Current favorite m4/3 lens??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kiwi Paul, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    No doubt a repeated thread but things change so whats your current fav m4/3 lens?

My choice is the Oly m9-18 by a narrow margin over the PL 25 not because it's better but just because I'm soooo impressed by it, it's a somewhat under rated lens, I love the focal range, 9 to 18 mm makes it a great walkabout landscape lens, wide enough for everything and long enough for lots of stuff too. Great IQ and so compact.
    The 7-14 by comparison isn't such a great walkabout lens in my view, while the 7mm can be used to great effect the 14mm is just too limiting if its the only lens you are carrying.

G3, m9-18.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Paul... I like all my lenses, each for different imaging objectives.

I do agree that the 9-18 makes for a very good walk around/general purpose lens - somewhat moreso than a 14-42, for example, for me... as I often like to make use of a wider angle of view than 14mm offers. But I couldn't call it a "favorite" - it's just great for what it does when I need that. Other times, the 7-14 meets my needs more. As do the 20/1.7, 45/1.8, 25/1.4, and the 14-140 under varying circumstances.

So, for me there isn't a "favorite" lens, as each and every one offers unique benefits and advantages applicable to particular imaging situations that others lack.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's a toss-up between the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and the Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8....
    In my dream world, that is.... T_T
    • Like Like x 1
  4. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    I really enjoyed going for a walk with the 12mm f/2. I found that I could shoot most of the things that I wanted with the 24mm equivalent focal length, but then I've always gravitated towards wide-angle for most uses. I just picked up a 7-14mm, and if I had a small bag with me, I can see it being a great walkaround lens for me - I tend to use a 28mm on my Leica M6 most of the time, so the 14mm end feels very natural. Having 7mm for the occasional shot is just a bonus!
  5. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I'm currently enjoying the Oly 45mm/F1.8 :smile:
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    When I'm shooting with native lenses I find myself most often using the venerable Panny 14-45mm. Versatile zoom range, very good IQ, fast enough AF and light, so very convenient.
  7. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to use just one lens. I've done it for exercise but it's strenuous exercise!

I guess I'll pick the 20mm.

8. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Without a doubt, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. If I could own only one lens, this would be it.

It is a tiny lens. It is a superlative optic at a silly low price. It is very sharp across the frame. It has very good bokeh. It has a fast maximum aperture. With the automatic distortion correction it is effectively free of reclilinear distortion. What's not to like about such a fine lens?

Some will choose the Panasonic "Leica" 25mm f/1.4. That lens is only a shade faster, is much larger and heavier and at maximum aperture it is sharp only in the very centre of the frame, with the rest very blurred. The edges don't get sharp until you stop down by at least three stops. The bokeh is no better than neutral. It costs a lot of money, mainly because Panasonic has to pay Leica a very large royalty for the use of the brand name. Despite claims to the contrary, it wasn't designed by Leica, and its optical performance falls far short of any current genuine Leica lens. A major disappointment.

So my choice has to be the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, because it performs so much more like a genuine Leica lens than the "Leica" 25mm f/1.4.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Been using the panny 14/2.5 lens for almost a year now. Rarely gets off my epl2
    • Like Like x 2
  10. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    Got my Panny 14mm f2.5 today and so far i am massively impressed with it. It has a great DOF, is super quick at focusing and shoots great video.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    It's my 25mm

No question. It's my Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4. Absolutely, no question.
  12. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Panasonic 20mm. In fact i'm wondering if i really am going to use my other lenses any more !
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I agree the 20mm is a great lens and value for money is a real winner, but the PL 25 is also a great lens, I've had both and prefer the 25 so sold the 20, I find the 25 IQ to be fine at all apertures and it has a certain quality to it that makes the images just that bit special, I found the 20 to be a very good lens but for whatever reason just a bit sterile, lacking something hard to define.

G3 PL 25

14. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    20/1.7 seems to be a great all around lens
  15. srivastava

srivastava Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    To each his own, and often what matters is the subject and not the lens. I have some shots taken on my iPhone that have captured a moment beautifully.

However, the PL 25mm lens stopped me from selling my GX1 after I moved from L1 with the Leica zoom lens. The kit zoom lens with GX1 was pedestrian.

The 25mm lens is plainly awesome . It is more than twice the size of 20mm and almost twice the price...however, the shots taken by it give me immense satisfaction.. It makes me want to shoot more, esp in low light. 20mm felt good and more portable, but lacked the wow factor. Thank you Panasonic , for making the 25mm lens!
  16. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I would say my favorite lens is the 20mm 1.7 as well. I end up buying this lens every time I come back to m43, I've used it on the GF1, G3 and E-P3.

I'll have to update to see what my new favorite lens is going to be once I get the E-M5. I won't be getting the 20mm this time because I won't be able to take advantage of the FAST AF of the newer bodies. I'm going to get the 12mm and 45mm so I'll see which one of those will be my favorite lol
  17. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Without a doubt, the 45mm...I'm impressed with every single shot it takes. I think I also happen to love close-up's/portraits. Terrific price, terrific look, terrific quality.
  18. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I only have the 14-45mm and the 45-200mm at the moment as I've only just moved to M4/3. I think the 45-200mm is my favourite of the two at the moment, but that's only because I've been doing a fair bit of nature/outdoor's at the moment and the lens has done a pretty good job of it.
  19. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Yes, it is a truly delightful lens. It goes beautifully with my favourite Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and I often carry just these two with my G3 body for an ultra-portable outfit. But I wouldn't want the 45mm to be my only lens.
  20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Agreed...tricky focal length, but terrific in a combo with the 20 (or 25).