Current Situation

This is my current situation about 100 yards from the Resurrection Pass Trailhead on the Hope, Alaska side.

F2CB34EA-F84B-4EFF-A489-41787F915A4D.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

48D2BC16-6172-4A1A-A3D5-788CBB8EC622.jpeg

Rode the first 7 miles of Resurrection Pass Trail today. Tomorrow going to scout an area for a future camping trip as well as getting in a hike on some trail, that part is still up in the air.

So what is your current situation?

Oh, I barely have a signal so the photos took forever to load.

Phocal

Edit - current time is 19:35 and it will still be this light at midnight

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
what is your current situation?
Well, "current" as of last Saturday…
_EM11229.JPG

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
This is my current situation about 100 yards from the Resurrection Pass Trailhead on the Hope, Alaska side.

View attachment 892209

View attachment 892212

Rode the first 7 miles of Resurrection Pass Trail today. Tomorrow going to scout an area for a future camping trip as well as getting in a hike on some trail, that part is still up in the air.

Phocal

Very nice setup, Ronnie.

Very nice setup, Ronnie.

Thanks. I’m slowly putting together a sweet car camping setup. When it comes to backpacking, kayak camping, and bikepacking I have sweet setups but have never been a car camper. Here in Alaska I’ve learned there are advantages to it and a great way to combine other types of activities.

Not exactly current, but the last picture of me having a good time from vacation last week.
OI000126.jpg

Looks like a great spot! Nice Altras, I think i have the same pair. Most comfortable sneakers I've had.

it is, camped here last weekend as well. Came back so I could ride a trail, last week I hiked it.

Those are my 3rd or 4th Altras, the only ones I’ll wear. These are actually my kicking around ones since I got my new ones.
Looks like a great spot! Nice Altras, I think i have the same pair. Most comfortable sneakers I've had.

it is, camped here last weekend as well. Came back so I could ride a trail, last week I hiked it.

Those are my 3rd or 4th Altras, the only ones I’ll wear. These are actually my kicking around ones since I got my new ones

Attachments

• 49640705-9AE6-4F71-830F-F4BCFF21537D.jpeg
    49640705-9AE6-4F71-830F-F4BCFF21537D.jpeg
    771.7 KB · Views: 36

WT21

Mu-43 Legend

View attachment 892209

View attachment 892212

Phocal

The essentials

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Those are my 3rd or 4th Altras, the only ones I’ll wear. These are actually my kicking around ones since I got my new ones.

Those are my 3rd or 4th Altras, the only ones I’ll wear. These are actually my kicking around ones since I got my new ones
Question for you guys who love the Altras:

I bought a pair of Altra Wahweaps a year ago because I liked the look. I love them for just kicking around, but whenever I've worn them for longer walks or hikes my feet really start to ache (much more so than in any other hiking or running shoes I own). I assume this may be due to the "Balanced Cushioning" which has a bit of the barefoot vibe to it and/or to the minimal arch support.

I'm wondering if you guys experienced anything similar? Is this a case where I just have to "retrain" my feet to be comfortable in this type of shoe? Or are these just not the right shoes for my feet and/or gait.

- K

Question for you guys who love the Altras:

I bought a pair of Altra Wahweaps a year ago because I liked the look. I love them for just kicking around, but whenever I've worn them for longer walks or hikes my feet really start to ache (much more so than in any other hiking or running shoes I own). I assume this may be due to the "Balanced Cushioning" which has a bit of the barefoot vibe to it and/or to the minimal arch support.

I'm wondering if you guys experienced anything similar? Is this a case where I just have to "retrain" my feet to be comfortable in this type of shoe? Or are these just not the right shoes for my feet and/or gait.

- K

the problem is your feet are not use to the zero degree drop of the Altras and you are probably use to the unusual amount of padding that goes into shoes. humans were not made to walk with their heel higher than the toes, which is how most shoes are designed. if you keep wearing them your feet will adapt and get use to the zero drop. Altras never bothered me because prior to wearing them I spend about 7 years only wearing Vibram Five Fingers. Just be careful because I can't wear a shoe with anything more than 2-3 degree drop.

since I work in the outdoor industry I get pro deals on the gear I buy and occasionally when someone comes out with a new product I get a mega pro deal. Mega pro deals are super cheap and designed to get us to try out stuff and talk about it afterwards. Solomon came out with a new shoe and offered us a mega pro on them and I was in need of new shoes so I got some. I didn't realize they had a 9 degree drop and after an hour I had to switch shoes because my feet hurt so bad.

moral of the story, pick the type of shoe you want and stick with it. you can't switch between zero degree and a high degree drop without problems.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom