1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Currently have GX-1, advice on next used body?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by AngryMountainBiker, Nov 18, 2015.

1. AngryMountainBiker

AngryMountainBiker New to Mu-43

Nov 18, 2015
    Will
    I like to do mountain bike and rock climbing photography. Currently use

GX-1 body, 42mm Pano 1.7 OIS, 20mm Pano 1.7

I know it isn't the best for fast action so I do the best I can, prefocusing, etc. Weight and size are very important as we are already hauling lots of gear.

I'd like to step up to a bit better performance but want to stay around 500 or less and used.

I see some GH3 around $600, am I looking in the right direction? I don't expect to get the performance of new bodies, I know PDAF is available on new models but it looks like I am priced out of those bodies.

So I guess my question is, is there a $500 body that wpuld be a worthy upgrade?

image.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If high performance (buffer, burst rate, autofocus, etc...) for action photography is your main goal, the Panasonic G7 is far and away the best buy for the budget in M4/3 right now. Its AF tracking is regarded to be on par with DSLRs in its class thanks to the Depth from Defocus algorithms Panasonic has. Unfortunately it's a bit bigger, and a bit pricier, since it's only sold as a lens kit.

Someone is selling one in the buy/sell right now for $590 including the 14-42 kit lens. You can easily sell the lens for $90 and there's your $500... Or you could keep it, since the 14-42 II is actually a really sharp, good-performing kit lens, and would give you a bit of a wide angle.

Sensor-wise, with the exception of the GX8, all the currently available 16MP M4/3 sensors are really directly comparable. I noticed a big, big jump up in the dynamic range capabilities when I went from my GX1 to my GX7, and that also helped a lot with low-light.

3. AngryMountainBiker

Nov 18, 2015
    Will
    Hey thanks for the suggestion. At first I didnt notice the built in EVF--nice as the EVF on the GX1 is an awkward add on.

I avoid the kit zooms as I am almost always in a shaded forest, they usually aren't fast enough

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Have you considered a GX7, that should be within your budget.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I love my GX7 to bits but continuous autofocus and burst rates aren't really its forte. The G7 is a big upgrade in this respect. Also 4K photo mode, and a superior EVF.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GM5 is also worth a look, and prices are falling pretty quickly. I really like mine, consider it another "spiritual successor" to the GX1.

7. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    What are the aspects of the GX1 that aren't satisfying you? And what are your priorities? You don't mention whether video matters to you. And it is always possible a change in lenses would help you more than a change in bodies. (The 20mm is notoriously slow focusing and while a wonderful lens, might be the worst possible lens for shooting action pictures of bicycles.)

Honestly, I think you should just replace the 20mm with one of the 25mm lenses out there. Or with the Panasonic 15mm or Olympus 17mm lens, depending on your focal length preferences. The new Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is cheap and would fit the bill, while the Olympus 17mm and 25mm lenses are a bit more expensive, but also smaller and slightly better made.

If you want to replace the camera instead, from what I gather, you want an EVF, better low-light performance, and faster focusing while remaining small. The GM5 would fit the bill and can be had at the price you mentioned. The original E-M10 also would, though it is a bit larger.

8. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Nice shot! I use the GM1 for most of my mountain biking. It's not the best from a pure photography perspective (mainly no evf) and the c-af isn't great, but it's tiny and the photo quality is excellent. I can't really speak to how it compares to the GX1. For me, something like a GM5 would be ideal. I'm sure something like a G7 would be a better camera to use, but I'm not sure I want to haul it around in my pack. It all depends on the trade-offs you're willing to make in terms of size and weight vs. features and ergonomics.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To be honest, the biggest hindrance for action AF is your 20mm. It doesn't even support Continuous AF due to the AF motor type.

10. AngryMountainBiker

Nov 18, 2015
    Will
    Thanks for the replies. My interest would be better autofocus primarily, so the info about the lens is very helpful. Video is not a priority.

