Curse my love of the 12-40!

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Whatever happened with your lens choices?
How did the trip pan out?
Good questions. I ended up buying a smaller Tenba insert which held my gear, albeit a bit more tightly than I would have liked. But, it slimmed down the profile of the bag and ended up working well on the trip. In the insert were the E-M1 w/12-40 attached, the compact 35-100, the 20 and the GF7 w/12-32. The 12-40 did most of the work, and the 35-100 saw very little use. The GF7 was handy when we went to a concert and I did not have to carry anything more than the camera in my pocket. If I were to do the trip over again, I would carry the same set-up. The 12-40 is an ideal travel lens. I am way behind in culling images, so I have not yet found that special one that I want to enlarge for the wall. And, I highly recommend visiting southern Spain. Beautiful cities, great architecture, delicious food and wonderful people!

--Ken

mfturner

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the update, in a year we're planning a similar trip and I'm pondering a similar setup, glad you had a great time.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I recently picked up a refurbished E-M1 Mk II and would probably bring that body instead. Alternately, if I really wanted to go out on a limb and did not mind spending a bit of money, I might consider a Nikon Z6 with the 24-70 and a prime. I like both formats, but almost always find myself shooting in low light situations and could use all the help I can get. Having said that, I would not object to the E-M1 Mk II (or Mk I) for another trip. The key drivers for me on final selection were gear and an insert that would fit into a messenger bag that I was bringing (that fit into my carry-on). I wanted to carry my gear, but also wanted a bit of room for stuffing a jacket, vest or food in my bag each day. If your needs are different, then there are a lot of options for putting a kit together. I felt that I ended up with a decent compromise. I did not feel like a pack mule, but I had enough gear to meet most tasks at hand.

Happy travels,

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom