for instance). I am going to keep one of the two cameras because I am teaching my so n about photography and it'll be the one he uses. He's partial to the GF2...but he's also nine so mostly he likes it because it's red.

Right now I am leaning toward keeping the GF2 if for no other reason because it uses the same battery as the GX1.

Any suggestions?
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Ha! Like I'm in any position to give you advice! I took advantage of the same GX1 special yesterday. It was just too good to pass up. So, I now have the G3, GX1 and E-PM1. Now, I have deserving nieces who I can gift my G3 to should I decide to either upgrade to a G5 or even buy a close-out GH2 when the time comes (both of those camera bodies would be great for my longer/larger lenses). Ditto for the E-PM1. And - what's this? - I picked up a Fuji X10 last week! But here's the thing: I've been very busy and have yet to open the X10's box. I could just take it back. Does anyone think there's any way to justify the X10 given my current micro four-thirds lineup?
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    You have been spinning in the wind for many days now! Hope you can figure out your mind on this one.

My two cents -- I tried to get my kids into photography. You can't make them do it. I finally got a waterproof/shockproof Oly P&S, reasoning at least she can take it in the pool, and my daughter spends more time taking a shot, and then applying frames and music (options in the P&S) with the camera, and making run-around-the-house POV movies. If that's what she wants to do (and she's 11) more than learn about f/stops and DOF, then who am I to make photography boring for her. Let her follow her joy.

It sounds like you are keeping the EP1 for your own reasons, not his. If he has real interest, then keep the one he wants. It should be his choice, and not yours, IMO, if you truly want him to get into it.

My opinion is, unless your son is really showing interest in photography, an interchangeable lens system might be overkill, so keep the GX1 and sell the other two.

What I REALLY want to say (and have written and deleted a couple of times in your other threads) is that you should just sell all your m43 gear, go whole hog into NEX, then come back home in 6 months when you sell your NEX stuff. That's the way it usually goes. (I've posted 'they always return' so many times, I'm going to put it in my siggy.)

Just sayin'

Feel free to ignore.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Keep the red one, your son likes it.
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I appreciate what you said. You pretty much pegged what I have been wrestling with. I have been leaning toward just selling off all my m43 gear and going all in on the NEX because I am finding I REALLY enjoy using it in ways that I never have with m43. That is what I have been struggling with over the past month or so. You see I have an investment in this community and am not keen on leaving it just yet (besides it's a ghost town over at TalkNEX). The solution I came to is go as minimalist as possible with m43. There are definitely times when I prefer using AF and for the most part I really don't care for the NEX options with regard to AF lenses. FWIW I had been considering an E-P3 so I could sell off the GF2 and the E-P1 and go down to the bare bones but when the GX1 showed up on sale yesterday it seemed like a better option for me so I grabbed it. I am thinking of picking up a Sigma 30/2.8 AF lens (only $200) for the NEX to see how I like using the NEX that way as well. Might be the first step toward going all NEX but I doubt it. The appeal of m43 for me isn't the gear it's the people here. That alone is worth it for me to maintain a body and some lenses.

Good advice on my son and photography. In truth he likes using his iPod camera and a little Panasonic ZS3 I have to make lego "movies" so I bought him a little tripod to help out. What he really wants to do with me is to have me teach him the sword...the problem is that he's not ready for that yet. He needs a bit more growth and maturity before that will work. Really I think I like the GF2 because it's red. The E-P1 I really don't like all that much as a camera. I like its form and for what it represents but in use...not so much.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I went through this with my daughter. I really wanted her to go for a GF3 or E-PM1 (so I could use it with 14/2.5 or 20/1.7 for a compact option), figuring small was good for little hands, but she wanted a VF and flip screen and video, so hello GH1. Just as well in the end, as she doesn't seem all that interested in sharing "her" camera with me. Though she is eyeing up my E-M5...

At the end of the day I am glad that she is into it enough to understand the options and have an opinion of what she wants. Better that than me getting what I want and her not having any real interest.