One thing I noticed with the GX1 is that I have a hard time timing the shutter release correctly. Its as if whatever lag between the press and then the subsequent blanking of the EVF (which I use most of the time) makes it hard for me to be consistent in a way that I felt with a DSLR.

I need more practice, clearly, is this a case of me trying to correct my bad skills with equipment? I guess I am hoping to find a more precise instrument around this price point that could help.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The GM1 and GM5 both have the next generation sensor and both are a bit smaller than the GX1. The GH3 is significantly larger. If you could live with a fixed 28mm, I would look at the Ricoh GR. If you shoot in mostly good light and are OK with a wide angle lens, it is easier to zone focus and probably a faster shooter than any M43 camera, and it creates files that are significantly (maybe dramatically) better.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    AF and the blackout times are better on most of the newer bodies and the E-shutter can cut some of the blanking time a bit. But your 20mm may be part of the issue as well. Do you notice the same issues with the 42.5? I also have both of those and the 42.5 is faster. But then I think many of use might be spoiled by how fast many of the m4/3 are. My 20mm is the slowest to AF m4/3 lens, but not really sure I'd call it slow.

If you're a primary EVF user I'm not sure I would recommend the GM5, the GX7 or G7 (or one of the OMDs) would probably be better.

13. AngryMountainBiker

Nov 18, 2015
    Will
    I haven't shot the 42.5 very much yet, so I am still learnimg the framing and timing but yes, it does seem better.

Based on these helpful replies and reading, and seeing what is available at this budget I think I may wait and save a bit more to get further into better performance. Meanwhile I think have plenty of improvement to my skills with this system to keep me busy. Thank you all.

14. AngryMountainBiker

Nov 18, 2015
    Will
    Just a follow up. I ended up making a more significant investment than I first planned. I decided to quit worrying about a few pounds, and dollars, and after handling one in real life, I ended up getting a Canon 7d M2--their sports and wildlife body with APC-S sensor and awesome auto ISO range. Plus 10fps. Sealed.

I still have and carry the GX-1 so this forum is still relevant for me, but I may be over at the Canon forums more for a while! :) Thanks for all the input, it was very helpful.

15. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I used to have a 7D (M1) and think you will find it to be an excellent camera for shooting mountain biking--if you're willing to pack it around on the bike and can do so without worrying about what happens to it if/when you wipe out. What lens did you get and what pack are you using for riding with it?

16. AngryMountainBiker

Nov 18, 2015
    Will
    Cool! I got the 2.8 24-70 zoom and a 1.4 50mm prime. Canon included a 13 month damage insurance policy. I didn't read it closely, I assume there's a deductible but its a risk you just have to decide to take I guess. I don't have the lenses insured so I'll be looking into that. Right now I have a Caselogic case that fits it perfectly with the zoom and it just fits in one of my 16L hydration packs. I'm going to get one of the Lowe or fstopper backpacks at some point. The 50mm is light and fast and I'll carry it on long backcountry rides. The zoom is amazing and gives lots of options where its not always feasible to position yourself due to terrain.

Here are a couple of exported jpegs, I set the size to < 5Mb for the xport but otherwise they are uncropped and untouched.

The guy about to crash, ouch, (he was ok) is ISO 100, f3.5, 1/500, 50mm. The guy in air is ISO 100, 2.2,1/1000,50.

I am still learning to use the AF and shoot manual with auto ISO and back button focus etc. Stupidly I took my finger off the shutter just as this guy went over the bars. To be fair he nearly slid into me, through the lens he looked pretty much on top of me and coming my way, so my startle reflex kicked in I guess!

Fountainhead 095.
    Fountainhead 188.

17. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    That would be a very problematic choice. Shutter speeds higher than 1/500 are "faked" using the electronic shutter; this means that the total image is captured a line at a time over about 1/10 the second even if the exposure value is 1/4000. Which can put you in Rolling Shutter Hell if something is moving fast across the lens - baseball bats bend, buses with flat fronts are suddenly streamlined...

(ALWAYS check for this sort of problem when buying a digital camera for action shots!)